which of the rumored directors do you want to direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Aug 21, 2013.

?

which rumored director do you want to direct?

1. Rupert wyatt

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Joe Cornish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Jon M. Chu

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. Abrams

28 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

ok so here is the list of directors who so far have been rumored to direct. I personally would want wyatt after the amazing job he did on rise of planet of the apes but please vote on which one you would want to see direct

2. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Boom! :) Abrams it is! :bolian:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

JJ

He should write the script as well.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

5. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Yes,

he wrote the pilot and some of the episodes of Lost, Alias and Fringe.

At least Sydney Bristow's underwear scenes never looked kind of awkward or forced in Alias. I cant say the same for Carol.

JJ also wrote Cloverfield. JJ is a very good writer.

I just cant believe how hateful some people are to this man...it make me sad.:confused:

6. Chicago 103

Chicago 103 Captain Captain

I enjoy J.J. Abrams as a storyteller. "Lost" is my favorite television show. "Mission Impossible 3" is my favorite movie in that series. "Super 8" and "Cloverfield" were a lot of fun, both in my top ten list of movies during the years of their release.

I just think general audiences are getting sick of the "Mystery Box." Unless the reveal is something mind-blowing, the reaction is indifference or hatred. What is the island? What is the rabbit's foot? What was the military hiding? What is the creature? Who is the villain? Either we haven't been given a direct answer, or the answer is nothing worthy of the mystery.

The good thing about Abrams is that his stories are not about the mystery. They are good character stories. The mystery is just the source of conflict that brings about change in the character. In my opinion the exact details don't matter as much as the choices and changes the characters make. But some people do care a great deal about an original, imaginative, and detailed reveal for a mystery. It's become fashionable to use "Lost" as the example of disappointing serialized television. The reaction to "Star Trek Into Darkness" (my third favorite Trek movie, favorite movie of this year so far) has me dumbfounded, culminating in the panel at Star Trek Vegas which I was present for.

Personally, I would like Abrams to direct, but it might be best for the franchise if someone else took over to get past the issues people have with the way Abrams tells a story. Before "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" was released, I thought it looked like a stupid waste of time. It turned out to be one of the best movies of the year. That's why I picked Rupert Wyatt.

7. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

Ideally I'd want Abrams back. I did like Wyatt's work on Rise of the Planet of the Apes though. He'd be a good replacement for Abrams.

8. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am shocked at the way this poll is going although I loved the 2009 movie and its sequel you would think after being voted worst trek movie and with all the abrams haters saying how bad into darkness is the poll would be different.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You keep injecting this sort of unexplained swipe into discussions. Who's being hateful, and what has it to do with anything said in this thread?

10. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

All of these are solid choices, except maybe Chu, since GI Joe 2 sucked. That could be due to the script though, and not his directorial skills. How awesome would it be if Brad Bird directed it :)

11. CorporalClegg

Of those three, the only one he wrote completely on his own was Alias, and that was 12 years ago. The others he shared credits with Orci, Kurtzman, Lindelof, and co. just like he did with the Star Trek movies.

He figured out long ago that his strengths lie in directing and started delegating.

The only film he's written on his own in the last 15 years is Super 8, and that was a personal, pet-project of his.

What does that have to do with anything?

I might point out though, that the appearance of both is ultimately up to the director. So I don't even know what the point you're trying to make is.

I thought Drew Goddard wrote Cloverfield?

What at all is hateful about the word "no"? I don't hate the guy and think he's an excellent director. Please don't make assumptions. I just think the writing is best left to others. If anything, it's merely practical. The guy is going to be really busy the next five years as it is. He doesn't have time to write a full film script. And even if he did, it's bound to suffer in quality due to lack of focus.

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Matt Reeves directed Cloverfield. JJ was a producer but I don't know how much he actually contributed to the movie.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Abrams.

Two-thirds of the race is over, he might as well carry us across the finish line.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Either JJ Abrams (as highly unlikely as it is) or Wyatt (I loved RotPotA... it makes an awesome acronym, too!)
    That was a poll of one hundred fans from 15,000+ convention goers. Shampoo commericals have bigger sample groups.

15. CorporalClegg

Not only that, he created such a distinct visual style with the first two films that with anyone else it might seem like a different world.

And I don't just mean lens flares (Though say what you will, they have sort of become their own character.), the color palette, the camera angles, the distinct aliens, and other little touches he's used have really made nuTrek its own universe.

That's not to say others aren't capable, but unless another director tries to emulate Abrams's style (in which case it's not his own film) there will be a difference, and that could be distracting for some.

The only other modern examples with such distinct visual styles I can think of are LotR and TDK; imagine what the respective third films been like had Jackson/Nolan left after the second.

I think it's in Paramount's best interest to accommodate Abrams as fiscally and patiently as is necessary.

16. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^ QFT :)

17. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Not sure of Nolan, I personally find him overrated and Peter Jackson had a few step backs with the hobbit. however these two guys would be far better than anyone on this list, should JJ choose not to direct trek 3.

18. CorporalClegg

What's with the non sequitur?

19. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

LotR and TDK need the very similar looks as they're more directly parts of a 3-part story. New Treks are more like the Iron Mans, they are more loosely related to each other, and could probably manage to change the look a bit more between movies just like Iron Man 3 did.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  20. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

If its released in Nov/Dec 2016 then they need to film in July 2015 which would be too soon for JJ because he would be in the middle of worldwide promotions for SW Ep 7 and if its summer 2016 it needs to be filmed in Jan 2015 and JJ would be in post-production of SW Ep 7.

JJ is not going to direct the next Trek, but he can help with post production etc assuming he doesn't do SW Ep 8 regardless of Summer/Winter release date.

I think Kenneth Branagh will be in contention if he wants to do it because he has directed Thor and now Jack Ryan, both for Paramount and one with Chris Pine as the lead.

EDIT: Forget Branagh, hes doing a Cinderella movie in 2015!