how do people feel about robert orci and Kurtzmen returning?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm afraid transwarp beaming is here to stay.

Or at least the math is.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It is the Kirk and Spock show, they are the iconic characters. No one in the general audiences really care about the background characters.

3. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked the first movie better and the first movie was written by Orci and Kurtman only so....

To tell the truth, I don't really feel anything. I'm just glad that Lindelof isn't involved since I can bet that most of what I didn't like in the last movie was his fault :lol: (and Orci more or less confirmed it so..)

I'm tiny bit more worried about JJ not directing it because we don't know who will replace him yet and it could be some very mediocre guy. Personally I think that a trilogy is better when handled, written and directed by the same guys if only for the sake of having a definite style but that's me.

define "no one" ;) I care about the background characters too and if fanworks/fan communities are any hint of it, I'm not the only one. In the star trek reboot fandom Uhura and Bones are almost as popular as Kirk and Spock and a lot of people want to see more of the other characters too.
    Many different opinions for sure, far from a "no one".
    From some perspective, too much focus on K/S alone can be not only problematic and a huge hinderance for the franchise and these characters, it also makes their relationship terribly forced and pretentious as hell in the eyes of a modern audience (so Ln X might be onto something with this point)

I think that the general audience, meaning non-hardcore trek fans and people that got interested in the franchise thank to the 09 reboot - and thus don't have the same emotional attachment to these characters that trekkies do - are precisely the ones who care about the ensemble not just Kirk and/or Spock (there are tons of Spock/Quinto fans that could care less about Kirk and viceversa ).
    Besides, the Kirk/Spock show (or more like the Shatner's show) was a result of its time. Last time I checked we were in the 2013 and I thought I was watching a modern reboot.

4. BillJ

Notice I said "general audiences". :techman:

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen Dredd, and it is one of my favorite films of 2012. I remembered seeing the cringe-worthy (IMO) Judge Dredd in 1995, and that was my experience with the Dredd series (having never read the comics at that point). Still, I had seen ST09 and loved it, especially Karl Urban's performance, and was willing to give it a chance. I was mightily impressed. Seriously, Karl pulled off a great character, and I'm with those who want to see a Dredd sequel, though it is very unlikely to happen since the movie didn't earn a profit.

6. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Can't wait for another movie, agree that we need to see more McCoy (*I am in no way motivated by the fact *J.Allen* points out about Mr. Urban's flawless dreaminess . . . ); would add that I would also like to see more Scotty.

7. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dredd sequel is probably one of two films I am eagerly awaiting, that and the second Hobbit film. It's rare I look forward to something new on the horizon but my hopes are raised!

8. BillJ

I was incredibly disappointed with Dredd, it felt like a bad The Warriors rip-off. I thought Judge Dredd was the better of the two films. More original and more fun. :shrug:

9. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am suprised at all the positive coments for the movie. Its nice to know that theres one place on the internet that hasnt been tooken over by new trek haters.

10. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I'm not a new trek hater, but I reserve the right to not like the ending of STID.

11. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i was referring to websites such as trek movie and jammers reviews where the fourms have been overwelmed by jj haters writing negative coments about the movie.

12. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Please no, I dont think theres a need to explain it out.. just move on and forget about it (both the writers and audience) in the same way the Producers of Stargate forgot that a 3rd shot from a Zat gun disintegrates once they decided it was silly.

I liked some of the Spock/Uhura relationship, and there are many fans of it, so instead of end it just dont play into it as pivotal points of the story... simply show them talking off duty in the rec room or something.

Yes agree with you here, I would rather have my top Starfleet agent gone rogue to actually be that, I didnt mind Khan in the end but it took the second watch to get over it (worst kept secret in Hollywood) and find it funny they out him on the back of the DVD cases instead of letting people who dont know watch the film and experience the twist (beyond daftness right there... yes I am talking to you Paramount!)

Give it time, Im sure they are on their way...

13. Yanks

You don't have to be a JJ or nutrek hater to be displeased/frustrated with portions of STID.

14. Yanks

It's been such a throrn, that I think it needs something to put it to bed. "Just move on" I thought was OK for after the frist one.

I would be OK with that, but they've made such a spectical of it I doubt they will just let it go to the background.

It's so frustrating they went to all that trouble to give themselves a clean slate in ST09 and then didn't have the courage to use it.

15. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well said.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I hate when DVD Producers do that. Babylon 5 Season 2, the picture on the cover ruins the Delenn Twist, and if you were lucky enough not to notice that, the Opening credits of the first couple episodes on TV used the S1 picture, but, the DVD opening credits using the S2 picture for the entire season, including the episodes before the twist. I watched it live in first run, so, no problem for me, but, it's a bummer for folks viewing it on DVD for the first time

17. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they have the feel right and the characters are as close as they're gonna get without going back in time and getting the original actors. But, like some others, I would LOVE it if they would lean away from fan service and homage and more toward originality. And stop going to Old Spock for answers.

Otherwise, bring it on.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I think that's part of why Prime Spock was in this one, to give a non-answer answer. After ST'09, many brought up the fact that Spock Prime should be spilling his guts, helping them to prevent every major thing that his Enterprisesaved the Galaxy from. By bringing in Spock Prime in STiD and having him be almost no help at all, it answered that question, and showed he's not going to spill everything he knows, so, now it's been addressed and can be moved beyond. If he hadn't been brought in, Fans would be screaming about why he wasn't brought in to be asked about Khan

19. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

These guys are doing a great job...no problems!

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Looking foward to them coming back to give us a third film.