New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old July 3 2014, 02:32 AM   #91
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Could a Kickstarter Campaign Help Start a New Series?

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
But maybe there really isn't. If CBS though that a new Trek TV series was a slam dunk profit-wise, it would either already be here or deep into development.
It's clearly not a slam dunk, especially with all the variables at play. But at some point in the future, it will be profitable enough. Right now the movies are doing just fine in that regard.

I think it will take a successful Star Wars live action series to spur a Star Trek production. Other sci-fi television is going to have to set a precedent first, and there are some hurdles to get there.
True. At some point, a sci-fi TV series of some kind will get popular, rake in tons of money, and the people at CBS will say "Hey! We have that kind of crap sitting in storage! Let's do something with it!"
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 10:56 AM   #92
I am not Spock
Commodore

otomo wrote: View Post
I just started watching the Phase II fan series today while sick at home, and I have to say the episode quality writing and production wise is so high (especially the newest episodes) that really, why do we need "official"? Official is just some people at CBS anyway, it's not like they're going to have Gene Roddenberry's work or David Gerrold/Harlan Ellison writing episodes. So their fanfic has a license, just fund the stuff that's done by the people who truly have a love for the show.

That said, a licensed trek kickstarted would generate millions in less than a few hours.
The fan series I've seen show such a care and passion for the original series that they make up part of my personal canon.
Old July 10 2014, 11:44 AM   #93
Pupp
Ensign

Money isn't the issue, it's lack of direction.

The Abramsverse is just that: an alt version of Star Trek designed for the sole purpose of rebooting TOS with modern filmography.

As far as a series: CBS has 2 choices: something on the small or something on the epic.

Small would be essentially having the focus on a purpose built ship.
Examples:

1. Medical Ship. It goes around stamping out medical emergencies, with just enough leeway that it can get some epic stories in there without having devote more than an episode or two to the more epic story.

2. Crime fighting ship. A Crime Scene Investigation ship. (Personally I'm rather tepid about the idea).

4. Engineering ship. Sounds promising. Dunno if they ever got any suggestions on that. The stars are the limit on engineering stories.

I'm sure people can find a few more examples of a single ship series which can have plenty of stories without having to step on the toes of prior series.

The OTHER option:

Do an epic series. TNG and DS9 were both epic series, having plenty of individual stories, and some more epic stories. DS9 took it the next level when they introduced the Dominion War, and made it more of a week to week series, rather than just self contained episodes which could be viewed in any order. (Excluding a few 2 part stories, TNG didn't really have a viewing order for the episodes, and neither did ToS).

I'm fairly certain any series that CBS does, it will lend more to the week to week style, since people enjoy that, plus it lends itself to having an audience that is more engaged and likely to watch the next episode to see what happens. Most prime time shows are like that nowadays, and have been for many years.
Pupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 11:53 AM   #94
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Pupp wrote: View Post
2. Crime fighting ship. A Crime Scene Investigation ship. (Personally I'm rather tepid about the idea).
You know, I would totally watch CSI: Qo'noS.
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 12:58 PM   #95
Pupp
Ensign

One thing CBS could do is an epic series, then spin off of the other smaller concepts. That way they could have the EPIC series as the core, and the *spin offs can weave themselves around that core.. occasionally even intersecting with that epic series. I'd say in a much more integrated way than TNG did with DS9...

...yet the spin off series should be able to stand on their own and only intersect when the timing is ripe.

*that is the smaller scale stuff like a medical or engineering ship.
Pupp is offline   Reply With Quote