Mark Hamill: No more Joker

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

DAMN! I was surprised to see on IMDB a month ago he just turned 60!! Give the man a break! Although IMO he was the BEST Joker around, putting THAT much into a voice role might tend to be much.

2. T.Geiger

T.Geiger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't have a source handy, but I'm pretty sure I've read its for the same reason Hamil is probably calling it quits. She's not a young woman anymore and its quite difficult to pull off the voice successfully. The quality of her voice was actually pretty noticeable in Arkham Asylum.

Its too bad the technology and know-how weren't around to do these games during TAS' heyday.

3. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So he'll be free to hook up with Kevin Smith for his triumphant return as Cock knocker then?

"Don't f*ck with the Jedi master son."

;)

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Live action or animation? The animated version sounded a bit more like his original voice but in "The Flash" live action series he sounds a lot like the Joker.

5. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

No one will ever do that Joker voice as well, so it's always going to be a shame. He was a much better actor than he ever got credit for. I definitely agree with that, too.

I've been re-watching "Batman: TAS" lately, and it's still astonishing to me the level of voice-acting talent they had on that show. I hope Conroy continues to do the voice, until such time as he sees fit to stop. That's another case of no one doing that voice (or voices, I guess) better.

6. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

^That, my friend, is an understatement. TAS's voice-acting kicked butt. Conroy... he fits the Dark Knight. I watched a clip of the end of "Harley's Holiday" and the entirety of Justice League Unlimited's "Epilogue," and Conroy brings such humanity to Batman. Conroy's probably the reason Bats is my favorite superhero.

And Mark Hamill's Joker is still my favorite.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm in the process of watching Batman: TAS and I do have to agree that the voice acting is pretty impressive.

8. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I'm wondering if we'll ever see Cock Knocker again.:(

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering Kevin Smith is prepping his final movie "Hit Somebody" and the ViewAskewinverse is pretty much concluded with "Clerks II" I doubt we'll see Cock Knocker again. That was such a fantastic scene.

10. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I was just joking, I know that universe is over. I think it sucks, but it ended on a high note. Something tells me that Kevin Smith is not done making movies.

11. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I actually do think he's done with directing. But he'll produce and distribute for sure. I think he's more interested and passionate in things like his SModcasting where he can just TALK for hours on end. That's where his passion really lies. He's a social creature to the nth degree. :)

12. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Fuck, why did I click on that spoiler link?!

Stupid OCD.

Mark Hamill has always been a good actor (check out "The Big Red One"). Plus he is such a big nerd! Check out "Comic Book the Movie" if you are a big fan of voice actors.

13. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ LOVE the Big Red One.. Seriously one of my favorite movies from back then.

I read this today with some dismay.. I was really hoping he'd be up for doing the Joker for "The Dark Knight Returns," which I understand is now a "go" (insert fan-boy squeee!)...

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Personally, I always take it with a pinch of salt when actors say never. Sean Connery and James Bond and all that.

And I would imagine that an adaptation of TDKR might well be the very thing to tempt Mark Hamill out of Joker retirement - appropriately enough, given the plot!

15. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ On that note, I realize that the characters in the story are out of date (Soviet Union, digital President Reagan), but I hope they keep the gritty, adult oriented feel of it and don't dumb it down.

And how cool would it be if David Letterman actually voiced the talk show host who interviews the Joker after his release?

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should cast Dave Letterman to voice the talk show host that is clearly based on him! That would be cool. As for future Joker roles for Hamill...I dunno. He seemed pretty clear and definitive about his decision this time. I have a feeling they will cast someone who we haven't heard before as the Dark Knight Returns Joker. Besides which, I don't really hear Mark as that Joker. Not saying he couldn't pull it off and be marvellous as usual, I just feel like the voice would be much different.

17. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Crispin Glover might work as DKR Joker.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I know I'm alone on this, but I always found Hamill's Joker to be kind of... grating and annoying on BTAS. His episodes were always my least favorite on the show, and his antics never seemed particularly scary or funny to me.

Frankly it wasn't until Ledger's portrayal that I ever found the character remotely interesting.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I sort of feel the same way. I would have preferred Ledger's Joker in Arkham Asylum, for example. I don't hate the Hamill version, though.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah...that would have been tricky to get Ledger's Joker in the new video game....