Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Ron Asman, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Ron Asman

Ron Asman Ensign Newbie

Did not see a spot to discuss question folks have on technical/operational issues dealing with a fan based studio, so started this thread.

2. Ron Asman

Ron Asman Ensign Newbie

Dose anybody know the dimension of the Enterprise TOS bridge viewing screen? Besides a green screen. Can a rear projection screen with projector be used or a flat screen TV/monitor be used for a live screen??

3. Ron Asman

Ron Asman Ensign Newbie

Dose anybody know how to set up a proper Chroma Key green studio for shots?
    Looking for how smooth the surface of material has to be.
    Blending of corners and to floor.
    How it has to be lighted?
    Dose it have to be one shade of green?
    What is used for floor covering?
    Painting the floor seems to be cheapest way.
    the Rosco Chroma key green dance floor is 1,500 per roll and you need 4 rolls to cover a 40X20 area..

4. Ron Asman

Ron Asman Ensign Newbie

Not for Profit vs For profit;
    I understand fan based groups cannot sell any Star Trek items to pay for production.
    Would like to get a better understanding of what is and is not permitted when operating a fan based studio.
    I have 30 years with not for profit organizations with one of them having a CEO making 6 figures..
    Donations have been way of generating funds to pay for operations.
    Wonder where the hairs are split when raising funds of the fan based studios.

5. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Greenville, Ohio? I spent much of my childhood there. Love the Maid-Rites, the Great Darke County Fair, the city park and Annie Oakley Days! :)

Unfortunately I'm not as knowledgeable about the topics that you're asking about as many other members of this BBS are, so I'll leave responses in their more capable hands.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Hi Ron, afraid I don't have any experience in it either, but you could have put all those questions in your first post. They don't like multiple posts in a row on the board, since it can look like spamming, just for future reference. ;)

And welcome aboard!

7. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Find the "rules of engagement" thread on this forum. It has the rules CBS gave me back in 2012.

8. Ron Asman

Ron Asman Ensign Newbie

Annie Oakley days are running this weekend and Maid Rite is packed and the drive thru is backed up the road..Darke County fair is in three weeks and counting...Good to hear from a local...

9. Ron Asman

Ron Asman Ensign Newbie

thanks for the advice on posting. I am new here and do not know the ins and outs of posting... figured folks could answer each question separately and not put them together, but it looks like my replies to individual postings do not pot directly under the post I am replying to, so it may not matter...

10. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Ron, Melakon is correct: the TrekBBS frowns upon post after post after post after post by the same user. It looks like (well it kinda *is*) spamming. The rule is not more than two in a row. Here's from the FAQ file:

"Do not post more than twice in a row in the same thread. If you need to answer more than one person in the thread, please use the quote function."

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  11. Ron Asman

Ron Asman Ensign Newbie

Like this???

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
  12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

There's a fairly long thread with pointers for and by fan filmmakers called The Fan Filmmaker's Primer (link) which gets into a lot of stuff like inexpensive lighting, basic camera work, greenscreen setups, basic production stuff (like what the Assistant Director does), etc.

Many questions like these are best answered by Googling.

For instance, Google "cheap green screen" and you find stuff like this:
    [yt] [/yt]

Also, start to watch YouTube channels like Film Riot (link) which explain how to do a lot of practical stuff, like...

[yt] [/yt]

Specifically here (link).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Hey, you're giving her credit for something I said. What kind of furshlugginer place are you running here? ;)

14. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

No, not like that. I think the rule is meant to prohibit the same user from posting "more than *twice* in a row in a thread." I don't think it is meant to be construed to prohibit posting once or more times in a row in a thread. I think if a user posts just once "in a row" (?), it's permitted.

P.S. Oops, sorry Melakon. Fixed.

15. Ron Asman

Ron Asman Ensign Newbie

I had someone contact me off group and they made some good points on green screen and wanted to share them. The chroma key green color you use has to be the same or it will not work. There is a green that is used for TV weather reports that is lighter than the studio green so make sure you get the right green screens for the shoot.
    It is better if the corners of the green studio are blended rather then at a 90degree corner to make post production less of a hassle and less costly to fix...
    Lighting the green screen with space lights is best method.
    Care has to be observed for green screen reflecting onto set pieces and people and cause problems and more expense in post production.
    Chroma key flooring is expensive and two solutions is to paint the floor chroma key green and cover until needed or get 2nds in vinyl flooring and paint the back side chroma key green and un roll it when needed.

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The green doesn't HAVE to be exactly the same color, but the bigger the variance in hue and brightness the broader the keying color settings have to be, potentially making it harder to pull a clean matte.

You need to get the green lit as evenly as possible and minimize shaodws and hot spots, as there is less color information in the light and dark extremes and, again, it's harder to pull a clean matte.

Cover or flag whatever green you can that isn't in shot to minimize bounce. If you see green bounce, try to figure out from what direction it's coming and try to use a flag to kill the reflection.

Cover any greenscreen on the floor unless it is in shot, again, to avoid bounce.

Have a big enough greenscreen so that your actors are far enough away from it to allow them to be lit separately of the screen (and, once more, to avoid bounce).

Avoid having actors in colors which have a lot of green in them, like teal or yellow-green.

You can use any color screen to pull a matte, but green is preferable in digital video because
    • green is more reflective than blue, then it takes less light to get a useable green backing than blue
    • the information in the green channel of a video signal is typically the sharpest, thus produces the cleanest mattes