Star Trek Vanguard series

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by cbspock, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily...

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Well, it's one way to make a series stand-out! ;)

Quite seriously, I don't recall reading a Trek series with quite such a high level of actual planets going boom, I mean sure Destiny has tons of worlds get blasted, but the balls of rock are still there.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I would think this series may be on a slightly smaller scale.

Maybe just blowing up some planetoids, a moon or two and some asteroids...

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just got the first two Vanguard books . I've been looking forward to start reading the first 2 books after reading recent discussions about the series here in the treklit forum.:)

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  5. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just ordered the first three novels myself. Originally the idea of a series set in the TOS era didn't excite me, but the rave reviews on the board convinced me that I needed to put this on my reading list. I can't wait to get started and then return with my two cents.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It's TOS in the joined up, grown up style of the 24th century novels, with the added freedom of knowing it was a finite series with a definite end.

I wish all TOS was like this...

7. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am mid way through book 2 of Vanguard. I really like how it expands the TOS universe with the new ships. The crew of Endeavor is an interesting bunch. Can't wait to see the spin off SEEKERS series.

I really like the use of the Tholians so far in book 1 and 2 as well as setting up tension between the Klingons and the Federation that will boil over in "Errand of Mercy". I really like the story arc with Pennington and Quinn, and the character of T'Prynn is interesting.

The sad thing was I initially blew off this series for years, it wasn't until I heard some episodes of Literary Treks on TREK.FM and the discussions with the authors that I decided I needed to check out some original series Trek books again after years of being away from them.

-Chris

8. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Glad to have you aboard for the adventure. On the bright side, now that the series is concluded, you can just power through all 8 books in a marathon of 23rd-century awesomeness. If you read quickly, you might even finish before Seekers debuts at the end of July..... :)

9. cbspock

That is the good part, I don't have to wait for the next book :). I did the same thing with the Honor Harrington books I am at least now current with that series.

-Chris

10. cbspock

I noticed a mistake in book 2 in the ebook version in chapter 22.

“He waited patiently as the lift slowed to a stop at different levels, allowing the other patients to disembarked ..

Excerpt From: Ward, Dayton. “Star Trek: Vanguard #2: Summon the Thunder.” POCKET BOOKS, 2006. iBooks.
    This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=381535270

It should be passengers

-Chris

11. David Mack

It's a little late to fix it now....

12. cbspock

LOL :p

These aliens they stumbled upon are interesting. The gateways sort of remind me of the Iconian gateways from TNG. It also seems that that Tholians know who they are.

-Chris

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Is it just the ebooks ? Updates are easy, but if it's the physical books too...

We could all post our copies direct to Dayton and he cold correct them and send them back.

Can we have his address please ?

:)

14. cbspock

Are there any good blueprints of Vanguard anywhere? Are the starship docking bays like the one seen on Spacedock where the ship can fly into them, and the doors close behind the ship but not as big? Or does it just open enough for the saucer section to dock and the rest of the ship sticks out of the dock?

-Chris

15. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I assumed the ships were enclosed within the station, but, obviously, that's an assumption on my part.

I had thought one of the books (1st or 2nd?) advertised blueprints, but the ebook version of the 1st book didn't include such blueprints. If they're in the 2nd I haven't come across them yet.

16. cbspock

I didn't see them in the first 2 ebooks yet

-Chris

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

18. David Mack

A Constitution-class starship fits inside Vanguard's main docking bay with the doors closed just behind its nacelles. There were diagrams of the station in the print edition of Harbinger, but for reasons that surpass understanding, they weren't included in the eBook version. You can see them here on my website:

Star Trek Vanguard: The Finale Page

Just beware of spoilers! Don't read the series bible, or the annotations for books you haven't read, etc. I'd also avoid most of the linked podcasts until after you finish reading the entire saga.

19. cbspock

Thanks!! I'll bookmark the site and check out the additional material as i finish the books. I'll check out the podcasts once I'm done with the series to extend my Vanguard experience.

-Chris

20. cbspock

Book 2 takes a pretty bold Star Trek statement by having a Muslim woman as the Captain of a starship. Considering Muslims today treat women worse then dog crap as seen on many news stories. If this story ever made it to TV I am sure Muslim's would be screaming like stuck pigs over this version of Trek.

-Chris

Last edited: May 12, 2014