NFL Offseason Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 5, 2010.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tonight (Or tomorrow depending on where you are) is the start of free agency, and entering a probable uncapped year, it should get rather interesting. Part of the reason for starting this thread, not just to talk about the goings on in the NFL, especially the Draft, is that I'm a little confused on how this whole thing works, namely a few things: The meaning of the franchise tag, Unrestricted vs. Restricted free agency, and what this uncapped summer might mean with these basics and the possible lock out in the future.

2. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Cromartie to the Jets?!?!?

FUCK.

3. The Great Meech

The Great Meech Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you're fucked. Enjoy that. I will.

Also-Delhomme's released from the Panthers, while Julius Peppers and Chester Taylor are Bears.

Double also--what's everyone think of the draft? More thoughts on that from me when I get time to type tomorrow.

4. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

Ravens just traded fro Anquan Boldin. That's interesting...

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Vince Wilfork resigned with the Pats, 5 years, 40 Mil. Good to have that one finished up

6. pork3

pork3 Commander

You mean this Cromartie???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Though he had that one great year, he's fizzled a bit since then.
    That said, he's a pretty good press corner, and that falls in Ryan's scheme. Can't be any worse than Lito Shepperd...

-Jamman

7. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ :guffaw:

Da Bears spent quite a bit of money. I guess they have to since they traded away this year's draft. Here's hoping they get a Redskins like return on investment :)

8. SmoothieX

Well I hope he plays as badly for the Jets as he did against them.

As a Pats fan, I'm not to keen on watching them play NY. Pats have one receiver with one foot out the door, and another one that's broken. So you'll get a dogging it Moss and some nobody 3rd receiver against 2 solid CBs.

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Those clips are hilarious!

:lol:

My Beloved Rams have the first pick!!

They'd better not blow it.

:scream:

10. The Great Meech

They've narrowed it down to Suh, Gerald McCoy, Clausen, and Bradford. Bradford's probably the best bet for QB--Clausen sounds like a dick, and the St. Louis O-line is passable enough to make life bearable for an injury prone quarterback.

11. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

That series of Cromartie FB images is great.

Bears spent a ton of money after indicating they weren't going to. I know free agency isn't the best place to pick up an offensive lineman but I'll keep parroting it anyway: If you don't fix your Swiss cheese disaster of an O line, you can bring in all-pros at every other position and you'll still get fucking mauled like you did for most of last season, you front office hacks.

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Well, they cut Pace, who was so far past his once great prime last year it wasn't even a little funny. They could still use some help there though.

If these new acquisitions can live up to their potential, and last years' free agent splash can live up to his behind what I can only hope is an improved O-Line, and they can avoid boatloads of injuries it might be a good year. Can't wait to see how much the new blocking TE is in there.

I really can't remember the last great "all around" TE the Bear's had.

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I think we need a QB. We passed on Sanchez last year when we had the chance.

Assuming Bradford can work out and show he's 100%, he'd probably be my pick. We've drafted a million defensive linemen over the past years....

14. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

And yet you keep drafting more. :confused:

In other news, Darrent Williams' killer has been found guilty. Williams was the Broncos player killed on New Year's Day in 2007 following an altercation at a nightclub.

His killer is a gangbanger who's accused of having a witness in another case against him killed. He apparently felt disrespected because the Broncos and their group got into the club while he and his crew had to wait. :rolleyes:

15. The Great Meech

So, Jake Delhomme is a Brown. I suspect Brady Quinn has been screaming hysterically for over an hour now and will begin wandering the country in a van while ceasing to shave any day now.

By the way, am I the only one thinking things look great for the Bills quarterback situation right now? Though they're probably going to try and draft another third rounder and hope he turns out to be awesome by the camp starts, they could get either Quinn or Shaun Hill from the Niners for a badly out of tune song. They need to rebuild their O-line before getting a newbie in front of the Vikings, the Jets (twice), the Ravens, and the Packers.

By the way, I hear the ghosts of Tim Couch and David Carr haunt the stadiums of teams that don't pay attention to their line. Even though neither is dead and one still plays. Maybe I dreamed it. Either way, I read it on Bleacher Report, so you know it's true.

16. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm so very pissed at Denver right now. First they are willing to release Marshall for 6 pennies and a pack of cigarettes. Then they released Andra Davis (who I thought did a pretty good job this season). Now they've given the Browns Hillis and 2 draft picks for Quinn. God, why Hillis? Give them Moreno.... the guy has potential to be scary, but if you even look at him funny, then he's going down for little-to-no yards. The only good things I can say about any of this is if Seattle takes Marshall, we'll get the 6th draft pick (though we can still get so much more out of him... or better yet, keep him!), and also that we should now have something that we can pretend is a backup QB. Buh-bye Simms!!

17. SmoothieX

Never question the wisdom of the vertically striped socks.

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So LT signs a 2 year contract with the Jets. Good for him. He is still at the back end of his career unfortunately, but at least he found a team quickly.

19. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

LT was in Minnesota the day before he talked to the Jets. I guess he wasn't willing to be a third down back and sit on the bench most of the game. The Jets are probably a better fit for him. And with the incentives in the contract, he could end up making a lot more money than he could with the Vikes.

20. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the relative success the Jets saw with Thomas Jones (who was cast off by the Bears), maybe they'll see a similar resurgence with LT.