Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bingo - that's the reason I pay money for a movie ticket. If I caught myself thinking that a fucking superhero movie was going to uplift or educate or aspire to high art I'd put the cash toward a therapist's appointment instead.

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Synder didn't 'get' Watchmen at all, by virtue of the fact that a movie was even made.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

You're mistaken.

4. Shazam!

I'm 100% sure a movie was made.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't that then completely discredit the claim that the comic was unfilmable?

6. Admiral Buzzkill

You know what else is "unfilmable?"

Harry Potter. Gone With The Wind.

These kind of properties are "unfilmable" in the sense that decently structured movies of practical length can't be made without major changes that offend purist fans of the original work. In the case of these two examples, different approaches were taken to solve that - with Harry Potter, the filmmakers go for the kitchen-sink-make-it-fit approach to appease the Potterheads or whatever they're called on the premise that there are enough of them and their WOM is more important than dramatic integrity. In the case of GWTW, a gaggle of screenwriters simply forged ahead and did the necessary surgery anyway.

7. Shazam!

Having seen the movie, I'd say it proved it.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I say the opposite.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure a more faithful movie could have been made, but not by Snyder. He just can't help but make everything really glossy and overly-stylized-- which are probably the two biggest things a Watchmen movie should NOT be. lol

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

A closer adaptation than Snyder's, especially in terms of more closely mimicking the color palette of the comic book, was highly unlikely to get a greenlight from a studio.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let's not get into a pissing contest if "Watchmen" should have been made or not. It was made, and some people enjoyed it, others didn't. The fact that Snyder pulled it off in the first place is an achievement in it's self I believe.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, it didn't work for me, and I know nothing about the Graphic novel, but, it did work for many others like me. Just as it worked for many who did know the Graphic Novel and didn't work for others.

13. Admiral_Young

Not to mention the fact that it probably got non fans who didn't read the graphic novel to read the graphic novel.

14. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I know for a fact that it did. The first weekend Watchmen was out, I was eating lunch at work. There was a gaggle of extremely young women sitting at the table next to mine. They were all talking about the movie and how they were all going to read the graphic novel. Now these chicks clearly never picked up a comic in their lives and I nearly had a goddamn coronary when I heard what they were talking about.

Of course I'm of the opinion that it was Doc Manhattan's shlong that drew them to the material, but that's neither here nor there...

15. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

haha a gaggle, you say?

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Having seen the movie - more than once - I say that you're right.

That would be the "Anthony Weiner system of attracting women and influencing people?"

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly my point. The fact they were able to make a movie that follows the source material w/o drastic/radical changes to the storyline/characters indicates that the material is filmable. Whether you line the adaptation is, of course, another matter entirely.

That makes absolutely no sense, but whatevs.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure what the final result will be, but it's still pretty cool to know that another Superman movie is about to start filming.

20. Admiral_Young

Ahhh the final phases of pre-production are coming to an end and filming is about to start! Still curious that Lex hasn't been cast yet. I guess he won't be in the film? There were rumors to except three characters to be cast after the Julie Ormond story broke but I guess those were just rumors.