Lookalike?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bry_Sinclair, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Was Carol Marcus' appearance purposefully made to be identical to Elizabeth Dehner, so that the fans might guess that the bad guy was going to be Gary Mitchell?

That's who I thought she was for ages before I was revealed who she actually was.

Would it have made for a more original plot if he had been Mitchell?

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Blonde hair worn in a similar cut (though parted on the opposite side) constitutes "appearance purposefully made to be identical to Elizabeth Dehner"? Besides that, the fact that both wore a blue uniform, and that neither were male, Eve's Marcus and Kellerman's Dehner really don't look that much alike.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Next time they can really troll us and cast Sam Mathis as Dehner.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

The "Gary Mitchell" thing was nothing but stupid fan notion that Urban accidentally lit a fuse to when he made what was an obvious joke about it during an interview; absolutely nothing that leaked about the movie pointed to it. No one involved with the production at any point said "Let's make a few obsessive trekkies think it's Mitchell - quick, do Alice Eve's hair up like a character from a fifty year-old TV episode, that's more important than any other factor in her appearance as Marcus."

Khan was confirmed as the movie's villain in December, 2011.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I think the choice of haircut may have been deliberate. The first two-part IDW "Ongoing" comic, which featured Gary Mitchell, promised "easter eggs and red herrings" and there was a even reference to Dehner and McCoy having been lovers in the past of this timeline. So I was actually expecting we'd see Dehner in the movie, to give a little tension to McCoy's scenes. Suddenly, up popped Alice Eve in the Dehner hairstyle for the movie's pre-publicity!

It may have been as innocent as the movie's hairstylist going back through old episodes for inspiration on Carol's "look". They did a variation on the large, pointy bun in the last film (on an extra in a red dress that people wondered was supposed to be Janice Rand - and then the comics reused that style when they put Rand into their cast of new characters).

6. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds About Right.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well, I'm not sure it was intentional, because you'd have to ask them, but looking at a picture of the second pilot the other day I realised how similar their haircuts were. Coincidence ? Maybe, but the people in charge of those movies seem to know their Trek very, very well, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were intentional.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They look as alike as Quinto-Spock looks like Nimoy-Spock.

9. Kolinahr

Kolinahr Lieutenant Red Shirt

Which is to say, 'Not much.' I had no idea the haircuts were the same though. Probably a stylist looking for inspiration ;)

10. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

Yes.

And even (at least where I live), had Sally Kellerman live appearances to promote / celebrate the release!

Wanted to post a picture of the ad, but guess I am not allowed to-to show I'm not making this up-bummer; guess you'll have to trust me on this.

11. Therin of Andor

You can quote the URL of an online pic right here, or copy it and upload it to your own photo repository, such as Flickr, which is free.

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It was just my inital thought based on the first photos released of the character, so I started thinking how the whole god-like powers thing might have worked on screen.

Well it would seem that a single disturption in the timeline warps reality, creating super-ships, hyper-warp, blinged-out Klingons, and radically different facial features. Kinda odd if you ask me :)

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Same thing must have happened between TWOK and TSFS.

14. Therin of Andor

Radically different? Wasn't that the accusation leveled at TMP's Klingons? And then ST III's? And then ST V's? And then TNG's? And then Colonel Worf's inverted crest and General Chang's baldness?

15. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

?

Nimoy was cute as Spock but Zachary is just stunning.