Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the announcement I was most interested in of the new ones. This appears about as spot on for casting as you can get for Luke Cage. He's got the acting and physically imposing looks for the part.

Cumberbatch was no surprise. I'm fine with.

Ritter was my least choice of the short list that was published a few weeks back but I'm not so attached to Jessica Jones as a character that I can cry foul either with her getting the role.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

3. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh. I recall that being the working title of the ABC series they were planning like 4 years ago that didn't get picked up.

4. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

^It also has the same head writer as the aborted ABC show, so I'd expect it to be somewhat similar. Not that we have much of an idea of what that show would've been like...

5. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I wonder how many scripts were written for that version of the show and whether they'll be able to use/adapt them for this incarnation.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I suspect the different medium would encourage them to, if not scrap them and start over, then to at least heavily modify them. Daredevil is being marketed as a 13 hour movie and I have no reason to think AKA Jessica Jones to be any different considering the source material is Brian Michael Bendis who likes longform single stories anyway.

7. Skywalker

I remember back when ABC passed on the show a couple of years ago, Melissa Rosenberg discussed shopping it around and suggested it would be fairly easy to adjust the tone for a potential cable network, since the source material was a bit more adult in nature.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

One difference I'm sure from the original pitch is that originally, Carol Danvers played a supporting role just as she does in the comics. With the Captain Marvel film on the way, Im sure that aspect will be altered.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But it's not just about adult content. It's about the difference between a once-a-week format and the Netflix format where the whole season goes live at once and can be binge-watched in a day or two. That format would encourage a more unified story structure. I think they said about Daredevil that they aren't going to use cliffhanger endings because there's no point when you can start watching the next episode immediately.

I guess that depends on how long it takes them to cast the character for the movie. Maybe if there's a second season, we could see her show up there in advance of the film.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So is it a fair assumption(as deadly as assuming can be) that each episode of DD, or any Netflix Marvel show, will be self contained as far as it's A story. Each episode has a finished conclusion while perhaps a B story subplot is the through line of each episode?

11. Alidar Jarok

More likely the opposite. Each will be a small part of a bigger puzzle. There will probably be some kind of beginning and end to justify why they start and end it there (besides their 60 minutes being up), but it'll likely be many continuing threads, including all major storylines.

Think House of Cards.

12. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure their comment was just that they wouldn't be doing the classic serialized trope of ending every episode and act break on a cliffhanger or big reveal. It just doesn't have as much impact in the on-demand miniseries format. I'm sure if one presents itself organically they'll put it to use.

13. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would think being on Netflix would create a desire for more cliffhangers at the end of an episode, to keep people binge-watching, instead of waiting to watch the next episode - similar to a book you can't put down at the end of a chapter.

14. Alidar Jarok

My guess is they're referring to the classic cliffhanger of someone in imminent peril only to have that problem resolved within minutes the next episode. There's no point having that because you can always play the first five minutes of the next episode and see what happens.

On the other hand, I think they'll still have big twists or shocking moments to keep people's attention of "what happens next."

15. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

Why would Netflix want that? Its completely okay for Netflix that you watch only one episode per month and keep your subscription active all that time :D

16. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Is the whole set going to be released at one time or in batches? It seems strange that the whole "season" would be released on one day, well for me, I don't watch Netflix tv shows.:confused:

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

All the Netflix shows so far have put out the full season on the same day.*

*Except things like Turbo FAST, which is a kids animated show and they've put batches of episodes up as they're ready and From Dusk Til Dawn in the UK, which they put up each episode as they aired in the US.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It helps to consider the context. Before Netflix offered original programming, they offered DVD season sets and online video streams of same. So their subscribers got into the habit of binge-watching entire seasons or entire series at their own pace, rather than just watching one episode per week. Thus, when Netflix started streaming original programming alongside their rebroadcast TV series, it made sense to offer them in the same format that their subscriber base was already accustomed to.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So do we think there's any chance we could be seeing a first trailer for DD soon? I'm pretty sure they filmed quite a while ago, so I would expect they would have plenty of finished footage by now.

20. Skywalker

I believe they either just recently finished filming the last episode or are currently doing so. Steven S. DeKnight posted a tweet about preparing to direct the finale not too long ago.