Cowboys & Aliens: Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 29, 2011.

?

How do you grade Cowboys & Aliens?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2012.
  1. A

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  2. B

26 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. C

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. D

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. F

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

No, $174m for a $163m budget is not a profit. You need to add Marketing costs onto the $163m, which is generally believed to be about 50%, I believe. Therefore, the cost would be $163m + 80m +/-

Also, International Box Office is a much smaller take for the Studio than Domestic, so you need to deduct from the $174m, a percentage of the Foreign portion.

2. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Studios don't get all the money from the Domestic Box Office either. I don't know the percentages (and they vary from film to film) but they get the biggest part of the first few weeks and then increasingly smaller ones (which means the studios actually want the films to be frontloaded at the box office, because that's when they get the most money). The rule of thumb I've heard most often is that studios get 50-55% of the Domestic Box Office.

3. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Studios typically will find a distributor. Many times the distributor is a subsidiary of the studio, but sometimes not. The distributor will pay the studio a flat fee plus a percentage of the box office. The distributor then places the film in theaters, and charges them a flat fee and/or a piece of the box office. The studio never gets the full box office, but the fee they collect for the film to be in theaters should help cover the cost. Studios are more concerned with how many theaters the film shows in, and how long it runs. That shows how much they make more than box office.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Gave it a "C-", very uneven. Not the best acting I've ever seen. Non-sensical plot drivel: Aliens who can travel interstellar distances, who are hyper-intelligent, act like animals and try to chew their enemies in the 19th century, when they have frickin' laser beams and air superiority.

RAMA

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

On average, studios (acting as the distributor) take 50-60% of domestic grosses and 40% of foreign grosses. Exhibitors (the theaters) take the rest. And, importantly, those percentages don't account for the cost of advertising.

At least, those were the numbers as far as Jay Epstein crunched them back in 2005.

So, no, Cowboys & Aliens (which I haven't seen) won't be making a profit, at least based on theatrical box office. It will probably get closer to breaking even based upon home video sales/rentals and, very importantly, television sales.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yahoo! Entertainment has placed Cowboys and Aliens on it's list of Turkey films of the year.
    It's a shame to cause this movie really was fun and enjoyable unlike some of the others on the list that I saw and would rank as mediocre.

7. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Oh yes, if you think this film is one of the worst of the year - you simply have not watched many films this year.

I really enjoyed C&A.

8. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I saw it on DVD this week. Grade D.
    I felt for a Hollywood big budget scifi action movie it should have had a simple story. The story just was not there.

Technically it was great. Western vistas, cinematography, VFX, explosions, gunshots.

Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford and Olivia Wilde were all great in their roles. Paul Dano was pretty weak in his drunken son role.
    Adam Beach was good and touching at times.
    I never even knew it was Sam Rockwell playing the doctor. He disappeared behind that beard.

I cannot recommend this movie to anyone.
    A $163 million budget movie and no I will not recommend it.
    I still am shocked it was greenlit unless it looked better on paper somehow. It was the story that was lacking.
    Maybe it was the directing of Favreau?

I enjoyed the last act of the film for its action.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think the direction was fine, but yeah, the story was definitely lacking. A story about cowboys fighting aliens just had the potential to be so much more exciting and scary.

10. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

For me, the aliens weren't believable, and this is one of the reasons the film didn't work for me.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just watched this for the first and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but I thought it was a very fun, well acted, well directed, and well written alien invasion movie. I can't vote in poll, but if I could I would give it an A. Does anyone know if the novelization was any good?

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I caught this on PPV a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty good. If there was a flaw it was that it could have used a little more humor, ala "Iron Man."

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read the graphic novel a few months ago. Completely different story than the movie with no similarities whatsoever. But really fucking cool. Although I enjoyed the movie, the graphic novel is probably better. Though I doubt the movie would have done any better in the box office if it were a straight adaption.

15. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

Watched it last week and really liked it. Ford, Craig and Wilde were good. It had been a while since I'd seen the Kurgan in a film. I always enjoyed his work.

All-in-all, just a fun, action movie.

16. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    I found it much better the second time around.