House: 5x04 "Birthmarks" - Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Oct 14, 2008.

?

Grade episode.

1. Excellent

68.8%
  2. Good

25.0%
  3. Above Average

6.3%
  4. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

From TV.com:

House Medical Reviews

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  2. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Due to the dearth of new House last week, I grabbed Season Two (the only one I actually own on DVD) to tide me over. I was pleased to discover that there hasn't really been a significant drop in quality since then, which is quite an achievement in television. Looking forward to tonight!

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

But didn't House himself seem less ascerbic to you?

4. Trekker4747

Having watched some of the first season over again myself, it seemed the show took on a more farcical tone and House became more of a cartoon character himself as the series has progressed. In the first season he had plenty of moments of real humanity and compassion shining through.

The show's tone changed a lot in the second season and it seemed to take itself a little less seriously and now it seems the patients and medical mysteries are taking more and more of a back-seat as we get involved in the various characters' lives. I mean, hell, when was the last time we had a clinic patient? They we're half of the fun of the show!

I think the show is still great, Laurie is still awesome, House is still a fascinating character, but if you watch any season one episode and then watch any season 2 and onward episode you can see a pretty big difference in how the show takes itself.

5. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Differences, yes, but the show is still a good one. That's what I really meant: that despite all the changes it remains good television.

6. Neroon

Absolutely NO argument with that whatsoever. :lol:

Now, on to tonight's episode. Not as many of the whipping smart insults... but enough! And I like this sheriff/deputy/peace officer .... he's alright!!!

"The war is over, Greg. Do this for me."

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Will House get a DNA sample from James Bond now to see if there's a match?, Maybe trip on him after he walks back in the room, pulling off some hair.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I liked the road trip stuff. I was especially impressed when I saw that House was actually drugged and woke up to find that he was being driven to the funeral by Wilson. When House smiled, I'm sure a lot of people watching felt the same way. Another good moment was when House went up to the coffin to clip off a sample and Wilson with teeth clenched went all... "Jesus House what are you doing!!" on him. It was also nice to see that they managed to get R. Lee Ermey back to play a dead body.

By the way, what happened between Taub and his wife? Last I saw, she was surprising him with a car and things seemed good.

That's a pretty good assessment. I noticed a lot of what you're saying. The show does feel a lot more sensationalized now that it's a hit. Sometimes I do wish it was still the low-key mystery driven show it used to be.

9. Neroon

How many of us were skeptical of House's emotional display during his speech... but really wanted it to be sincere?

We saw Taub obviously appreciative of the gift, but then he looks pitiably and says "We need to talk." And that's where it ended and all we know. Except for something mentioned earlier by House or Taub. I can't recall who or what was said, though.

10. Neroon

Agreed on the difference between seasons, as I've noticed the same thing while watching reruns from S1 followed by a few S4 episodes. And like you 007, at times I wish it were less sensational and more like those earlier episodes. Yet I have to wonder how long the show would enjoy its ratings if it didnt' change in some way. Of course, next week's episode seems to amp up the sensationalism just a weeeee bit. ;)

11. Trekker4747

Dammit!

Comcast TiFaux cut-off at the end right after Wilson said "I'm not even sure we get to choose who our friends are..."

:mad: :mad: :scream: :scream:

What happened after that?!

12. Neroon

I don't recall that. Was it in the episodes or the trailer for next week's episode? I'm checking the recording right now

13. Trekker4747

It was in the episode.

Wilson goes into House's office, they talk, House shows him the DNA test, then Wilson says something, "Well we don't get to choose who our parents are. I'm not even sure we get to choose who our friends are..."

"DELETE RECORDING. SAVE RECORDING"

Trekker, Menu->Series Options->House->Stop Recording->Five Minutes after.

14. Neroon

Not that it's any consolation for you, but the same thing happened to me. I don't recall everything after that point, but I do remember the two of them walking back out of House's office, House stops and says, "my dad died." in a voice that is somewhere between blankness and realization

I've adjusted my own recording as well, especially given that I did not record thre trailer.

15. Trekker4747

This episode was a little longer than normal, I guess, so I suppose the cable boxes didn't get the memo and and weren't set automatically to be adjusted. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess then that House and Wilson are "back together", I guess next week Wilson will be back as head of Oncology in the office across from House's balcony.

---

Anyway. This was a great episode and pretty much what I expected, that it would set into motion the series of events that brought House and Wilson "back together" as that writing was pretty much on the wall. (As I've said before, this show loves to maintain a certain status quo.)

But I loved this episode, I loved that Cuddy "pulled a House" on House by drugging him. :lol: From House's grin he liked it too. :lol: Good episode and shows a bit more deeper into House and his "father's" relatuonship and into House and Wilson's.

One of the better character-driven episodes of the series.

The POTW stuff mostly felt like filler -as it tends to be when the show bogs itself down with the chracter stuff- but interesting non-the-less. When they started focusing on her parents saying they didn't "have a daughter" I half-expected some-sort-of reveal that the girl was really male with undecended testes or something like that (though we've already had a patient on the show who was "immune to testosterone" and thus grew up female even though geneticly male) but the medical mystery was an interesting twist, none the less.

Good episode all around. I vote Excellent.

16. Neroon

I'm glad that they didn't drag this Wilson/House reconciliation out much longer than they did. I could have dealt with a few more episodes, but pretty soon it'd get to be too much and extremely annoying.

Was the show itself longer or were the commercial breaks longer? Granted, the end result is the same for the viewer.

17. Trekker4747

Yeah, as I said these arcs/"shake ups" rarely last long. So-far the longest lasting "shake-up" is the new Doclings and I'm still not certain how that's going to play out (considering they're STILL not in the opening credits sequence!)

But, Season 1 had Vogler, Season 2 had Forman as Boss, Season 3 had the (Shi)Tritter arc, Season 4 seemed to be the new Doclings, and now in Season 4 we had Wilson and House's "break-up."

And it played out nicely with Wilson "breaking-up" more to protect himself from getting hurt again than anything to do with House and his personality or anything like that. Played out nicely and this episode was a great way to bring them back together, House's figuring it out, and pushing Wilson until he snapped and came to the realization House is his friend.

Nicely played.

And, I'm partly convinced House's eulogy was sincere. House has a way of taking his sincerity and playing it off, or putting a twist on it to suit his needs.

18. Neroon

Part of the brilliance of the character of House is that you're never quite sure if you're seeing the "real him", or is it a game he's playing on you the viewer?

19. Trekker4747

Yeah, wonderful isn't it?

:)

20. Neroon

I wouldn't have it any other way!!!