International box office thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by USSPhilippi, May 12, 2013.

1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

400m would be disappointing, but 450m-500m would be decent enough especially since Trek 2009 had very strong blu ray sales.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The domestic/foreign split should be a lot closer for this film than for any previous Trek film. It'll probably make more domestic than foreign, but there's a chance it could be the first Trek film where the reverse happens.

450m would be fine, especially considering the strength of the franchise domestically (domestic box office being more valuable to the studio given the bigger cut they get from it as compared to foreign box office). $500m is likely the level where they're really happy, as opposed to happy enough.

3. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I disagree. if and when that times comes that the studio wants to do a tv show again, I think they can easily find a way to marry the traditional Trek qualities and the explosive action of today's TV needs successfully. Plenty of tv shows now do it... why not Trek? Heck, DS9 did it back in the 90s and it didn't even have a good/wide enough syndication...

My only demand as a fan would be to get rid of the Orci/Kurtzman duo and bring in someone like Joss Whedon. Can Joss Whedon and JJ partner on a Trek TV show? The very thought is giving me the goddamned shivers! :lol:

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The International box office increased.

I have a gut feeling Domestic box office will increase too. STXI was under the radar and many people caught it on video when it was released. These type of franchisee tend to grow with their second movies.

Also after Iron Man 3, people might be looking for another Sci-Fi action fix. :D

5. indranee

Hi Dream ;)

agreed re ST09 being an almost sleeper hit with the dvd/bluray market. I now have plenty of girlfriends/work colleagues who watched that on dvd and cable and want to watch this one in the theater.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Ah, it was released internationally - and hasn't reached USA yet. ;)

7. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I went opening day here in Melbourne, Australia; during a daytime screening, and there weren't many people in attendance. I am planning to go again maybe once or twice before it leaves theatres. I'll try a weekend session, and I bet there'll be more people at one of those.

300 million overseas does sound very optimistic. I'd love it if it came true, but I suspect 200 million international gross is a realistic figure for us to anticipate.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well Star Trek (2009) only did ~US$128m at the Non US & Canda box office. Of which the biggest takings were

UK US$35.4m
    Germany US$12.8m
    Australia US$12.7m

Part of the reason for it being released in some markets before the US is to try and increase that those takings. So a figure of US$200m is a more realastic figure for it's potential takings. Though I'm sure Paramount would be over the moon with US$300m

9. Therin of Andor

10. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think "word of mouth marketing" is very important to increase interest in the film.
    Maybe that's why Paramount has premieres on different days

11. Therin of Andor

Any film! And it's free!

12. indranee

Stop it Flakey, you're depressing me :weep:

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The latest tracking is reportedly for STiD to open domestically to $88 million for the three-day weekend and $112 million in its first four days.

14. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Not too shabby...

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You'll probably want to post that in the other thread.

Edit:

Never mind - as long as I was here anyway, I just copy/pasted it.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

17. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I think should beat $12.2 million that ST09 did back in 2009. Saw it twice to far. When I saw it on opening day, would have been less than a quarter full, but it was the first session of the day. And then on the weekend, when I was at the cinemas in Liverpool (a suburb of Sydney), saw it there again. As I was there all day, saw many people come through. Saw a free session, but at 7.30pm it was around 2/3 full.