Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Beyerstein, Aug 14, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well in the first two seasons they were going through regularly and meeting aliens of the week over there. Bajor even had colonies on the other side. When you encounter a huge planetary empire that shoots on sight, that does hinder exploration a bit.

2. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

too little exploration of the Gamma Quadrant? Up until they were threatened by the dominion pretty much all they did was explore the Gamma Quadrant, and after that well would you keep exploring if a super powerful race said they would kill you if you went back into the Gamma Quadrant. Personally I think they went there TOO MUCH considering the threat of the Dominion

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I like to think that the Federation's encounter with the Dominion was an example of what happens when a first contact goes horribly wrong or when you boldly go where you're not wanted.

4. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

I'm due for a rewatch, but as I recall, the exploration of the Gamma Quadrant and it's alien species were very few and far between even in the first few seasons with much of the GC alien of the weeks being occassional visitors to the station or a lost human colony here and there. The only exceptions I can think of are the time Miles & Julian were destroying some weapon for an alien civilization, and the time they found themselves on a Dominion held humanoid planet with Julian trying to cure a disease.

There were a very few non-Dominion plot lines in the Gamma Quadrant, but I'd never characterize it as alien of the week or anything close. How many QC species did our heroes meet?

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Including some Dominion races, about 20.

6. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could go for a series about Young Picard as Captain of the Stargazer, in the Abramsverse. Maybe start him out as a junior officer, and each season is about how he progresses closer to the Big Chair, similar to how the Horatio Hornblower miniseries was.

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I would like to see the Picard maneuver in HD but not in the Abramsverse. Picard would be a 20-something year old Captain.

8. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

What a daft excuse.

The writers could have written in exploration adventures, and allowed the protagonists to resort to logic, problem solving, team work and reasoning to save the day - but I guess DS9 was a flawed concept considering it was some uninspiring space station doing sod-all in deep space. TPTB decided to create smoke and mirrors that was the dominion war and throwing in a millenium falcon rip off to appease the dominant 14 year old male demographic.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:guffaw:

You guys kill me. He was a "twenty-something" when he took command of the Stargazer.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Well, late 20's. He joined the Stargazer crew at 28 to be exact but I was referring (badly) to the switch to the Enterprise D. I'm sure he'll still be in his 20's.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Big difference in putting a 3rd year cadet and someone who had at least five or six years of experience into the captain's chair.

12. BillJ

The post you responded to mentions a young Picard in command of the Stargazer. That, a Kirk and Spock show or an animated series are about the only ideas I care about for bringing Trek back to TV.

13. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

14. BillJ

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. Ginning up a controversy by suggesting that all us fans are in a tizzy makes a better story than admitting that there's actually a wide range of opinions on the subject.

Do I need to tell my New York Post story again? Very well . . .

A few months back, when the new movie opened, I was contacted by a reporter from the New York Post who was doing on a story on how all us old-school supposedly hated the reboot. I spent over thirty minutes on the phone explaining to him that this was hardly the case, but he didn't want to hear it; he told me upfront that his editor had already pretty much dictated the slant of the article.

When I refused to play along and give him the quote he wanted, he asked me to point him toward another Trek author who would be willing to speak out against the reboot. Again, I declined to cooperate.

Sure enough, when the article saw print a few days later, the gist of it was that (surprise!) old-school Trekkies don't like the reboot! And the only quote they used from me was the part where I grudgingly conceded that some fans had issues with nuTrek . . . .

So, yeah, take this sort of media coverage of the "backlash" with a huge grain of salt.

16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Yeh but Picard in the Prime Universe is no Horatio Hornblower. He's the consumate diplomat and ruthless defender of the Prime Directive.
    To be Hornblower or have a similar rise to captain I think he would need to be affected by the Prime Universe - a slightly different captain to the man we all know and love IMO.
    If that were the case somehow seeing a young badass Picard withh Jack and Beverley Crusher (before kid) appeals to me.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The key part is "twenty something" not the comparative experience of Kirk and Picard at the same age.

18. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is so "GRRRR! Get OFF my lawn!" :)

Not to single you out or beat you up on this, but I never understood people who reject other incarnations of Trek, and only accept Kirk and crew from TOS as the one, true, only Trek, complaining that the following crews weren't the original characters but were pale imitations of them, but immediately glommed onto the Abrams reboot. Sure, it may be Kirk, Spock, Uhura, et al, but their characters are quite different than the original portrayals in TOS. The way they are portrayed, it might as well be a different crew altogether, really.

As to Trek returning to the small screen, you do realize that if Trek ever did return to TV in a live action format, and you want to limit it to Kirk and Crew, it would require yet another reboot, don't you?

And the likelihood of an animated or CGI Trek on the small screen is about as likely to happen as raining cats! Except for maybe the reboot movies, kids of today have zero exposure to Star Trek, and to them those 2 movies are just another summer blockbuster movie. They wouldn't care about a Trek cartoon.

I would be down with Picard in the prime universe too!

What I was referring to was the format and pace at which each season, and Picard's career, would take place VS the Hornblower miniseries, with reference to Picard's rise to the captaincy. Another example of pacing of Picard's career could be how the Tutors did it, where each season depicted a different stage (and marriage) of Henry VIII's life. Does that make sense now?

I was not necessarily comparing Picard to Hornblower, per se, because that is who Kirk is actually analogous to. However, I always thought of TNG era Picard as what Kirk would have been more like, had there been a Star Trek Phase 2, and I also think Picard was more Kirk-like, in his younger days.

I don't know about anyone else here, but since the episode Tapestry, I always thought it might be interesting to see Picard as a younger man, and as a junior officer, and to see how he rose to the rank of captain.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  19. oddsigve

oddsigve Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I could be wrong, but I don't think that would be a Qapla'. It would not be the same with a Picard not played by Stewart and I think the reason why you want a show like that is because you miss Patrick.

I for one are a bit tired of all these shows that goes back in time to enable the usage of younger "edgier" cast. I want the good old stuff back with mature and reasonable characters. :)

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another article that cites the 100 fan poll in Las Vegas (from 15,000+ attendees) as authoritative proof of ID's failure? Knowing now what utter tripe gets made into fact, I'll never trust the news again.