La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, for the most part, the orchestra sounds pretty damned rich for the size. Compared to other shows, such as The Man from UNCLE which sounded like the 9 guys it was, Star Trek was damned near movie score quality. Some of the earlier CD releases sounded very "pinched" and shrill. The new set improves on them dramatically.

2. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

If you're unsure about the quality of the sound, there are numerous samples on the info page. We were dealing with the original first-generation tapes,so this sounds better than anything that has come before.

Neil

3. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

I don't think Plynch was expressing concern about the audio quality. I think he was talking mostly about the performance, with a small studio force vs the bigger recordings made later, the Bremner and Steiner recordings.

– But having written that, it seems a bit silly. Sure you might prefer the versions that have been out there to the boxed set version, for scores that have been released. But the boxed set has many scores, that you will otherwise NEVER HEAR. At all. I don't get how a concern about performance quality can be relevant. So what? There's likely never going to be an alternative recording.

4. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As an owner - this is fabulous. Just an amazing restoration. There are copies, this is the original. A must-get.

5. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Note the phrase, "one thing." I have been a booster of the project here; I think I played a part in getting the youtube "videos" of the scores noticed and then taken down, and have taken people to task who talk about ripping these off in some download-kind of thing.

SO:
    If money were no object, I'd own them. (And note I have argued here that these are reasonably priced for the work and licensing that went into them!) It would be SUPER nice to hear them. But as a I said, I doubt I'd return to them. I have shelves of CDs I never listen to. Three more kids to help through college. And some specific things I want money for, that if I spend on CDs I don't have money for. So,"one thing" playing a part in my resource allocation decision is their being played by a studio orchestra. Am I "missing out"? Sure. But I miss out on things every day. So it goes. I also enjoy many aspects of living everyday.

Let me end once more with personal applause and thanks to all those that conceived and executed this great project. It is just not how I am allocating my somewhat limited resources. Though who knows what the future holds? Be well, all!

6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Agreed. And having had and listened to this set since it's release, I can confirm it is well worth it and one of, if not my absolute favorite releases.

7. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the best purchases I have ever made. It's a collection I will listen to until I die (which hopefully will be a long, long time away); it's fantastic!

8. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

For one week only, this set is 25% off (along with the rest of La-La Land's releases). This is the lowest price ever for this set.

"LA-LA LAND RECORDS BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION SALE! Join us celebrating our birthday with 25% off your ENTIRE ORDER!. A perfect opportunity to catch up on great titles at a great price! ONE WEEK ONLY! SALE RUNS UNTIL 11:59PM (PST) 11/3. Simply place your order at and 25% will be automatically deducted from your total purchase at checkout."

Neil

9. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. That is not insignificant. I'll tell my nerd friends that don't have this yet.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If we already bought it can we get a refund? :p

11. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here. Life has a way of interfering with fun. :scream:

12. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Of course, I just bought a couple of soundtracks from them last week.

13. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe I was wrong. Listening to old soundtracks, re-recordings on Spotify: this music is so associated with good feelings. Maybe I would relisten to the CDs if I git em. I keep smiling hearing familiar cues. I so rarely listen to the cds I own though.

Update: man, that last Charlie X part is sad. Even the sailing-off music is downbeat compared to most.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  14. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Come onnnnnnn. You know you want 'em. :P

15. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have the soundtrack and listen to it almost everyday. It's got that classic cartoon production music sound to it. Best Christmas present ever.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. I bought it the day it came out, and after two years, I've lost count of how many times I've listened to it. I've only listened to it in order twice. The rest of the time I've just played whatever disk I felt like.

17. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's your favorite Episode score? Mine is a cross between "The Enemy Within" and "Metamorphosis."

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

My favorite is Mullendore's "The Conscience of the King."

19. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An excellent and underrated choice.

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Metamorphosis also, and Return to Tommorrow, both found on the same disk. I also like Trouble with Tribbles. And The Empath and Is there in Truth No Beauty?, also found on the same disk.