How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ian Keldon, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I was watching a documentary about the warcrimes and atrocities of the regular (that is, non SS) divisions of the Wehrmacht in World War II and it just hit me. These are the same type of people that would have made up the Imperial Army in the Star Wars universe. Fanatical, genocidal fascists who enslaved entire worlds, destroyed entire races at the command of their evil Sith Emperor.

The Nazi version of Stormtroopers (the SS) were the worst of the whole evil organization. They were responsible for, among other atrocities, the operation of the death camps.

So why would any person with a functioning soul want to be a fan of the Star Wars universe equivalent? The organized SW Imperial fandom, the 501st, explicitly takes it's name from the most infamous of all stormtrooper divisions, being the one that prosecuted the genocide against the Jedi.

It makes me sick in the heart now to see stormtrooper fans parading around in their SW Nazi uniforms and acting like there's nothing wrong with it.

In real life, if someone wanted to start a fanclub for the
    SS-Totenkopfverbände (the "Death's Head" Division, responsible for carrying out the Final Solution), we'd call them at best ignorant.

Next time you see one of these fools at a con, ask them if they really understand the statement they are making by parading around as Space Nazis.

2. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. IT'S STAR WARS

2. People (including myself) portray the Confederacy in reenactments/living history events in the US to educate the public, who are guilty of very similar war crimes, but do so out of respect for all involved. I do admit that in Southwestern PA, most of them agree with their side, or have a severely warped version of it.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. It's a fantasy universe. The OP might as well be taking people to task for dressing up as Darth Vader or any other fictional villain.

4. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The stormtroopers have cool outfits, just like the Nazis. If you want people to be fans of the good guys, give them better uniforms.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ditto.

The OP makes no sense.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, people go to Cons dressed as Daleks,Cybermen, The Master, Darth Vader, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians. Why is a Storm Trooper any different?

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

:brickwall:

This is easily the most ignorant thing I've read in my eleven years posting on this board... and that's saying something.

x2

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  8. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

The Nazis were the best dressed group of people in history.

Hugo Boss was the boss.

9. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a stormtrooper Mr. Potato Head. Does that make me evil?

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    No. That makes you frickin' awesome.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

My screen name on here is usually sidious618 so if we follow the OP's logic I am clearly a huge supporter of Hitler since Sidious is the leader of the Stormtroopers.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go grow a one inch mustache.

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Everyone be nice to sidious or he'll zap you with the lightning bolts he can shoot from his fingertips. He's an evil bastard who eats kittens.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread must be a Godwin singularity.

Either you are trolling or have serious problems with separating reality from fiction.

And then, maybe those guys don't dress up as Stormtroopers. They dress up as Han Solo and Luke Skywalker pretending to be Stormtroopers. How about that?

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And I thought SW was fantasy. Most peopel can differenitate between the fantasy stormtroppers of the SW universe and the Nazi S.S.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only thing I hate about the Stormtroopers is the thought that they're all clones. I'm much happier with the notion that by the time of ANH, they were all just hapless recruits from various parts of the galaxy.

I never thought of them as evil so much as just clueless, or maybe they needed the paycheck, ever think of that?!? Even Luke talked about applying to the Imperial Academy, it being the only game in town.

And people who give themselves usernames based on science fiction villains are clearly depraved and should be banned.

;)

16. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

All the stormtroopers they worship belonged to Pelly's Empire and the Felpire. They just don't know it.

17. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. IIRC, most of the veteran Clone Troopers who remain (i.e. those created from Jango Fett) are thoroughly disgusted at the "new guys" whom they view as incompetent. This is supported by what we actually see in the OT - the Storm Troopers are portrayed as almost comically inept.

19. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Too much font, not enough sexy.

20. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I am simply amazed (and not in a good way) how cavalier you all are being. Lucas explicitly modeled the Imperial Forces after a cartoonized version of Nazism.

The 501st in the SW universe was the spearhead division in Palpatine/Sidious' Final Solution to the Jedi.

"It's just fiction" is no excuse. The Empire is evil. People with functioning consciences are not fans of evil.