Best TV Show Ever Comes to DVD End of April

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I was a huge fan of HSB when it came out. It seemed gritty and more realistic than other police shows. Problem is police shows have advanced pretty far in the past decade and it just doesn't hold up against The Shield and The Wire.

2. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It has been decades since I have seen the end of the run but as I remember it it seems to stand up, except for the gang summits which seemed like something out of West Side Story even during the original run.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's all but certain that life didn't go on for Tony, even before Gandolfini's untimely death.

Whoa. It's available already. I thought it didn't come out for another month?

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, I disagree. HSB was never intended to be a "cop show" as much as a more broadly-focused show about the lives of people who happened to be cops. As much as I love it, even The Wire didn't reach the breadth and depth HSB did with exploring its large cast of characters. As I plow through the later seasons, I have been pretty impressed at how well the stories and writing do hold up. It should be understood, though, that it often functions as drama, satire or even comedy more than "crime genre." My wife, who never saw the show back in the day, has been completely riveted.

Agreed. Those scenes always feel like they should end with one of the gang leaders standing up and repeating "Can you dig it?!"

Shout!Factory had a deal for advance orders direct from them to ship early.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    Shout! is still shipping the set early (since it doesn't street until 4/29 elsewhere). :)

http://www.shoutfactory.com/product/hill-street-blues-complete-series

I'm looking forward to finally getting a chance to see this series. I saw sequences from the pilot episode in grad school and again at a career tribute for director Bob Butler a few months ago. The relevant parts are below, for those interested:

6. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that was great to read, thanks again. Bochco gives Butler a big share of the credit for setting the feel of the entire show with the early episodes he directed. It was cool that James Sikking was there, he always seems like an amiable gent and ready to talk about HSB. In his interview on the new disc he says he was asked on a later job whether he'd ever done comedy. He replied "Have you ever seen Hill Street Blues?"