Grimm (NBC) Season 1 Discussion *Spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

The pilot thread is here; http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=149387

No point in doing one for each episode at this point. ;)

Grimm Season 1 Episode 2 “Bears Will Be Bears” Description Tonight 9PM on NBC!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=I3OY-Rn2mIQ[/yt]

Promo

I enjoyed the pilot and will be looking forward to tonight. :bolian:

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I liked the pilot. Especially the introduction of the Wolf Side Kick guy. I think this could be a very fun show. I'm in, for now.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The previews make me hope this show will add more personality and humor. That would offset the deadening effect of the MOTW approach.

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Ugh. My TV isn't working so I am missing it right now. :( Will catch up online later or sometime Saturday. :sigh:

5. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

I am definitely liking this show. It was pretty cool to see Voodoo Donuts get a shout out. That place rocks!

6. js

js Captain Captain

I don't think the second ep was as good as the first (Currie Graham, a terrific actor who does menace really well, was really wasted in that minor role), but I'm really just watching the show for Sasha Roiz, so I'm sticking with it as of now.

I do think the Blutbad (or however it's spelled) is the best character and clearly the writers like writing for the guy so I expect he'll stick around. Along with kickass Aunt Marie who I expect we'll see again in flashbacks or dreams since she's far more interesting (sadly) than the lead guy. He's really bland.

Anyone else think the fiancee is up to something? They keep doing these weird extra-long shots of her pondering as if she knows more than she says. Don't like her.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'm going to have a hard time finding the time to watch this, but I did like the pilot. We could use a good monster-of-the-week show, although this one will probably end up becoming arc-based just like Supernatural and just about everything else.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, only watched the first half of last night's episode, but it was even more generic and predictable than the first-- with a mystery that wasn't even remotely mysterious!

The family with all the weird tribal artifacts that we meet in the first 5 minutes? Yup, they're the family of bears from the fairy tale. And they kidnapped the boyfriend. End of mystery.

Seriously, that's it?!? It's like these writers aren't even trying. :wtf:

9. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed this weeks episode it kinda reminded me of the three bears story......

give it time the show will get better.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm. So far, this show really isn't adding up to much. Silas Michael Weir is the only reason to keep watching, he's a hoot (well, that went too far!) :rommie: Also, they showed admirable restraint not naming the girlfriend Goldie Locke. :p

The idea that Mama Bear is encouraging her cub to commit homicide just to maintain some traditions that the family can apparently survive just fine without, is too weak of a premise for a good episode. They need to ratchet up the what's-at-stake here and really start to flesh out why the fairytale characters hang onto habits that place them at odds with society and potentially get them killed. So far, Weir's pilates-and-veganism lifestyle is the only sensible one.

Ratings: down 14%, which is a modest drop for a second episode, especially for an sf/f genre show. But the stories need to become more compelling if they're going to keep the ratings from falling into the danger zone.

11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

14% drop isn't too bad given all the factors involved.

Just finished the 2nd ep...it was pretty good...they do need to pick up the pace a bit now that the aunt is gone. Silas Weir Mitchell is funny and it ads a good dynamic as his unofficial partner.

12. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The hero not strictly speaking being a human being is what throws me off. You think he'd have noticed!:wtf: On a deep level I can't suspend disbelief to accept the lead because he's not appropriate to the premise. Can't watch this, stuck with Fringe, which is taking not very good to new levels of mediocrity. Thank God there's Sanctuary on the next hour, with people who'll do anything to try to entertain me.

13. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've gone on record stating that I'm not inherently opposed to episodic tv--some of my favorite shows have been based purely on that format however over the last decade it has become abundantly clear that the current crop of writers in television really can't be as creative in coming up with fresh unpredictable episodic stories.

They inevitably fall back on old chestnuts that almost everyone in the audience has seen if not once multiple times and to better effect before. That's one of the main reasons I simply don't care for cop/legal/hospital dramas--there isn't anything new to offer up. Same holds true for sff shows like Fringe, Grimm, Haven, Enterprise or Supernatural when they do standalones--they are predictable, formulaic mediocre drivel nine times out of ten recycling something done better before.

So while I'm not opposed to episodic storytelling it has been my experience that writers in recent years tend to be more creative and think outside of the box when adopting arc based storytelling and when every episode focuses on the arc threads(i.e. The Vampire Diaries, Ringer, Revenge, Once Upon a Time, The Secret Circle--not coincidentally the best shows on tv right now)and not just every so often or just in the periphery like Fringe or Supernatural did--two shows I had watched at one time but dropped due to a total lack of disinterest in the material and its execution.

14. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

Not a bad show so far. And its nice to see the PTB's were able to get at least one of the Brandon Routh clones out before the factory burnt to the ground. :evil:

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

What makes you think Grimm isn't human??

So, the aunt dies and Grimm drives off with the trailer. Where did he take it? We only saw him pull out with it.

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

In week two Monroe the reformed Big Bad Wolf is still the best part of the show. I think the show would be better if Monroe was Nick's partner on the police force. He adds some much needed humor and life to the show. Then they could skip the "I need to hide my true identity from my partner bit" which is way past tiresome by now. It's old guys lay off it for awhile...ok? (Hopefully Nick let's his partner in on it in the near future.) Right now the partner is kind of just a lump. Well, aren't most the character so far? They need more fleshing out. More life as they're too stiff.

The guy playing Nick was less stiff this week than in the pilot. I think he'll improve as the series continues.

Aunt Marie was good...too bad she kicked the bucket...but at least she kicked ass doing so.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I agree. Writing a self-contained and consistent story is apparently out of fashion now, both with the current crop of writers and the current audience. The problem isn't that arc-based storytelling is bad-- I like a lot of those shows you mentioned-- it's just that it can be, and often is, just as lazy as cliched episodic writing. The writers will throw razzle-dazzle at people to get them talking around the water cooler, but ultimately they're not up to creating a worthwhile payoff. Lost is the ultimate example of that; great show with a disastrous ending. I'd like to see a show with a good cast of interesting and likeable characters that are involved in good stories every week (or whenever). Sherlock Holmes did it, The Shadow did it, Star Trek did it, Monk did it; no reason it can't be done now.

18. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Witches have familiars, wizards have demons, magic spells have their own power. Humans don't have magic powers. Nick has a magic power, ergo Nick is not exactly human. Yet he hasn't quite noticed (at least not while I was watching.) It would be the first thing on my mind if I discovered my self image was so incomplete and misleading. This obliviousness is why Nick seems so dull to most people maybe. Heroes shouldn't be oblivious to the obvious, stupidity is not attractive, and this show is not about Nick's self-discovery as he grows up. Certainly the cluelessness is why I personally can't invest in Nick.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Where was any of that established in the 2 episodes shown????
    He's human until something on the show says he's not.

20. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

So far I am enjoying the show. I will be sticking with it for now.