Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Gamespy has a hands-on preview.

2. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. Subspace

Subspace Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks for the Info :biggrin:

4. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wellp, I've bashed the game enough, but there's one thing I'm pleasantly happy that they did: base three "archetypes" off the hero ships of the TNG era. And it makes sense, too! I've always thought of the E-D/Galaxy as something akin to an MMO tank, Defiant as a scrapper/fighter and Voyager/Intrepid as a buffer in the shows. Intrepid makes sense in this regard, considering how often Voyager got its ass kicked whenever it went solo :)

My only (teeny tiny) complaint: I think Akira should be in the Tank group along with the Galaxy and Sovereign. But having it as a scrapper with the Defiant and the Prometheus is okay in my book, too.

5. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

6. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Ground combat looks a lot like KOTOR, which isn't a terribly bad model at all.

Damn, I wish they'd finish the game already.

7. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Speaking for myself, I'd rather that they wait until it's done and fairly polished. :p

I'm hoping that I get into the Beta (as if I need yet another game client on my computer! :eek:), but given that I work for a game developer, I doubt I will. :/

8. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

That'll teach ya to not lie on beta apps :p

I'm expecting, when the time comes, for there also to be keys up on Fileplanet... aside from being fairly common now anyway, they did the same with Champions Online. If they do you'll need to be a paid subscriber to pick one up, but they're on a first come basis so they won't care who you are as long as you get there before they run out :p

9. Manticore

I'm too bloody honest. :p

Eh, it's not a big deal. I'm not really looking forward to the game; it sounds like it's going to suck (though space combat doesn't sound too sucky so far, surprisingly). I hardly need a new MMO (between LOTRO, WoW, and possibly DDO:Unlimited if my friends and I stick with it--and yes, I can afford all three; time is the real killer!), But...well...it's Star Trek. *shrug*

10. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

wait, another game developer on the board? so how many is that, 3? (for the record, i am one)

but that did remind me to check out DDO. thanks!

11. Manticore

Actually, I'm customer service, not a dev. And no, I'm not saying who for. :p

It's well worth checking out!

So...Star Trek, anyone? ;)

12. Arrqh

I have to say I'm getting really psyched from the gameplay footage people recorded at PAX. Not so much the ground stuff which still seems like it needs work (and no big deal, they have time) but the space combat looks pretty spot on. I almost subscribed to PotBS for their ship combat and this looks like its the same idea but more interesting since you have shields, power balance, etc.

Plus, you know... Star Trek :p

13. Manticore

I have to say, I lost all drive to make a space-based MMO* after seeing those gameplay vids. The bastards stole all of my ideas. :scream:

*Hey, it could happen! :p

14. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Grrrr I still want to be able to walk around my ship and use things like the holodeck for training and the likes. This would add a really nice touch to the game, helping to scale it and make you feel more part of the game universe.

15. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wait, the Luna class from the books will be available?
    Any chance on getting to fly a Vesta class too?

16. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

It's interesting how the Miranda class was able to defeat 3 BoP's.
    :D
    Then again ... it's an UPGRADED Miranda to begin with, and even the upgraded BoP's would likely retain certain inferiority over it.
    3 of them though should have been able to deal more damage on the Miranda most likely.

Any word if the Graphics will be additionally enhanced before the game is released?

Sadly with the fact that I'm in a low financial situation I won't be playing this anytime soon.
    It does look nice though and all ... but further progress is needed of course.

17. Arrqh

No point reading into that. Different people who played the demo at PAX had different ships but they all had the same stats and weapon loadouts. Obviously the demo was setup to be an "intro" to the game and look cool and was much less about actual stats... and balance continues well past the launch date of an MMO anyway.

Considering it's not shipping until next year that's pretty much a given. For instance, the devs had said that there will be ship damage but haven't shown it because it isn't implemented in game yet.

18. CaptJack

CaptJack Captain Captain

Having just watched some of the PAX videos, I'm getting pretty excited about this game. I do, however, have a few issues with the seeming ineffectiveness of evasive maneuvers (does every single shot have to hit home? This is a big annoyance of mine in EVE as well.) and, as other people do, with the partial 3-D space which doesn't allow rolling or AFAIK vertical maneuvering like in Star Trek II or the Homeworld games. Still, it looks great and I'm very much looking forward to getting to be a participant in this form of the Trek universe.

19. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It depends on the size of the target, they've said that both phasers and torpedoes can miss smaller ships. Officers can also obtain skills such as sensor jamming, if used against your vessel for example, it would stop you from automatically targeting an incoming ship, so you'll have to manually target enemy ships instead; this is quite a powerful tool for smaller ships.

Then you have certain ships like BoP's, who will work together as a group and focus on one shield, all the while cloaking and de-cloaking. Once they have a shield facing down, they will start hammering the open spot.

The whole area of space you fight in is also fully 3-D, a ship at the very top of the combat area would not even be able to pick up an enemy target at the bottom of it on their sensors. When ships engage in combat they try to remain roughly on the same plane (like in most of the TV series) but you are fully free to go where ever you want, if you feel like it.

20. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

At least the space battle mode isn't as complicated as I expected. I remember playing some Star Wars game and getting really confused with the controls, e.g., how to maneuver the ships, let alone fire at the enemy vessels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.