WOLVERINE director search down to 8

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 26, 2011.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Looks like it could be for a licensing expo or one of the many posters being considered.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I been reading about Wolverine since GS X-Men#1, can't say I've heard the character called "The Wolverine." Sounds weird.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

He hangs out with The Batman hitting on coeds at The Ohio State. ;)

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Frank Miller is writing the sequel, called The Goddamn Wolverine.

5. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Last night I read the Claremont/Miller Wolverine limited series from 82. That is the basis for The Wolverine, correct? I enjoyed the book very much but I was left with a big question mark hanging. Isn't it kind of puny for a big budget movie? I mean it's a good story and a compelling character piece but nothing EPIC happens in the bloody thing. There are no major special effects sequences and the villains are all ninjas. As a story it's heads and tails over X-Men Origins: Wolverine but also more of an art house thing. Does that mean they're going dumb it down, add huge VFX sequences to make it more of a blockbuster summer flick? It would be a shame. It's a really good book, just the way it is.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, it is indeed based on that, remember too, this was originally an Aronofsky project, so it is likely he was attracted to that low key, character driven story. It still features plenty of action and drama as well, especially pertaining to Logan. Christopher McQuarrie's script was based very heavily on this arc, yes, and very much praised...since though I think Mangold has said that during subsequent redrafts about 80 percent of the original script is still intact. That script and story though is what originally attracted everyone to this project.

7. Admiral James Kirk

Oh, well that makes sense then. I haven't really been following the project that closely. Sounds promising.

8. Admiral_Young

Hugh Jackman was apparently extremely impressed when he first read that script and has been very excited about the project ever since, even after Darren left and all the delays.

9. Admiral James Kirk

I was doing a little extra reading on this film and Jackman was saying a character named Silver Samarai is going to be the villain. Does that mean Lord Shingen is out?

10. Admiral_Young

Silver Samurai has been confirmed as the villain of the film, not sure about Lord Shingen has been left out in the rewrites or not. I admittedly have not been following the project as closely as I once was, mostly due to a lack of recent information.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Isn't the Silver Samuri Shingen's son? I know that he and Mariko are brother and sister and that Mariko is Shingen's daughter, but can't remember if Harada was Shingen's son or if they had different fathers.

12. Admiral James Kirk

According to Wikipedia the Silver Samurai is Shingen's illegitimate son and Mariko's half-brother.

13. Admiral_Young

Okay now that was brought up and my memory is refreshed, yes Shingen and Mariko are part of the story for the film.

14. Admiral James Kirk

If Silver Samurai is the main villain then where does Shingen come in?

15. Admiral_Young

We don't know that part yet.

16. Admiral James Kirk

I'm impressed they've kept the details locked down this tight. The script to X3 leaked a year before it was released. Hell, the entire Wolverine movie got out a month before it's release. I guess 20th has learned a thing or two about security in the last few years. ;)

17. Admiral_Young

Chris McQuarrie's script has been locked down since it was completed, and despite it's constant praise from those who have read it, not many details have actually been leaked from it.

18. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Let's just hope it will be "R" rated and really, really dark.

Although I really loved ORIGINS (go ahead, throw your stones at me), I missed blood in it (unlike the tie-in game which was released along the film... that was awesome).

I hope Wolvie won't go too much mainstream and will stand out as a special comic-book based film.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Come on. Of course it won't be.

20. Admiral_Young

"The Wolverine" won't be rated R. It'll be PG-13 as for it being "really, really, dark" we'll see. The story it is based on has dark elements to it and is very mature, Aronofsky acknowledged the characters dark nature when he was still attached to the project, so I'm expecting this film to be much darker in tone than "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" or even the main "X-Men" films were. I doubt Mangold will want to change things that much. As mentioned a couple of times a rewrite of Chris McQuarrie's script was done by Mark Bombeck, which Mangold stated would be "80 percent intact" and that script has been overwhelmingly praised by everyone who read it. Haven't read any reports about the re-write yet, I doubt we will.