Alexander Marcus/John Paxton connection?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Noddy, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I know it probably wasn't intended by the filmmakers, but I've been wondering if Admiral Marcus might be descended from John Frederick Paxton, from ENT "Demons" and "Terra Prime." Could such a link go some way towards explaining his attitudes?

2. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think so. Although there is a slight chance he could be related to Paxton and is "carrying on the family cause", you don't have to be a relative of someone to share their views. He could have studied Terra Prime and sympathized to a degree or could have developed his militant philosophy on his own. Besides, their goals were different. Paxton was xenophobic and wanted to rid earth of aliens while Marcus was going for a pre-emptive strike against a foreign power.

3. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Why must there be a link? At most they're two people who resemble each other somewhat despite living a century apart. You may as well ask if Captain Ron Tracey and Dr. Simon Van Gelder are related, or whether Dr. Ann Mulhall is a relative of Dr. Katherine Pulaski.

4. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I think Marcus could be said to be xenophobic to some degree, seeing as how he evidently strongly dislikes major alien powers, notably the Klingons, and seeks to destroy/subjugate them, making the Federation more totalitarian.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Agreed. You might as well ask if James T. Kirk is related to T. J. Hooker and a guy who saw a gremlin on an airplane wing, since they all resemble each other.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

While there was indeed a certain amount of speculation about a possible Paxton connection from the time Weller's casting was announced, I don't think such a link is really necessary in order for Marcus to exhibit any or all of the qualities you list.

7. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think there is any connection between them beside the fact they both share resemblance to a cyborg police officer from near future Detroit.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

No connection - just like there's no connection between Christine Chapel and Captain Pike's mysterious "Number One" (although fans have been linking them for 40+ years!)

9. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I keep telling you that, but you all keep ignoring me. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. It's hardly a coincidence that Paxton and Marcus look the same. And why does Carol Marcus look like Elizabeth Dehner? Has it ever occurred to anyone they are Bashir's paternal grandmothers? And if Khan stealing the voice of Smaug to lure Dr. Watson wasn't obvious enough, Pike now looks like the POTUS. And what's up with Uhura looking like the cave girl from Avatar and Spock looking like Dr. William Bell? You, young man, can't explain that.

If we think really hard about it on moloko plus, we can go deeper. If Enterprise is not canon, and Into Darkness is not canon, does that mean that they are different, or that they are the same? Is it the same fake continuity, or are they separate universes having each other's fake counterparts? I guess the real question you need to be asking yourself is... Does Enterprise's Quinto have a beard?

I have sent Ensign Marty Stu-Roddenberry to investigate.

10. Noddy

Noddy Captain

On the subject of Admiral Marcus, how long was he a member of Section 31? Did he join them before or after the destruction of Vulcan?

11. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IF I have the sequence right, Star Trek ID takes place 6 months after the last film. Harrison mentions he was discovered by Marcus after Vulcan's destruction, and he and his buddies were thawed out and used for weapons development. This would imply that perhaps Marcus was already part of Second 31 at this point. Also Marcus' ship had probably been in development for a while as large as it was.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I though ID was a year after STXI? Kirk was marooned on Delta Vega on Stardate 2258.42, and the London scene at the start of Into Darkness is Stardate 2259.55.

I figured Marcus had been a part of Section 31 for years. He seemed to be running them as well as Starfleet, as opposed to prior Treks where Starfleet admirals (like Ross) have been their pawns.

13. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's probably right. Even though I've seen the film, the 6 month thing was mentioned before the film came out and that probably just stuck with me. My apologies.

14. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

What I really want to know is, how Hardcastle ended up living on a Bajoran moon and McCormick is a Baku!