Blake's 7 reboot back on again

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Jul 23, 2012.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

And I said nothing about Sy-Fy attempting to make the show for the older fans, I just said what demographic American shows are made for.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Part of me thinks it might be interesting to see B7 back on the screens, while another part wonders hoe an American TV station would handle a British Sci-Fi series.

It's not like they've had massive success in adapting British Sci-Fi shows in years past.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

SyFy will definitely make this show to the 18-49/25-54 audience, not for the under 18 crowd. Beyond that, SyFy needs to answer the question, why should a SyFy viewer who sees a B7 ad want to watch the show? They probably havent seen the original. They may have never heard of the original.

Presumably SyFy knows why its viewers like Alphas and W13. Whatever they like about those shows would draw them to a new show.

There's no reason to believe "people who remember the show" is part of the target. What proportion of the SyFy audience has ever seen the show?

Thats exactly the audience that they will advertise to, because those are the shows they have now! Okay if Defiance takes off, they could advertise there as well. But if appealing to the Alphas viewer means dumbing the show down,then its going to be dumbed down.

Alternatively, they could use B7 to draw back in the disgruntled BSG fans. But if they are disgruntled, how do you advertise to them within the budget? Theyre not watching SyFy anymore. Too expensive to reach them. And its not like they were a huge audience to begin with.

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

There's going to be plenty of people who'll remember the oriiginal series among the viewers of the new show, just as it was with Battlestar Galactica. But nobody's suggesting it be made just for the fans of the original series.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

B7 will be made for fans of the original series to precisely the same degree as Ron Moore made BSG for fans of that series. ;) And the reaction will be much the same, in fact, on other boards, I've seen it already has begun, with people declaring that they show "must" be this way or that way.

At this point, all we know fore sure is that Yminale will hate it. I'm willing to bet money on that.

6. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Alphas audience would seem to be much the same as the Blake's audience to me :vulcan:. It is not like they have to get close to state of the art FX like the Battlestar crew had to.

7. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't hate something that doesn't exist. :techman:

There is just no argument to make a Blake 7 remake outside of using the brand name to attract viewers, some of whom maybe geeky enough to remember what Blake 7 was all about.

I loved Firefly and that's what a modern Blake 7 would be like minus the witty dialogue and interesting characters.

8. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alpha audience probably doesn't know what Blake 7 is. Maybe some of them know that it's an obscure British TV show. The whole Blake 7 name is just a marketing gimmick just like nuBSG.

It's like Dark Shadows. I tried to explain to my sister that the original was not a comedy and then I explained some of the plot element about vampires, ghosts and werewolves. She then said "You sure it isn't a comedy":rofl:

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

But you'd have to hope that the people making the new one would realise that the main strength of the original show was the interesting characters and witty dialogue.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for this because I think it'll either be too dark, or too light and fluffy, but I will give it a chance, and who knows low expectations might mean I love it :lol: