The Dresden Files Short Story placement

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Oct 18, 2010.

1. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

Well, for those of us who speak English without gratuitous "U"s it fit the pattern.;)

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, I didn't know he's said it multiple times, so up till now I thought it was just a rumor. :p

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Nope, he's said it on the Butcher Block podcasts too. Along with the fact there'll be about 20 or more case files before the trilogy.

4. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20ish now.

Originally it was 20 books, but at the time, Changes was Book 10, so he's already 2 over where he thought he'd be.

Now he's saying it'll be 20-22, etc.

5. Bob The Skutter

Yeah, I remember him saying "I've got kids to put through college" as the reason for the change. :lol:

6. Technobuilder

Actually, very recently, he's made mention of his son stating a desire to go to medical school, so... The Codex Alera: Book 7 is more of a very real possibility. (as he made mention of it to help pay the costs)

My current major Dresden Theory is kind of out there, but based around something Jim said at a book signing.

Harry will end up "breaking" the Law of Magic regarding swimming against the currents of time by having to be his own back up and support team from many of his previous adventures throughout the series. Kind of a "Clue: But here's what actually happened" moment.

The first person perspective of the series lends itself amazingly to the concept, but I never gave it much though until Jim stated that Harry would be bending/breaking that Law at some point.

7. Bob The Skutter

Do you not think it's more likely that rule will be broken to fix what happened at the end of Changes? Though you are right about the first person perspective working well for us to see things from a different angle and find out things we never knew.

8. Technobuilder

Fix what exactly?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If you haven't read Changes yet, you really, really don't want to be spoiled on the ending.

10. Technobuilder

Lots of things transpired at the end of Changes Christopher.
    I was just asking for a clarification. (I appreciate you trying to protect the uninformed, but when it comes to Dresden Files, I've probably already read it twice.)

I'm not sure anything really needs fixing myself. Considering Odin's offering of food and drink, not to mention Mab's rather sizable investment. As Lash said, some things you can only understand by... well you know. Anyway Uriel probably did something special that no one even yet suspects.

11. Bob The Skutter

I mean to make him alive again, whether Mab has the power to change it or not Dresden is dead, hence the title of the next book, if he has to make changes events order to to change his death and be alive again, whether it's through Mab's power or his own he will still be changing time and it will be against the law presumably either way. Though I'm doubting that given the synopsis of Ghost Story, it seems it will be more about him finding out who his killer is and resolving his death but you never know.

12. Technobuilder

^^Okay, that's what I initially thought you meant, but then I started thinking about the missing time in Chichen Itza after the kaboom of doom goes off and wasn't sure if you were talking about that. (one of the story points I've picked out that might involve some time travel)

also....

Sad News to report:
    Ghost Story's release date has been pushed back to the end of July (July 26th) instead of of the end of March/beginning of April.

It was announced this weekend at MarsCon:
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKCc5tTpppM (Part 1 of 7)

Upside, this is his first delay ever, and it's only 3-4 months.
    Also, Jim announced the title for the next Dresden Files - Book 14: Winter Knight.