Why was Kes written off the show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Kooz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I love her voice! :adore:

As for "sickly sweet", I have to disagree. She's nice and friendly, yes. But also very strong, willed and determined. I always found her a great contrast and complement to Janeway and Torres. She can win arguments and get her way by simply moving around the obstacle and attack it from another alngle.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Give me Janeway's "I'm smoking a packet of cigarettes right now before I vaporize your chest with this phaser rifle" voice any day for sexy.

I do think Kes is less sickly sweet than she appears initially. Her voice did her character a disservice.

3. teacake

And I would like to take a moment to welcome Miss Chicken to this thread, I don't believe I have ever seen her at these lofty heights before. Usually she is a confirmed bottom dweller.

Miss Chicken "you truly belong here with us, among the clouds."

4. Lynx

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Miss Chicken has been here as long as I have. We have had some interesting debates during the years. ;)

However, I haven't seen her post that much in the recent time so: Welcome back!

5. teacake

Oh she's here, she's just down below.

:: wriggles eyebrow ::

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

+1

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    [​IMG]

8. spot_loves_data

spot_loves_data Captain Captain

^ I have no idea what that means. A dino crushing a beer can... :wtf:

9. smarine

smarine Ensign Newbie

What utter rubbish, come now MIss chicken.

Tell us how you really feel ;)

I smell a ton of rotting jealousy coming off of you, and its not very appealing.

I've talked to many trek fans, and never has anyone said such strange things, but I guess it takes all kinds, and all kinds of opinions.

I may not have felt her acting was always spot on, but she did an amazing job for the most part, her voice did not annoy me on any level, and she was not sickening sweet. I think you missed a few episodes !

cu
    smarine

10. smarine

smarine Ensign Newbie

Makes comments about no welcome mat offering...sulks and
    slips into warp drive and sneaks into the next sector of of space looking for friends...

smarine (sniff)

11. smarine

smarine Ensign Newbie

Her voice did no such thing.

IT lended itself to confidence, intelligence and a willingness to work with her 'team'.

I don't know what show you were watching, but it wasn't what I was watching.

Maybe you missed a few episodes too ;)

smarine
    (still sniffing)

12. Lynx

smarine, since you seem to be a Kes fan, you deserve a special welcome from Lynx.

Welcome to the forum!:beer:

13. smarine

smarine Ensign Newbie

hi there Lynx and thx ;),

I am a complete trek fan of all the series, though Voyager is my favorite. I love all character interactions, and given the plot progression of entire voyager series, I can't imagine the scripts being much better. I think they nailed all of it perfect.

I enjoyed Kes's character a great deal because she was very logical, yet emotional about her past, and looked forward to her future with the crew. It was sad to see her go,but heck if she wasn't entirely happy doing it, then thats that. I truly felt she gave it her best on the way out, and left the opening for 7 to make a grandiose entry.

I know about teamwork, and just as the other shows in the trek universe, I was sad to see this one go too, but in the end no matter how much they all prob. enjoyed it, it was time to move on.

I wonder how they would have felt about more Seasons if the network had picked it up again, and do we actually know if it was pure ratings alone that left us with 7 seasons, albeit amazing ones ? ;))

I also wish somebody would make a 'real' trek universe as relates to gaming. I get the whole fps craze lately, but gez it was always way more than that to me, and Im sure most others as well; to boldly go where no one has gone before..its not just about phaser fire afterall ,,I want to meet alien cultures, and go exploring their worlds with them in peace, not exploitation or war ;)),,,

cu
    smarine

14. teacake

These things are called opinions. I've never liked that kind of voice even IRL, just like some never like Janeway's hoarser voice. When I hear a grown woman talking in a sweet sweet voice it makes me a. suspicious and b. irritated. I don't think Kes was being fake (unlike some people with this voice) but I do think it does her supposed strong character a huge disservice.

15. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I didn't mind Jennifer Lien's voice that much in American History X but her voice in Voyager was unbearable to me. The only other actress I would put into the same league of voices I couldn't stand would by Amanda Burton from the British forensic show, Silent Witness, so much so that I won't look at the first 8 years of that show (when AB was thr star).

I watch every single episode of Voyager and Kes was the major character I disliked the most, not just on Voyager, but on the whole of Trek.

However I was Trekked Out years ago and now I only visit a couple of the Trek forums occasionally when I am bored. Too many other programmes have come along since Trek ended for it to hold my interest much any more.

If I am in the Voyager forum it is usually either in a thread on Kes leaving the show or that Tuvix episode as I have strong opinions on both topics.

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Talk about rubbish.

If Miss Chicken's reasons for disliking Kes is jealousy, then thousands of folks must be jealous of Fran Dresher or Rosie Perez. "Friends" cast Kathline Turner as a man due to her raspy throaty voice like Jen Lien's. That was the joke, that a voice such as that can sound sexy to some and manly to others.

17. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mmmmm, wow. No show on TV is perfect, certainly not Voyager....enjoyable yes but there were tons of problems with this show. I get the impression you're easily pleased and imperssed.

She didn't leave of her own volition.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Ira though about hiring her for DS9?

Just have her wondering the station introducing herself but never quite explaining her connection to Voyager.

19. teacake

Bashir would have definitely hit on her. And Kira would have wanted to hit her too but not in the same way.

20. Lynx

Kes in DS9? Why not?

Instead of coming up with that silly story in "The Gift", they could have found a way to transport her to DS9 instead.

I don't think that Kes and Kira would have had a hostile relationship. In fact, they did cooperate in one of my stories! :techman: