Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Both. Or at least include the McCoy stuff as a bonus feature. I'm not really sure how much the story would benefit from the McCoy stuff as it doesn't really seem to be all that well done (jump to 33:30)...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4650h76xLk[/yt]

2. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

I've been looking to watch this for quite some time, so I'm happy about a DVD release. I wasn't even aware that it was a Levine project. This projects are often a mixed bag. Some are absolutely terrible. Some are quite nice. I captured his animated version of "Mission to the Unknown" which I thought was good, even if the characters didn't really look like the original actors. I really wanna track down a copy of his "Shada" someday.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a brief interview with McCoy about Downtime:

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

How did this Levine recut work? Did it just add a frame sequence with McCoy?

5. Allyn Gibson

I think it's a framing sequence.

The reason I'm curious about what version of Downtime will be released on DVD is that Levine claimed he had the home video rights to the film and he said it wouldn't be released if it didn't have his additions. I simply can't see the BBC countenancing that.

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The copy of Tomb found in Hong Kong was a film telerecording: no episodes exist on video prior to Ambassadors of Death 1.
    As for the Downtime re-edit, the framing plot has the McCoy Doctor facing the Celestial Toymaker, with the main plot echoing their 'game', but I'm not entirely keen to see it, to be honest.

7. Christopher

The show's wiki says it was the Seventh Doctor facing a resurrected Padmasambhava at Det-Sen Monastery.

8. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would love to see it. It'd be great to see McCoy in a live-action story, even like this.

I'm far less enthused about Ian Levine's re-edit of the videogame cutscenes of Destiny of the Doctors featuring Anthony Ainley... that looks especially patchy.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Sorry about what is probably a dumb question, but I'm not familiar with all the Who fandom machinations. Aren't Levines projects availble to watch ?

10. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm hoping - and obviously the announcement of more missing episodes being found would be great - that it's to announce the special edition re-release of stories such as The War Machines, Enemy of the world, Web of Fear, Horror of Fang Rock and (maybe) The Two Doctors. If that's so and there aren't anymore missing episodes to discover I can embark on my long awaited dream of re-watching every Doctor Who story starting with The Unearthly Child and continuing on to the present.

11. Emperor-Tiberius

Not quite. His Mission to the Unknown is, and his Shada leaked in a re-edited form (his actual edit is said to be unfinished, with at least one "new" scene thats missing from the "released" fan-edit). The rest of his projects are, as he says, private, and won't release them unless the BBC do.

Here's the "trailer" he released, featuring scenes from many (but not all) of his projects, including the ones discussed currently here.

12. Allyn Gibson

We had some discussion here a few years ago about Levine's Downtime recut and his personal projects.

I use the term "personal projects" deliberately. Levine has money, and he spends it on making Doctor Who for his own amusement. Sometimes it's to finish something unfinished (like Shada), sometimes it's to animate something lost (like Mission to the Unknown). Sometimes he reedits something to make it into what he considers "proper Doctor Who" (like making "Pudsey Cutaway" a JNT-style regeneration sequence or whatever he did with "Time-Crash" to give it a cliffhanger). He has no time for the novels or audios, which he considers nothing more than fan fiction.

Levine wants fandom to see what he's done, but he won't release them on his own because he knows that the Beeb owns Doctor Who and he doesn't want to get on their bad side. He has approached the BBC about releasing some of them (like his animated Shada). The BBC has said politely declined. And he's been upset when people have leaked his productions to the 'net; besides the personal betrayal (not unjustified), he knows that the BBC won't reconsider their stance if the material is floating around out there.

13. Christopher

How many versions of "Shada" are out there now? There's the old home-video version with Tom Baker's narration bridging the existing footage. There's the audio/Flash reconstruction with the Eighth Doctor. There's the recent novelization. And now there's this Levine thing? Is there some consensus about which version is the "real" one? Is the encounter with Professor Chronotis something that was experienced by the Fourth Doctor or the Eighth? (And that's not even getting into Dirk Gently...)

14. Emperor-Tiberius

Well, I'm surprised you ask, Christopher, because it was fairly well known an incident late 2013... unless you didn't want to know.

Anyway, here's a list:

* An unifnished Shada exists, with title cards filling in for the missing scenes. Only few fans know of these, underground stuff. The person responsible for the title cards? Ian Levine himself...

* The JNT-approved, 1992 released Shada with Tom Baker as some kind of curator (hm...) narrating the missing parts.

* Gareth Roberts' novel adaptation of the story, written in Doug Adams' style.

* The Gary Russell-authored Eighth Doctor version for Big Finish, with a (pointless) prologue that says how the adventure was supposed to have happened, but The Five Doctors prevented 4 and Romana to undergo it. Why, of course, it took him four lifetimes to realize this, is puzzling, but whatever.

* An audiobook version read by Lalla Ward and John Leeson, I believe.

* Ian Levine's rough cut of it, which included a scene of the Doctor and Romana before their actual first scene in the Cambridge canal.

* 2013's leaked re-edit of Ian Levine's rough cut, which pretty much follows the script to the letter - which means, the above scene was excised, and sound effects were polished (or so the leaker says).

* A breakfast cereal that includes a puzzle of the story. Winner gets the missing scenes in marshmallow form.

15. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The audiobook is the same as the Gareth Roberts book (it's not a brand new novelization as BBC Audio have done with some other titles).

16. Emperor-Tiberius

Good catch. I just wasn't sure. Thanks!

17. Allyn Gibson

Nope. :)

I think the Big Finish version is meant to be the "real" one. Because of the events of "The Five Doctors" and the Timescoop, the fourth Doctor and Romana don't have their adventure with Professor Chronotis, so to keep time from falling to pieces, the eighth Doctor and Romana have to live the adventure that didn't happen.

What I find amusing about IDW's Dirk Gently comic is how much Dirk looks like the love child of David Tennant and Ian Marter. Which I guess is appropriate.

As for Professor Chronotis, I once dreamed of a BBC Radio program that was an hour-long scholarly debate between Professor Chronotis and Stephen Fry's Professor Trefusis. It was brilliant and everything you would expect of a collaboration between Douglas Adams and Stephen Fry, and I was disappointed to wake and discover that no such thing existed.

18. Christopher

Funny... I'm currently 3/4 of the way through the DVD set of the short-lived (but pretty good) Dirk Gently TV series, and I was thinking that Dirk (Stephen Mangan) looked and sounded kind of like a cross between Tom Baker and Benedict Cumberbatch. Maybe with a bit of Paul McGann and Eric Idle too.

19. Emperor-Tiberius

The Big Finish Shada isn't nearly as funny or charming as the Fourth Doctor version. IMO, in its re-edited Levine form, thats the best, more complete version yet.

BF just hurried this for no reason. If they didn't we might've gotten a Lost Story treament of it by now, and maybe a deal between BF and the BBC could've been reached for an actual, official version.

20. Allyn Gibson

First, the BBC commissioned Shada from Big Finish for the 40th-anniversary. Big Finish didn't "hurry" this of their own volition; they made an audio they were paid to make. Shada wasn't their decisiion.

Second, Big Finish approached Tom Baker to star. He turned them down, as he had turned them down before. At the time, Baker simply wasn't interested in reprising the Doctor on audio. With Baker not interested, Big Finish was going to have to fill the role of the Doctor with someone. McGann probably isn't the obvious choice; given Gary Russell's framing sequence, an argument can be made that Davison is the logical choice to repair the "missing" adventure in the aftermath of "The Five Doctors." Still, the point is, since they had to make Shada and Baker wasn't going to be a part of it, and they weren't interested in recasting Doctors at that point in time, then their options were limited.

I get that you think Big Finish's Shada was a missed opportunity at best or an outright mistake at worst. But you're blaming them for decisions that were out of their hands.