DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I saw the story about JLA #4 on Io9. Crap.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I would give DC credit if it turns out to be true and not a trick or something that gets reversed in a few months.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Selina has nine lives.

It's rarely used, often forgotten and barely canon, but in a pinch you can tap it and get her out of a fix.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They already established there was someone impersonating her. It was the impersonator.

5. Guy Gardener

Guess who's not reading Catwoman?

(It's me.)

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto for me then. So...an impersonator, hmmmmm

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'll keep reading JLA until at least Trinity War but after that I may drop it. Funnily enough I am finally reading my issues of JLI and I am really enjoying it. Too bad it got canceled.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

You know, I used to like the occasional variant cover but these days there are so many incentive and variant covers it's a bit ridiculous.

10. Admiral_Young

11. Admiral_Young

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmmm...Power Girl and Huntress are on the cover of the Earth 2/Desaad book. Are tney making it home by the fall?

13. Guy Gardener

The girls may be trapped, but Desaad is not.

Having the covers move like that is a lie. Any one that believes this lie is going to be very disappointed when they final buy these books.

Unless of course the magical world has decided to share with us muggles the secret of taking a moving/living picture.

14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have absolutely no interest in villain month. All the New 52 versions of classic villains suck. I'm hoping these are their own seperate thing so I can ignore them (not that I read many books they would effect anyway, but I'd still prefer them to be seperate). Still, they'll find a way to affect me. Maybe Joker's issue will reveal that he's actually Bruce's long lost illegitimate brother, or maybe Bizarro is actually the evil alter ego of Lois Lane. Also, Creeper is so stupid now its actually sad, and Desaad is really lame. The ventriloquist is beyond stupid, to the point where its not anything close to the actual character.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine those of us who buy digital will be charged the extra buck as well.

16. Guy Gardener

Those of you who pay for digital should be getting those .gif covers that really do move.

And even if you don't, you can still pull your comics apart and splice these covers on.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't.

It takes 12 seconds to turn what DC gives into a useable container full of customizable jpgs if you've installed the the right widget onto your browser.

17. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Actually Kirk55555 I kind of like the new version of the Ventriloquist. She has a much more demented air about her that fits in better with Gotham than the previous version.
    But the Flashs Rogues have been ruined completely by giving them actual powers. I am hoping Kadabra comes back from the future and "magics" them back to normal.
    I think King Shark has been made far more interesting in Suicide Squad as well. I will pick up some of the villian books but its nothing that has me excited.

18. Admiral_Young

Pulls for today:

-Action Comics #21
    -Astro City #1
    -Django Unchained #4

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Green Lantern #21 was not very impressive. The writing was very pedestrian. And the art wasn't very good either.

20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah....as big a Lantern fan as I am (and I am a huge Green Lantern fan) after reading this, I'm considering just letting the end of Johns' run be the end of my reading the book for the moment. I mean, it wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't good. If it weren't for character loyalty, I wouldn't consider continuing.

It feels like there's been some character backpedaling already, with Hal, Carol, and even Larfleeze all acting much differently than they were before. Hal's gone back to deadbeat boyfriend, Carol is back to "I love you, but get it together." There's also a bit of a kitchen sink feeling to this issue, like they tried to throw too much in at once and it winds up feeling unfocused.