Trek Art FAQ - Please Read Before Posting

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Capt. James B. Quirk

Capt. James B. Quirk Commodore Commodore

Re: Trek Art FAQ - Rough Draft - Review and Comment

Let's make a sticky post about the explicit use of copyrighted material. What is and what is not......consult your lawyers first. :D

2. LizardLaugh

LizardLaugh Vice Admiral Admiral

RE: free image hosting...

http://www.photobucket.com has free image hosting that allows hotlinking with seemingly no catch... for now. I use them for my avatar and have also used them for a few ebay auctions. I am between web hosts at the moment, and this service has been great... and FREE, though they do give perks if you donate.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Good info!

One thing, however, there still seem to be a lot of the 'dumb' questions that probably need addressing -- just in the interest of saving you time and effort. ;)

4. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

Or dont put pancake sized nippels on it :lol:
    I dont think that having a nude 3D model with the lack of feateurs (I.e. look at a barbie doll) would be bad. On uniform skin color would be accecptable IMHO, but then again Im not a mod.

5. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right off the top of my head, I don't see a problem with nude character models unless they are... ahem, anatomically correct, in which case they ought to be treated the same as any other artistic rendition of nudity. I would be disinclined to allow anything so explicit here in Trek Art.

6. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

Ok and now it time to start splitting hairs. Is all artistic nudity banned or only that which is vulgar? From safteys sake Id say the postion of the BBS would be to ban all nudity. Just wonderin is all

7. Vektor

If this was a generic art forum then the answer to that question might be more ambiguous, but this is a forum dedicated primarily to Trek art, the point being that I just don't see any real, justifiable context for outright nudity being posted here.

8. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

What if its Deanna Troi as she appeared in Menage รก Troi?

Thats trek cannon nudity.

9. Vektor

We're not talking about suggestions of nudity, we're talking about actual, explicit nudity. And if I have to explain what that is then it's already a lost cause. ;)

10. Vektor

Just tacked on a couple new additions to the list for your review and comment.

11. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

Re: Trek Art FAQ - Rough Draft - Review and Commen

1. Can you add something about constructive commentary? I think that people coming in and crapping all over someone else's work is a pretty constant problem. Usually from people who post no work of their own.

On the other hand, some people who don't post their own work might not feel free to comment. Everyone should be encouraged to add their opinions, whether they contribute artwork or not.

2. How about a statement about what media and subjects are acceptable, with some examples? I know that everything Trek is allowed, but some people might think, on the basis of what they see posted, that only 3-D renders of starships or Photoshop pics are okay but that sensitively rendered pencil sketches of crew members, manga-style comics, modified action figures, and Lego sculptures are not.

3. A problem I've noticed is threads breaking down because of arguments about the content/subject of the work rather than the execution. Most of these center around issues of "canon." I remember there was some trouble about what should be left in the tech forum and what is acceptable in the art forum.

4. Finally, I'd like to belatedly second the suggestion of www.photobucket.com as a easy to use free hosting service. This site actually encourages inline images. I use it all the time myself.

12. The_Batman

The_Batman Fleet Captain

I heartily agree with Masao on this one. I know you didn't seem to think there was a huge problem going on in Gustavo's thread, but even if a person isn't going to respond to having their work insulted(vs. criticized), I still think it's wrong and the TBBS/mods should have rules regarding it.

Chris

13. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I'd like to suggest that POV-Ray be added to the list of CGI software available for free download. I've certainly gotten satisfactory results from using it. :)

14. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Do we have an arbitration process in place, or even conceived of, for someone to discuss the inappropriate or uncredited use of his or her artwork? Rather than derailing a thread with a complaint, it might be better to create a dialog in which all parties can be satisfied, and then any rectifying actions can be taken within an 'offending' thread, providing credit or removing images as necessary.

Just a thought ...

15. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

I'd have said that would simply fall under a moderators duties. If you dont put proper credits on artwork you make and someone calls you on it then you're simply in the wrong, no debate necessary. The moderator can then call for it to be amended or removed as appropriate, and can take in to account the past record of the offender. As stated in the FAQ above you have to give credit where it's due, so if you dont you get a moderator getting medieaval on your ass.

16. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. If you can't take five seconds to slap your name on your stuff, you have no one to blame but yourself.

17. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

*Regards the document on his PADD*

Yup... looks like you've got it all together pretty well...

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good idea. You haven't noticed me here much because I just subconsciously have had the idea all these years that "Trek Art is for 3D spaceships." I do a lot of illustrations and animations, usually not Trek-related, but it literally never occured to me that this forum would apply to me.

And I've been at TrekBBS for nearly five years. Amazing, huh? :D

Maybe you just need to lead off with a statement that "TrekArt is for any visual representation related to Star Trek which is substantially your own creative work."

I really don't know if there are a whole lot of people doing Trek art that isn't 3D modelling of vehicles or photo-manipulation via Photoshop (as entertaining as that can be). :D I guess I'll nose around some and see.

19. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

First, I find it disturbing that whenever "art" is brought up on a fan site, "art" is seen as equaling the manipulation of photos on a computer. Not that this isn't a legitimate thing to do... but you'd think there was no such thing as actual drawing or painting. I hope to get some Trek drawings done, you know, with pencil and paper, and i hope to get it on this site eventually. An eye problem will make this very hard, though... and I guess I'm wondering if it will be worth doing this to my eyes, if drawing isn't valued much, and everyone just wants to see computer-generated combining of photographs. Maybe there isn't an audience for what I do.

On the nudity question, the only answer I understood at all was "Don't". That was clear. I agree with the person who said nudity is nudity, something like that. I was straining to understand what it meant for nudity to be okay, if it's not "anatomically correct"... five nipples? The naughty bits growing out of the back? Sorry, my eyes are putting me in hell right now from all this typing, and I may sound a bit harsh and unfriendly as a result... sorry.

Nudity is where you see the naughty bits. Period. If these parts are in any way covered or obscured, then it is not nudity in any way. If the definition is vague, then the rules are utterly confusing.

On CG nude images of Trek actors, this seems really tacky, except possibly if done just for oneself. Once you start posting it, in public, then you join the ranks of those guys with X-rated sites who fake nude photos of celebrities. Some actresses are horrified when they find out this has happened to them.

Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I think of it as different if someone does a real, physical drawing of a Trek character, say, nude. It's obviously not "real" since you can see it's a drawing, not a photo. It's also pretty clear when a drawing has been done with art in mind and not just for the sake of showing that character naked.

I'd like to do some of these sometime. I'd be doing them with a sense of dignity, and they wouldn't come across as vulgar or in any way unflattering. I'd like to think that they could be seen someplace, like here.

20. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not to mention 3-D art being excluded. I'm working on a ceramic interpretation of the Kurlan Naiskos from TNG's "The Chase" and <span class="spoiler"><font class="small">Spoiler:</font><hr /><span>WoDS9 II: Unjoined</span><hr /></span> that I'm planning on posting a photo of when I'm done. I agree that when I think of this forum, it's typically CGI stuff that comes to mind, but there's no reason for that really other than lack of other sorts of posts.