How desperate are you for a new Trek TV series?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jedi_Master, Mar 3, 2014.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh, I'd watch one if it were on of course, but I don't consider a new Trek series to be a priority. To be honest, at the moment, I'd just like new programming in general. The new season of Doctor Who is still over five months away, Defiance three months. I watch The Walking Dead when the season gets its DVD release, so that won't be until the summer probably. Hell, there aren't even any movies for me to see in March. If it weren't for Pawn Stars, I wouldn't even have a reason to turn my TV on at the moment.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Not desperate, but I think we'll see a new series within the time I predicted.. Which roughly coincides with the 50tj anniversary.

I would love to see a new show with a mix of old themes and modern sensibilities.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

BABYLON 5 REBOOT!!

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Dorothy told me to warn you of what happened when Rose posted the Personal Ad that Dorothy would do ANYTHING (For $8.00 an hour)

5. Sindatur

But, of course. (But DS9, Farscape mostly, and one or two others, also qualify :alienblush:)

...And JMS was ready to do it, but, WB (Or the Online Provider) backed out before the deal was signed

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

if every four years we could have either ...

1) A single two hour movie.
    2) Approximately eighty to one hundred TV episodes.

I would select the second option, were it available.

I have my wish list of what I want in a new series too, but that new series can not meet, exceed or fall short of my expectations if there's no new series in the first place.

I definitely crave a new series.

:)

7. teacake

I want edgy, sexier new Trek series. Darker, faster, funnier.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't that the opening to "The Six Million Dollar Man?"

:)

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't remember anyone named ... "Dorothy." Dot ... Dot, honey ... reveal yourself!

10. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Why "SHOULD" anyone in 2014 invest in a TV series and re-use the same mediocre concepts and stories that got Trek cancelled nearly 9 years ago?!

The level of self-indulgence and delusion boggles the mind here!

11. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't mind seeing DS9 itself pick up where it left off, with some new characters, obviously.

But I am not so desperate that I would want to see ANYTHING remotely connected to Abrams/nuTrek.

Another possibility that strikes me as fun would be to set a new series in the future, with effectively warp 10+/transwarp drive and common (or at least more common) extragalactic travel.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hah. I'm in the opposite situation. I can barely keep up with all the good returning shows: The Americans, Bates Motel, Hannibal, Vikings, etc.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see how it really matters if a series set post-TOS era references the Kirk who fought the Gorn or the Kirk who fought Nero. It doesn't really matter, if all it's going to be is the odd mention.

Expecting a new show to continue the tone and style of TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT is wishful thinking. Television has moved on.

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Well aren't you special.

As much as it pains me to deprive you of an opportunity to feel like you're better than people, they should invest because it's a valuable franchise that will get people to check it out just by having its name. And the idea is that it wouldn't reuse the same mediocre concepts and stories, it would come up with new, well written stories with a fresh, modernized take on the same established universe. Nobody wants another TNG rehash like Voyager. They just want Star Trek to keep what makes it special instead of becoming just another popcorn action flick.

15. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

H5 on The Americans! Also The Following and Justified.

16. Sindatur

Golden Girls Episode :alienblush:

17. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Not at all. I'm sick of remakes and reboots (and not just pertaining to Trek). Give me something original.

18. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not at all. If it is Trek-like in the way I like, great. If just action-adventure, nope. YMMV.

19. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

I agree. Moving forward is the way to go. A 25th century TNG/DS9 hybrid (with nuBSG production values) would be ideal!
    Make it a big Colony-ship to the Beta-quadrant or something to avoid Canon. Sort of like a moving DS9/Babylon-5.

Prequels and reboots? Meh. No thanks.

20. teacake

I don't care about the timeline, sure I could come up with preferences but I just want modern feeling good tv Trek set in the Trek universe :)