ST3 - Box Office?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

It's got to be August, it's nearer the actual anniversary and much less competition. Guardians of the Galaxy has just broken 300mil in the USA, the money is there to be made if the film is decent enough. I think it will get murdered in May, June and July slightly less so.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Being set during the 5 year mission lets say 4th Year (since TOS did 3 seasons) so that something to entice the hardcore fans. Also a nice bit of action for the casuals would help, still waiting to see the JJprise in some back n forth action. If WOM is good and the other films around it don't crush then beating STID could happen. Am sure Paramount are hoping to cross that $300 million domestic mark after going backwards in the sequel. You would expect the international market to continue growing so surpass $250 at least.

I would love 500-600 but I do worry about this not being directed by J.J Abrams.

3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Didn't Star Trek 12 make more than Star Trek 11?
    At the world-wide box office at least?

4. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

I follow boxoffice as a bit of a hobby and I believe STID would've done better had it not been so long between ST09 and STID.

ST09 seemed to have good word of mouth and audience enthusiasm, and then we heard nothing for several years and I think the franchise's rediscovered "hotness" kinda cooled.

So I think ST3 will do well, but it depends on the advertising campaign, and more importantly: word of mouth.

Poor reviews will sink the movie because Star Trek has been regaining some momentum but it's still a fragile franchise IMO struggling to get over the franchise fatigue of the Berman era, not to mention it's "uncool" reputation during the 1990s.

5. xavier

xavier Commander

Poor Reviews will definitely sink the film. star trek is not star wars

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Also slotting it between Iron Man 3 and Fast and the Furious 6 didn't help matters.

7. BillJ

Yeah. But if you account for inflation, IMAX and 3D ticket sales and whatever tickets they sold on the third Thursday of release, it did much, much worse.

8. EnriqueH

Bill! How the hell are you???

Yes, I agree with both of your posts.

But, IMO, I think waiting so long between 09 and STID hurt the film more than sandwiching it between F&F and IM3. I guess it's a testament that STID shouldn't have done as well as it, but it still did well.

9. BillJ

Oh, I definitely agree the extended wait hurt the movie at the box office. That and the advertising sucked because of the secrecy surrounding Khan.

Seems like everything went wrong for Star Trek Into Darkness that could go wrong. Outside of being an entertaining movie.

10. EnriqueH

Yeah, I liked it too.

I don't quite understand some of the Trekkie hate, I guess I should go into the Abrams board and do a little digging to get an understanding...

11. BillJ

Not a lot to understand really. There is a portion of the fan base that is simply resistant to change of any kind. The movies represent too great a departure from what they've known. Been watching that in motion since 1987.

Then there are some people that the movies simply don't work for. I'm not a huge fan of the TNG films.

12. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I can see why the haters hate JJ Trek I really can, a lot of them have valid reasons for it. There is so much of it that is seriously controversial to fans for so many reasons, I won't list it.

The rub for me though, is that it is so damn entertaining for new fans especially (I have literally 10 minutes ago had a conversation with someone who loved STID who had absolutely no idea about the Khan backstory or even had any knowledge of the original film) and old fans alike that this 40 year old fan can not only excuse a few easter eggs but fully enjoy them in the same way I would looking at a few old photos.

Point being - I am an absolutely massive fan of TMP and I'm really enjoying JJ Trek. I'd rather have this than some crappy underbudgeted inward looking extended TV episode on the big screen.

We should enjoy it while we can, Trek will be back in a different form at some point for us to enjoy, but who knows how long it will be before it happens?

13. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

STB will probably do bigger than STID in China maybe it will do about 100m as STID did 56m and china box office is on the increase for big HW movies (TGen did over 100m). so quite possible for STB to make about 500-600m (which would be like $1b for Trek)

this Trek movie would probably make over $2b though :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLo80ugXahk

14. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy thread necromancy. Still, here's the movie that *I'd* watch...

http://i.imgur.com/qiyAjyY.gifv

15. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This movie may be closer to the spirit of the original series. So, maybe, hard core fans could show more interest in it (USA box office in STID was a disappointment).

I feel there is a good chance that this movie do a box office bigger than STID.
    China, Emirates, Europe, Brazil have have good growth potential.
    But, in this moment, we cannot predict what will happen.

16. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm predicting Beyond's final domestic box office tally will be somewhere between Into Darkness' $228.7 million and Trek 2009's $257.7 million. Worldwide, it'll hopefully be bigger than Into Darkness, though.

17. BillJ

I imagine the movie will do somewhere around $500 million worldwide. Though with Lin directing, maybe we'll get some crossover action with Fast and Furious fans. Maybe pushing the total to $550 million.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Khan, I've asked you before not to bump your old threads when there's really nothing new to add. Please don't do it again.

Closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.