Please don't airlock me . . .

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ryn, Apr 2, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I highly recommend going out of your way to see KM at a con. Out of the long list of Trek folk I've seen she was the all time best and not just because I'm a Janeway fan. She seems to just LOVE doing these things, she's very funny and dramatic and the audience is just eating out of her hand. She's damn good at it.

:: makes a cigar joke ::

No, really this is an awesome proposal. Someone needs to research all the presidential decisions and pass it through the KJ filter to see how she influenced them.

2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Kate is WONDERFUL in a con... but if the only reason you'd fly all the way to Vegas would be to see her... remember these people cancel gigs for other commitments all the time. Next month BOTH Patrick Stewart and Kate Mulgrew bowed out of a con in Boston, luckily I've seen both recently and am interested in the ones I haven't seen before.

WWJD? I used to have a KJ bumpersticker that said that!

Can't find it but this one is cute... :)

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1091267840/h2378255E/

Oh... I can feel her staring me down in this one... :eek:

http://itsachemicalworld.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/wwjd.jpg?w=500

Not my old bumper sticker... but it would do...:mallory:

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/pho...er-Do-star-trek-voyager-31276321-1280-720.png

God I love her hair in this one! :bolian:

http://static.diary.ru/userdir/3/3/5/9/335977/47265652.jpg

I bet THIS one is teacake's fav!!!! :drool: GWG's!

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/b92/2f...me-generator-what-would-janeway-do-5eeef3.jpg

3. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

That's terrific, and if I do go to a con, I'd see her.

But it's not heroic.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to dis Kate here. She may well be a terrific convention guest, a wonderful actress, a charming human being & a just a wonderful woman all around (although she's certainly made me question that with a few of her comments regarding a coworker).

But she's an actress, paid very well to do a job. I just don't understand calling her a hero.

4. teacake

Who called her a hero? I have a short attention span.. maybe it was KJ they were calling a hero?

I'm terrible, all my heroes are fictional.

And JRulez that last gun one is fabulous!

5. teya

^ My heroes tend to be fictional as well.

The track of the Kate Mulgrew as hero went as follows:

Ryn said that Kate Mulgrew is something of a hero to her. That doesn't surprise me so much, there may be some personal or professional traits that inspire her.

Then Corporal Clegg responded that Hillary Clinton also viewed Kate as a hero.

This did surprise me, and I just wanted to know why.

I mean, I would kind of figure the other way around.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair, your bumper only has two choices ever to make.

Hit the son of a bitch or mind it's own business.

How are your insurance rates these days?

7. teacake

This is kind of hierarchical though, it seems to be you're saying that Clinton is more than KM so why would she find KM a hero? But since KM is more than Ryn it makes sense she would find KM a hero? I'm not having a go at you, it just strikes me as funny that a politician with power is possibly seen as above an actor as far as heroes go. If I've totally misread any of this my apologies.

(7 would be my hero as far as VOY goes, Janeway is more my icon.)

8. teacake

I want the gun one on the bumper of my life.

9. teya

Hillary Clinton broke barriers. I can see someone thinking of her as a hero. She was the first US First Lady to go on to a career equal to her husband's following his term in office. She's been Secretary of State during some difficult times.

And, well, she fought for medical benefits for the 9/11 first responders (like my brother), who were being hung out to dry by the Bush administration, so I have a personal affection for her.

Kate's an actress, decent at what she does. But there's nothing in her bio that sticks out as "hero" to me, especially to the level that a groundbreaker like Clinton would call her a hero.

10. Ryn

Ryn Ensign Newbie

JanewayRulz!, I can't even . . . I don't . . . I just . . . I died at that video. Oh god, I'm dying here. I don't think I've laughed this hard in a very long time, but that freaking video has me snorting. >.>

Kate Mulgrew is an amazing actress, but what really endeared her to my heart is her work with Alzheimer's research. I know she lost her mother to the disease, and I lost my grandfather to it, so I admire the fact that she's such a champion for research and whatnot. She's so passionate with everything she does, she's dedicated and wonderful. Plus, she's just amazing and versatile.

There's a con going to Tennessee in September (I think . . .) and it's only four or five hours from me. Kate's gonna be there and you can bet your sweet buns that I'll be there. I fell off my chair when I saw that she's making an appearance and since it's so close, I decided that I would be there no matter what. Now I just have to wait for it . . . Sad day.

11. teacake

You'll have a fabulous time Ryn! Cons are a blast :)

12. Ryn

Ryn Ensign Newbie

I'm so excited at the prospect of getting to see so many amazing Trek actors all in one place. And then there's the obvious excitement factor . . . Kate. I can't wait to see her live and the idea of getting to experience one of her panels in person is completely overwhelming. I'm such a fangirl.

13. Guy Gardener

Hillary was 46 when Voyager started, and 65 now.

46 year olds living in the white house are not looking for the same sorts of inspirational heroes that 10 year olds are.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

After the 2008 election, for the first time in my life, I was older than the President. It's a strange feeling.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

"Hero" is really a term defined by relative perception. People idolize excessively revere parents, neighbors, friends, etc. for accomplishing, what would otherwise be, the mundane all the time. The first lade of the United States admiring a woman who, through her job, became a strong role-model for a lot of women shouldn't be any stretch of the imagination--nor should calling her a "hero," semantics aside.

16. teacake

Good point Clegg. If I felt the weight of being a role model for women I would admire that element of an actor too, because it's a choice to take on that kind of thing.

17. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Voyager portrayed female role models extremely well.

As a matter of fact, gender had little or nothing to do with their best qualities.

18. Ryn

Ryn Ensign Newbie

One think I admired most about Voyager was that gender played into the series very little. The fact that Kathryn Janeway was a female didn't matter to those who served under her. What really mattered was that she was competent, caring, hardworking, and willing to do what had to be done to get her crew home.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

When we see Harry Kim strutting around in a skin tight body suit, we can talk about gender not playing a role in this show. :p

20. Guy Gardener

Wrong.

There is no human on human sexual/gender bias in the future.

Kathryn didn't have to over come shit.

Education is free and no one has a substandard of living.

In fact being the daughter of an Admiral tapped a level of nepotism/old school tie elitism which is the closest thing they probably get to Racism, even though it was working in reverse (unless you count all the more illegible/law abiding citizens whose place in line was displaced by Kathryn making a mockery of due process who were being oppressed by Starfleet Legacies?) which really means that she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth despite there being no money and no class system that such a thing should be impossible.