General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently there were rumours that Paul was writing his promos for him, but Heyman has denied this.

2. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Smackdown needs a fucking miracle, lightning in a bottle. The legends show was fun, but they can't pull that card trick every week.

3. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

With the Bellas rumored to be leaving the company in about 5 days, I highly doubt anyone in WWE cares.

4. Admiral_Young

After thinking about it a bit, it's very possible that Niki's reign is looked at as being some kind of reward. Otherwise I can't see a logical reason for making either Bella Divas Champion when they're about to leave.

5. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

It could very well be that they have agreed to re-sign with the company and Nikki has been awarded a title push as a result and (Brie has already been Diva's Champion) perhaps the intention that both of them will be heavily involved in storylines in the near future.

Either that, or WWE would rather that someone on their way out of the company takes the monstrous squash from Kharma. I find this hard to envision though, because WWE has never been hesistant to bury their Diva talent before, regardless of their contract status.

6. Admiral_Young

Yeah didn't Kharma squash Michelle McCool on her last night? I'm just tossing stuff out there. Most of WWE's decisions baffle me on most occasions.

7. Mr Silver

There is some logic in some of WWE's more questionable decisions, but to be able to discern this logic, you must learn about how the WWE system works.

WWE is an anomaly in the professional wrestling industry, because despite being a professional wrestling organisation, it has rebranded itself as a seperate entity. Initially, this was done so Vince McMahon could carve out a unique product based upon wrestling that would reach out and draw in an audience during a declining period of professional wrestling. Nowadays though, a lot of this branding has become so ridiculous that many people speculate that Vince McMahon is ashamed of being a wrestling promoter and feels that he isn't accepted by the mainstream entertainment industry - which is untrue because WWE regulary draws in viewing figures on primetime television networks, comparable to and better than many entertainment shows.

Anyway, from what I understand, some areas of the WWE backstage system operate like a government, in the sense that politics play a big factor in the making of some decisions. Furthermore, there is an element of old school wrestling fraternity and unwritten rules of conduct in play that range from performers being "humbled" by having their push aborted because they weren't percieved as being "respectful" enough to some of the veterans, to guys recieving support from veterans because they have made a good "impression" (like forming a bond over mutual interests in the case of Sheamus and Triple H).

There are also some very silly things in WWE that are taken very seriously by the veterans, like the "wrestlers court" in which a performer is summoned into a mock trial because of something they have done wrong. The sentencing, if found guilty, ranges from being made to buy beer for the locker room to actually losing support from other performers and spending an extended period of time jobbing and working dark matches.

I also understand that Vince McMahon has the final say on everything, although he does trust his creative team to make storylines decisions without his immediate approval. He is also very flexible with performers that he knows can cut a promo, allowing the likes of Paul Heyman to cut a brutal worked shoot on him with the only stipulation being that Heyman "sells the PPV". However, Vince can be a real factor in the cautious push of fan favourite talent such as CM Punk, Zack Ryder, Christan and Daniel Bryan because they are very different to the stars that he has helped make in the past (Hogan, Austin, Rock, etc) and it seems that the delay in them recieving a push, despite being white hot with the audience is down to Vince taking his time to study them and figure out if they "have what it takes".

8. Admiral_Young

^ I'm well aware of how WWE is reported to operate and how decisions are made. It doesn't mean that I can't be critical or question them as a fan when they do something that is dumb or seemingly illogical.

9. Mr Silver

Of course, but others might not be and that's the reason I posted the explanation.

WWE has announced that they've suspended Rey Mysterio for 60 days following his second wellness violation. The guy isn't even cleared to wrestle, which somewhat adds legitimacy to the wellness policy by proving that every performer under contract, is subject to testing no matter what their status.

10. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Till Brock Lesnar leaves the WWE I am done with the wwe he's worst than john l.

Now did anyone catch fight night on impact? That was AWESOME.

11. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems like there have been more than a few WWE fans showing up at the NFL Draft the last two days. Every time the words "With the (insert number) pick in the Draft...." are spoken, members of the audience can be heard saying, "WHAT?!" As much as I hate that chant, I have to admit it's pretty funny when used in this context.

12. Mr Silver

My Extreme Rules Predictions

Santino Marella (c) vs. The Miz: I'm picking Santino to retain in his usual way because he is very popular at the moment and there is no real harm in him recieving a decent push, even though he is predominantly a comedy character.

Nikki Bella (c) vs. Beth Phoenix: I think there is a possibility that this match will be thrown out and Kharma will end up walking away from Extreme Rules as Diva's Champion. But if this doesn't happen, I pick Nikki to retain

Cody Rhodes vs. Big Show (c): We're possibly looking at a match that will favour Cody given the "spin the wheel" stipulation. But I'm predicting that Big Show will retain to extend the feud.

Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk (c): I'm picking Punk to win, because it's the only result that makes sense at this stage.

Sheamus (c) vs. Daniel Bryan: I don't think for one minute that the enormous popularity that DB has recieved from the audience has convinced WWE to put the WHC back on him. I do think however, that WWE has realised DB's character potential and have decided to keep him in the main event picture. I think that Sheamus will retain, with a good chance of there being a competitive match.

Randy Orton vs. Kane: I'd be very surprised if Kane walked out as the winner, so I'm picking Orton to win.

John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar: I think there is a chance that WWE might actually end this match in a no-contest after both men are declared "unable to continue". I think Lesnar is walking out the winner though, in pretty decisive fashion, because he's being built as a legitimately tough guy (which he is) to pose a real threat to either The Rock or The Undertaker at Wrestlemania XXIX. I wouldn't be surprised if Lesnar became the "first person" (since 03/04) to make Cena submit.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  13. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

That works for me, but I'm leaning more on the no-contest than anything else. I do think, however, that Brock will be made to look stronger in some form or fashion.

I can also see Lesner winning because Cena is physically unable to continue. That would give Lesner the win, maintain the image (to those who choose to buy it) of Cena as a "Never say die" sort, and give the feud room to carry on.

14. Admiral_Young

I think I actually agree with all of Admiral M's picks for once. The only way that I could see Miz winning the US Title on youtube is that the WWE might do another Miz/Randy Orton thing and have the heel win against the over face but I doubt it right now. Haven't read anything about Mike's behaviour improving so Santino retains. Punk will retain the WWE Champion and tie Mike's current record as longest reigning WWE Champion. His family and friends will be there, and as I've mentioned a couple times before, it's the final night of production of his DVD. I think it is almost a year as well into the speculation that Punk might actually leave the WWE as well.

15. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

So, here's my Extreme Rules predictions. I've not said an awful lot recently due to WWE being dire. Lesnar and Cena's not done anything, Albert has returned as the most boring thing ever, Clay and Hornswoggle vs Ziggler and Swagger was booked as an actual match. This is possibly the worst the company's been since...well, over a year. TNA, on the other hand, has been genuinely good.

Cena vs Lesnar
    Who I want to win: Can't decide
    Who I think will win: Cena
    Cena's not likely to job clean 2 PPVs in a row after not doing so for about 4 years. This whole Lesnar return's been a bit dull on the whole. Every Raw and Smackers they play the same interview with Lesnar and there's not been anything memorable besides Lesnar's potatoing Cena in the mouth. The contract signing that capped off a Raw that was unusually dire seemed to have no script. Cena's new green t-shirt is ugly too. Just really hard to get excited about.

Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan
    Who I want to win: Daniel Bryan
    Who I think will win: Sheamus
    They'd be stupid not to give Bryan back the belt; he's massively over. So of course, Sheamus will probably win. Sheamus is awful. He's especially rubbish as a face though; there's no difference between his face character and the Big Show's; all grinning and bland, only he'll kick you in the head by surprise. What a cheeky chappie eh. But at least the 2 out of 3 falls stipulation means he'll have to work a proper match for the first time since his feud with Christian last year (I genuinely can't think of a full and proper match he's had since if we don't include the Royal Rumble).

CM Punk vs Jericho
    Who I want to win: Jericho
    Who I think will win: Jericho
    At least some effort's gone into this feud, can't fault that. It's a shame this can't be a straight wrestling match considering their WM match was the best of the year so far, but that's the nature of the post-WM PPV. I suspect Jericho may win, simply because his return was so massively hyped it'd be rendered pointless for a title reign not to follow. If he doesn't, I won't be massively disappointed so long as the match is good (which it ought to be).

Orton vs Kane
    Who I want to win: Kane
    Who I think will win: Orton
    Whoever wins will likely be catapulted (back) up to the main event, despite the fact that even if Orton wins you'd think the Wrestlemania encounter ought to carry more relevance. If you include their Raw match then they're 1-1, so I guess this is the decider. Hopefully it's Kane. He's much better. More likely Orton will find his way back up to championship contention. How boring that would be.

Big Show vs Cody Rhodes
    Who I want to win: Rhodes
    Who I think will win: Big Show
    Rhodes was doing well with the IC championship. He's a good wrestler. Big Show isn't. He's boring and useless. But at least a lot of credibilty's been brought back to the IC belt. Unlike...

Santino vs Miz
    Who I want to win: Miz
    Who I think well win: Miz
    I don't like the Miz. He's not a good wrestler. But he used to be credible, and giving him the US title would hopefully raise its profile out of the gutter. Santino's a joke. The comic relief should not hold a championship. He is a capable wrestler, but while his finisher's the cobra and his gimmick is that he acts like a f***ing idiot, it devalues the US title.

Beth Phoenix vs Nikki Bella
    Who I want to win: Beth
    Who I think will win: Nikki
    All signs point to Beth losing due to her kayfabe injury and Nikki being a transitional champion for Kharma. That's fair enough, but if true then there's no need to have this on the PPV instead of TV.

16. Admiral_Young

17. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

Prediction: Not wanting either Cena or Lesnar to lose at this point, WWE will have them go to some bullshit no contest. Falling off the stage through tables with fake lighting equipment exploding and Cole shouting "THEY'RE BOTH LITERALLY DEAD!" or something.

Maybe the Bellas will walk out on WWE and take the Divas title to TNA and throw it in the trash like Alundra Blaze did in WCW all those years ago. But who would care.

18. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

I recall CM Punk doing the same thing last summer, taking pictures of the World Title sitting in his refrigerator. If anything, this may suggest she's not leaving.

19. Admiral_Young

I remember the pic of the title in his fridge. LOL

20. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I don't care about the diva division, but I was annoyed at Beth losing the title when she was so close to having the record for longest reign. She's clearly the most capable of the divas in the ring, so I don't see the harm in letting her take the record from whoever has it.