F1 2012 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by MacLeod, Dec 12, 2011.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Happy for Williams to win, well done to Maldonando. Lewis drove a grerat race to finish 8th. And more importantly ahead of his team mate who started ahead of him on the grid. Lewis clearly showed he could manage his tyres whilst still overtaking.

though I still think they aren't being consistant in applying the regulations. We have seen several cars stop on the start finish straight this year after the chequered flag for fuel reasons. So as they weren't apply to make it back to parc ferme under their own power. They should have been excluded from the race. If rules are broken it is right the team/driver should be penalised, they just need to make sure that they are seen to be consistant in this.

Anyone expecting Schmacher to get a penalty after causing an avoidable accident?

2. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It doesn't apply to the race, only Q3, so it's the rules themselves that are inconsistent, not the application of them.

Also, I'm pretty sure I read earlier that Schumacher got a five place grid drop for Monaco due to his tangle with Senna.

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't really see the problem with Hamilton getting punished versus people not getting punished after races.

There can always be outside factors (or miscalculations) leading to a fuel shortage in a 300+ km race, but not having enough fuel for 3 rounds is either extremely stupid or risking too much to get the pole.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yep a 5 place grid drop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18053192

Which is what I expected, couldn't have happened at a worse track though for Schmacher.

Well then I think the rules should be changed to something along the lines

Unless the car suffers from a mechanical/electrical breakdown on the in lap, it must return to parc ferme under it's own power and provide a 1ltr fuel sample.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

A few kilos light on fuel would add upto far more time over a 200+ mile race, than a few kilos light over a single lap.

6. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gotta feel bad, not only for the poor guy who has been burned in the Williams fire, but also for Maldonado for having his first F1 victory overshadowed by an accident in the garage.

Lets hope the guy is not injured too badly, and that Williams can get past this and remain competitive this season.

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

anyone else getting an early 80's kinda vibe about this year due to randomness?

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

At least no one was killed in the fire, though I think the FIA has to look at a few things

1.>Why did the Fire equipment take so long to arrive. Given that in theroy a car could catch fire fire equipment would arrive quicker than they did. What was it 15 minutes?

2.>Why don't the garages have a sprinkler system.

Positives to take however is that the teams managed to get the fire under control using their equipment. McLaren have offered Williams any support they need to get ready for the Monaco GP. Surely these kind of actions show a certain level of comraderie amongest the teams.

But getting back to the race, even with evrything seemingly going wrong fore Lewis, he is still third and only 8 points behind the leaders. Despite not winning a race. But then again he has constantly scored (thus far).

9. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They wouldn't be able to use water sprinklers, as a false alarm would cause millions of pounds worth of damage, and gas systems wouldn't be very effective in an open garage (evacuating and sealing the garages on a timer could be risky). They just need to have a greater fire fighter presence on site really.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Better some equipment gets ruined than someone loses their life. Besides only the sprinkler system in the garage affected by fire would activated. If the fire spread to another garage that sprinkler system would activate.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The fuel sampling reulation from the 2012 Technical regulations

6.6.2 Competitors must ensure that a one litre sample of fuel may be taken from the car at any time during the Event.

Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the stewards of the meeting), if a sample of fuel is required after a practice session the car concerned must have first been driven back to the pits under its own power.

So if a car has to get back to the pits under it's own power to provide a fuel sample in practice and qualifing. The same should hold true of the race itself.

I don't think anyone has said McLaren shouldn't have been punished. But perhaps a fairer punishment would have been to exclude the Q3 times.

12. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

What a surprise win,didnt think maldonado could stay in the 5,it good to see a williams back on the top step on the podium.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Williams will be one of those teams that people don't mind winning. As in if my favourite team can't win, I don't mind them winning as opposed to one of Ferrari/McLaren/Red Bull etc..

14. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

What a surprise,schumacher on pole at monaco,but got a 5 grid penalty from tghe last race.he be starting sixth instead of on pole.

15. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that was one boring, boring, boring race. Yawn. Next stop - Canada! I love the Montreal circuit. Thrills and spills aplenty!

16. Pingfah

Is there no end to Schumacher's woes this season? It's starting to depress me.

At least Mercedes are sounding a bit more positive about keeping him on next year.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well from a PR point of view it makes sense to talk up keeping Schmancher. Though do you go for an older expericanced driver or a younger driver.

So far as we can tell at the moment there is one seat available in each of the top teams. McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes.

You have to say that at least one of them will be taken my Lewis no doubt McLaren but possibly Red Bull. Webber will no doubt take up another of those.

The big question is over the Ferrari seat, with drivers like di Resta and Perez being linked to it.

But onto Canada, which can be a good race.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

In latest news the Red Bull cars have been deemed to have an illegal part on them, and have to change it for the Candian GP. It has to do with holes on the floor of the car.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18310767

As this car configutation ran at several GP's and seems to constitute a technical infringment of the rules. And according to the Spanish GP a technical rules infringement requires disqualification shouldn't the points accumulated by Red Bull at previous GP's be removed from at least the constructor?

In the interests of applying the rules fairly. And we have had a rules clarifcation applied retroactively at the Belgium GP in 2007 when Lewis obeyed the rules by yielding a position back he had taken by short cutting a corner. Only to have 30 seconds added to his time at the end of the race becuase he hadn't waited till after one corner (which wasn't in the rules prior to this)

19. Pingfah

Today's race was surely the best race of the year.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral