Aliens disability

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Cardassian3279, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's nice of you to make peace with people who (IMO) attacked you pretty promptly; defending someone who never asked or needed to be defended.

Even apart from that, you said you were bothered by Cardassian3279 saying he had a disability. Then they were all bothered by you saying that.

We're all more alike than we are different. Peace! :)

2. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, given how badly TNG handled it in "Samaritan Snare," I'm thankful we didn't get too much focus on that. :-/

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, "Samaritan Snare" was a bit of an embarrassment, wasn't it?

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I never thought so. I thought it was funny.

5. Nerys Ghemor

Indeed. Almost "Code of Honor" bad.

6. Tora Ziyal

7. Cardassian3279

Cardassian3279 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you for explain to jayrath, I understand you have a difficult for me being a disability, Don't worry jayrath. Im interested what your comment about Alien who have a difficult disability or deaf and sign language, very interested.

I have one who sign language on The Next generation i can't remember which espiode, I feel it is on season 2 definitely.

Also what about Voyager that neelix communicate with one alien is like sign language impression, Can you remember that?

I remember that one.

Thank,
    Martyn

8. Tora Ziyal

Isn't that "Loud as a Whisper," that someone mentioned upthread? Deaf negotiator who normally uses a telepathic "chorus" to speak for him, but also can sign?

9. Nerys Ghemor

10. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Until now, I haven't been able to bear checking back into this thread since the flare-up. I humbly apologize. I was only trying to help. I see now that that was foolish. I wish that you would not all judge me. I certainly do not judge any of you. I took all the remarks very much to heart, and I appreciate the education you have given me. I could hardly sleep at all the next night. I've thought of cancelling my account altogether and leaving this board after many years.

11. Tora Ziyal

Speaking only for myself... Apology accepted. Humility on the internet is quite refreshing. Don't go. :)

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I still don't know why you're the one who has to apologise. Did no one actually read what you wrote? "...In the era of Star Trek..." You never said anything about it not being a disability in the times we live in.

I think the anti-PC police are more quick to act than the PC police sometimes. :)

13. Cardassian3279

Cardassian3279 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ooop, thank tora ziyal, i didnt read i was ignore ooops, apologise guys thanks for correct me

Cheerio.
    Martyn

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm not sure sign language is seen as a "recognized" form o communication. Picard referred to what Reva was doing, unsure-idly, as "some kind of gestural language" that Data had to learn (suggesting he didn't already know one. Worf remarks that such a thing would be handy in combat suggesting that even Starfleet doesn't train their offers in a "gestural language" that we train present-day SWAT officers with.

It would seem, to me, that in the 24c that the causes of deafness can be corrected, prevented or repaired and that "being deaf" is no longer even really "a thing." In the episode Pulaski even says that the ways she would fix it wouldn't work on Reva (his race didn't even have the part of the brain that allowed to process sound.)

In the cases where deafness can't be repaired or prevented I'd assume there'd be a prosthetic device they could use sort of like today's cochlear implants only much more advanced.

15. free2131

free2131 Ensign Red Shirt

I always thought that the point of that episode was to not underestimate the people (or in Trek's case, the race) you view as beneath you. I have a feeling that the Pakleds weren't mentally challenged at all, but merely had some kind of issues verbally (which might even could be blamed on the universal translator).

That being said, I do agree that it is a bad episode. Sending your chief engineer over to an unknown alien ship? Why didn't they listen to Worf? :p

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Geordi's blindness was the result of a birth defect, so maybe not.

:)

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

But Pulaski seemed convinced that giving LaForge his eyesight would be a fairly trivial matter.

One wonders what the doctors who originally treated young Geordi were thinking. Was it "surgery is hard on babies, so let's give him this external prosthetic piece, even if it's painful to wear at later age"? Or was it "being blind sucks, so let's give him this cool thing that makes him see more than the average person - it'll be like giving a cripple a pair of legs that makes him five inches taller than the average!"?

Or did the technology to negate the birth defect only evolve later on?

Timo Saloniemi

18. Tora Ziyal

^My impression is that the technology evolved later on, but I have to admit, I don't remember whether it was actually stated in some episode, or whether I'm just making an assumption.

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the voyager episode was Macrocosm, IIRC, the Tak-Tak used complex gestures and body language along with verbal communication, Janeway got into trouble for putting her hands on her hips.

20. free2131

free2131 Ensign Red Shirt

I seem to remember an episode where he talks about being trapped in a fire as a child and being unable to see. I think it's the same episode where his mother disappears.