Why was the last episode of DS9 so incredibly awful?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ElimGarak, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Roscoep86

Roscoep86 Cadet Newbie

Wached series when I was younger but don't remember much rewatched on netflix and I like it but not my favorite series last episode Ben should have visited jake as prophet and should have shown wormhole open and close one last time at least when kira and odo went through or like someone said on here when dominion return to gamma quadrant would have been perfect since that's what the whole show was based around the wormhole appearing

2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

This is a zombie topic, can we close it?

Kor likes this.
  3. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yikes, haven't seen a run-on sentence like that since Trump's campaign. Yes, I think closing is a very good idea... necro-thread!

Kor, Prax and Balok's Decoy like this.
  4. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    People can be upset if they wish about Voyager's ending and I understand a few of their reasons why but in the end Voyager's endgame was telegraphed from Caretaker.

As for DS9 I didn't like it that the war ended halfway through the episode it seemed anti-climactic and rather dull. The Dukat stuff wasn't so bad I mean Sisko got to play being Jesus finally.

The montage seemed heartfelt but almost nearly farcical for Worf especially(also Kira and Julian) because Terry Farrell's agent wouldn't let them use stock footage of her throughout the series. I mean come one-Worf was married to her, Kira and her were girl buddies and Julian had a love/be a close friend with her-heck they could have shown the quickening and wishes without horses to illustrate their relationship. Without that it seemed so hollow.

Out of all Trek endings TNG's was the most complex, Enterprise should have ended with Terra Nova, TOS never had a finale, and Voyager's could have been better(I say this as a Voyager fan), and as for DS9 it was good but it could have been a lot better than the final product.

Roscoep86 likes this.
  5. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't say that the entire DS9 finale was awful. I thought the first half of the finale, which featured the end of the Dominion War, was great. As for the second half, I thought it was a bore and anti-climatic.

The "finale" for TNG seemed more like a two-part character study of Picard. And personally, I thought it was one episode too long.

Roscoep86 likes this.
  6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I seem to remember a report about DS9's finale being "awful" on CNN. #FakeNews

Gary7 likes this.
  7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The end of the war was fantastic. The end to the Prophet arc wasn't the best but it wasn't in any way 'Awful'.

Nobody ever really said the finale was awful. Just, there was a conspiracy theory on a news opinion program saying it was awful, the president then tweeted how terrible it was that it was awful, and then CNN ran a story about the president's unsubstantiated claim it was awful, thus giving the claim unwarranted substance.

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Dukat chose evil? I'm sorry, but he was always evil-he's a willful (and willing) dyed-in-the-wool servant of a fascist regime, his being a Pah-Wraith was just the logical icing on the cake/culmination of what he started out as years ago.

Gary7 and Roscoep86 like this.
  9. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

He was less evil for a while :mallory: when he and Sisko were working against Tom Riker, when he and Kira were working together on the captured Klingon ship and rescuing Ziyal and the other prisoners from the Breen.

Hm? This thread got its title somehow...

Roscoep86 likes this.
  10. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed, not seeing Jadzia made the recap fall a bit flat for me too.

I respect her principles, I truly do. It's just a shame there was such a big disagreement between her and the PTB. Including Jadzia in the final recap would have made it a bit more complete for me.

Roscoep86 likes this.
  11. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WYLB was fantastic. I will say that supervillain Dukat is certainly no Gary Mitchell! What can you do, though...
    How is this thread still breathing?

Gary Mitchell and Roscoep86 like this.
  12. Roscoep86

Roscoep86 Cadet Newbie

Haha my fault I finished watching series all the way through recently. I did watch some when I was younger but never all of them so watched it on Netflix and just was wondering what people were thinking about the finale. I just wish they would have closed with wormhole opening and closing one last time perfect ending in my opinion. Close up on wormhole as it closes screen goes black over.

13. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought that, overall it was a satisfactory conclusion. I thought that the showdown between Dukat and Sisko seemed rushed/forced/hammy, but other than that, the only other missed opportunity IMHO was Bajor not being officially admitted to the Federation, which was one of the major things that Sisko, et al have been striving towards for the entire series. I think that the series would have been helped with maybe one more episode to fully decompress from the end of the Dominion War and tie up that one significant loose end (I'm sure it happened at some point off-screen but it would have been nice to see such a momentous occasion- or even mentioned in Nemesis- on screen after it was delayed in S5).

14. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me, the only real fault was using stock footage for the battles. That's it. This is one of the few episodes where a clip show montage actually (mostly )worked -- it was only the length of a song, and it aimed for the warm fuzzies. Obviously we needed more Jadzia.

As far as structure is concerned, the war had to end some time, but I'm glad that it ended where it could, so that the show could have breathing room for what's essentially an hour-long epilogue. But more importantly, Sisko -- who sure as hell isn't the suicidal or much of an idealist -- saw his arc come around full circle, from skeptic of religion, to diving in head first against his adopted planet's greatest evil.

Sure, some of the episode is cheesy, schmaltzy (I like Vic Fontaine singing, but it's clear the writers chose that one song for the line about the wrinkles on Kira's Bajoran nose), but overall, I rank it just behind All Good Things as far as finales go.

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't.

EDIT: Oh look, zombie thread necromancy. I'm out of here. :thumbdown:

Kor

16. GabyBee

GabyBee Captain Captain

There's an inherent trap native to finales in that every viewer has incredibly specific expectations for them, whether they be subliminal or otherwise. I honestly can't remember the last TV finale that wasn't controversial. I mean... How I Met Your Mother's final episode nearly set the internet on fire, yet if you actually pay attention to the entire series, OF COURSE that's how it ended.

I think people tend to expect a finale to always be the best episode of a TV series, which is a pretty unfair standard to set. Finales aren't meant to break new ground. They're supposed to bring us full circle with (usually) the premise of the show that had been introduced in the premiere. And I think in that respect, DS9's finale was well executed in its goals.

Gary7 likes this.
  17. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

Bajor never made it into the Federation...which was the premise of the entire series per the pilot...

18. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

No, the premise of the show, as per Brandon Tartikoff, was a man and his son in space. The mission to Bajor was merely a motivation to their presence in the early seasons, which was then replaced by other motivations.

19. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

Why was Sisko assigned to the station?

20. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

For reasons: anything that would help them fulfill the premise of having Sisko and his son, Rifleman-style, on the interstellar frontier. Bajor's situation was any number of details that could have been changed. DS9 was not necessarily a show about how a planet gains admittance to the Federation.