DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I give you credit Trekker...you've been extremely patient with it :)

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

And, well, I'm not dropping Detective or TDK due to being tired of them but more of needing to "thin out" the books I get. Since I pick up Earth 2, Worlds' Finest and Dial H now I need to cut back somewhere. But, really, "Batman" is the only Batman book that I've really consistently liked.

3. Admiral_Young

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, obviously somebody really needed to double check their stuff before they posted the story.

5. Admiral_Young

So my DC pulls for today are the following:

-Batman #12
    -Batman and Robin #12 (this is actually on the verge of being dropped now)
    -Before Watchmen Ozymandias #2

6. Trekker4747

Batman
    Batgirl

No-DC
    Spider-Men
    Splinter TMNT Micro-Series (LCS finally got it in a month after it came out!)

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I got during lunch break:
    Resurrection Man #12
    Frank/SHADE #12
    Demon Knights #12

Incredible Hulk #12
    Archer & Armstrong #1

8. Admiral_Young

Batman and Robin #12: As expected this issue pretty much sucked. There was a great conversation between Dick and Damian regarding him wearing the R and not having to work so hard to prove himself. The contrast between Dick and Bruce's methods handling Damian is quite the difference. The Robins group shot was awesome as was the final splash page with Batman leaping in the day time after defeating Terminus who attempted to launch a missile, I think Peter Tomasai must've been watching "Superman: The Movie" before writing this issue.

Batman #12: Who is Harper Row? Answer? One of my favourite new characters! This issue is an intermission of sorts prior to next month's zero issue and October's Death of the Family start. We're reintroduced to a character named Harper Row who was shown in the first issue of Snyder's run I believe trying to steal Brownies at a Wayne gala where Bruce was making his better Gotham pitch to investors. Harper is most interesting because as I started thinking...she's perhaps why DC Editorial has had it's position on Stephanie Brown. Is this character meant to be a new version? She also kind of reminded me a bit of Sasha Bordeaux and Barbara Gordon. Someone that became interested and started following Batman around. It was a good issue and Snyder obviously intends on having Row be a big part of his ever evolving and unfolding cast of characters.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Since she was an invited guest, I'm not sure stealing is the right word. ;)

10. Trekker4747

Alfred also kind of let her do it, so... ;)

Batman #12 was fantastic. That's all I can really say, really shows why this is the best of the Bat-Books.

11. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

The latest Batman and Robin just makes me wish even more that the rumored Robins book was actually happening. There's so much potential in that concept. In this last arc, the stuff between the Robins has been great, and the rest of it not so much. I really loved the part where Dick shows exactly why he is and always shall be one of my favorite characters in the DC Universe. I can't help but feel that Bruce is actually doing more damage than help in the way he handles Damian, and their dynamic is nowhere near as good as the one that Damian had with Dick. These two just need to be paired back up again, like Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner need to be paired again (sorry, I'll bring that out any chance I get.)

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Snyder is hinting on twitter that he is replacing Morrison on Action.

13. Trekker4747

It'll be interesting if Harper becomes another Robin. (What happens to Damien? I dunno... Batman sends him to military school to get his ass straightened out or something. Harper seems to me like she'd pretty useful to have.)

14. Admiral_Young

What happens to Damian? Hopefully his own solo series written by Jeff Lemaire! Hey...a fan can dream!

Military school for a kid who's been conditioned and trained by the League of Assassins? No. I'd like to see him be paired back with Nightwing.

I don't see Harper being molded into another Robin. I see her becoming a lot like Sasha (except without the bodyguard role or the romance given Harper's age).

@House of UIster are you talking about his "Sad Superman Sad" post because that's the only Superman reference I could find in the last day or so on his account.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

More like Stephanie/Spoiler or Cassandra/Batgirl.

16. Admiral_Young

Yeah Cas too...that's a better comparison than Sasha. Again though, Harper would seem to be why Stephanie is not being used right now.

17. Nerys Myk

How is Harper like Steph? I only know Steph as a supporting character in the Tim Drake Robin series.

18. Admiral_Young

I didn't say Harper is like Steph...I said that it's possible that her creation is why Stephanie hasn't been around in the 52'Verse. Her curiosity and resourcefulness remind me of Stephanie and of a younger Barbara Gordon when she first became interested in Bruce's exploits as Batman. I believe she will become Bruce's "pet project" in the coming months.

19. Nerys Myk

I dunno. I don't see a character like Harper forcing Steph off the stage. Steph's a full fledged Bat. No shortage those on stage in the DCU. Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman and to a lesser extent Huntress being front and center probably have more to do with Steph and Cass being off stage than than Harper.

Pretty much everyone who catches Batman's eye is curious and resourceful. ;)

20. Admiral_Young

That's true. I still can't explain why DC has made their stance on Steph that it has. Harper's presence just was a possible theory. Steph's not a full fledged Bat though...she was demoted back to Spoiler when the relaunch happened. DC's said so many things about Stephanie which is why fans of hers are so frustrated right now. Anyway as Bruce would say "Enough!!!"

Harper's awesome. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Snyder does with her, and oh the colouring of this issue totally made me think of Scott Pilgrim. Maybe that's why I like Harper so much, she reminds me of Romana :)