Interstellar trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

So it's Stargate.

Good to know.

2. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I saw the trailer before The Hobbit ... and it was just way too vague to capture any interest. It was only when I saw Nolan's name attached to it that I thought, "this has potential." If only because he's due for a rebound following the disappointment that was TDKR.

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I can't have been the only person who was reminded of this, right?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZFWr0vR8Q[/yt]

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I heard McConaughey travels back in time and fixes a mistake in his life but creates a paradox instead.

5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It has Jessica Chastain in it. I'm in.

6. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

But you repeat yourself*. ;)

(*DISCLAIMER: Joke about American jingoism only. I do not literally believe that Chinese are the same thing as Aliens.)

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Some Chinese are considered Illegal Aliens though.

8. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

At least it's not as confusing as the first trailer of inception. I was sitting in the theatre trying to wrap my brain around it but then i saw the movie and it was all good.

Being Nolan i have high hopes for another masterpiece and i'm at the stage where i see a movie from him no questions asked which is rare for me.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I just love the music. If that's a preview of what Zimmer's got in store for the rest of the movie then I can't wait.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a movie with a trailer set in America, about an American, in a trailer for American audiences shown at American cinemas.

But the director is British?

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

No, it's a teaser, they only have to make you aware it's out there. The full trailer will do the rest. Example: The ST09 teaser was awesome, but you knew nothing about the movie:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--vmdNTPTHs[/yt]

RAMA

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have they announced yet when we're getting the full trailer?

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It's currently showing with Hubble 3D at the Air & Space Museum's Lockheed Martin IMAX theater at the Smithsonian. It'll be attached to Godzilla nationwide.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first full trailer is slated to be attached with "Godzilla" this weekend and expected to be online this week as well.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. I thought I remembered hearing something about it, but I wasn't sure.

16. Talosian

Talosian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8kBDC7JDxk[/yt]

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Nothing in the solar system? Must be a hell of a problem.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Mixed feelings about the science. The bit about running out of food rather than electronics doesn't quite ring true; if we don't start mining the Moon and asteroids within the next couple of decades, we're going to run out of rare elements essential to modern electronics, including various rare-earth metals and helium. Yes, helium, which is vital for cooling in various high-tech manufacturing processes, which is becoming dangerous scarce, and which the US is totally squandering due to an outdated policy requiring it to sell off its entire helium reserve at a time when helium should be treated as something more precious than gold. Rare earths might be recoverable from landfills, from all the electronic junk we keep throwing away, but once the helium is gone from the planet, it's going to be very, very hard to get more, unless we go to space where it's abundant.

Also, "Nothing in our solar system can help us?" The resources waiting for us out in the asteroids and outer moons and so on are immensely more abundant than the resources we have here on Earth, and that includes water and organic compounds. Using the resources of the Solar System could make our species rich beyond what anyone today can comprehend.

But that wormhole made me very, very happy. Clearly this is where Kip Thorne's input came into play. Finally, we get to see a movie that portrays a wormhole properly, as a spherical warp in space (a 3D entry to a 4D passage) that you could see through to the other side, rather than some kind of funnel of swirly light.

You might be interested to know that "alien" originally meant "foreigner," and technically still does -- as in the legal terms "enemy alien" or "illegal alien." Literally it just means "belonging to another." It didn't take on the science-fiction connotation of "extraterrestrial" until the early 20th century, and that was mainly in prose SF; the general public didn't begin using it that way until the 1960s or so. Before then, movies or cartoons or the like about extraterrestrials would instead use terms like "men from Mars" or "spacemen" or "creatures from another world."

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Pretty much the only thing I can think of that would qualify for "nothing in the solar system can help us" is the sun going nova or maybe a black hole approaching.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But it sounds like it's more just about overpopulation, resource depletion, all that Soylent Green stuff.