Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

By having some guys do it.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Fit woman in her twenties vs Trek fan in his 50s? I might go with the woman. The woman factor alone might be enough to stop a Trek fan in his tracks. ;)

3. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

Um, no. Whether you are looking to tone or bulk up, the thing that really matters is nutrition. Muscles aren't made in the gym, they are made in the kitchen. To bulk up, you need a certain number of daily calories and that number is different for every person because, genetics. If you are a hardgainer (and I guess she is one - she's a model after all), it will be... well, hard to put on a certain amount of mass. It's not impossible, but it's hard and it's even harder to women due to their natural hormones. And it's certainly not going to help, if you have just a few months to make a significant transormation - and if you are expected to still look "lean" in the end. I'm not saying it's impossible. To give the part of wonder woman to the smallest girl in the area is, however... ambitious.

That being said, she certainly has the right face for it. :)
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for her :)

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

They have personal trainers out there that specialize in bulking up stars for roles. I think they'll do fine with her.

5. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes: Stop being ridiculous.

Here's Jaimie Alexander:

[​IMG]

And here's Gal Gadot:

[​IMG]

Not really seeing this massive difference, and I wanted Alexander to get it (based on Sif) before Gadot's casting was announced

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

She's still bigger than Gadot, and she looks like she could get bigger, Gadot just doesn't look like she's built for adding any mass at all. Plus, Alexander is almost certainly a better actress than Gadot, so really whatever category you're talking about she is about 1000 times more qualified than Gadot to play Wonder Woman.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Seriously. I am really puzzled how people are failing to understand this very simple concept.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I guess I'm skeptical after so many years of seeing girls as twigs in sci-fi laying a beating on some huge guy. Kira Nerys in DS9 springs to mind, but there were a lot of others. I never bought it and it just looked unbelievable.

Lucy Lawless as Xena was convincing enough because she looked fit and had some bulk to her (in a rather pleasant way). Mariska Hargitay (mentioned above) is another woman who suits her role. Those two, to me, are the best examples I recall of a woman actually looking like she could take care of herself.

I'm not saying Gal Gadot can't be gotten into convincing shape, but I will have to see it to believe it.

9. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I posted this before.
    If men can change their bodies enough to be convincing in a role. Why can't women?

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Kestrel and AllStarEnterprise just settled this discussion as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who's still trying to argue that Gadot is physically unsuitable for the role after seeing their respective posts is not in the real world.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How big exactly are you expecting her to get? Most martial artists and stunt people, who are probably the closes to a real world image of a superhero really aren't very big at all.
    Dayna Chiplin (Legend of the Seeker, Underworld, Spartacus)
    Alisa Hensley (Chuck)
    Chloe Bruce (Thor: TDW, Kick-Ass 2, World War Z)
    Jessie Graff
    (Sons of Anarchy, Leverage, X-Men First Class, Castle)

Neither are gymnists:
    Simone Biles (All Around Gold Medalist - 2013 Wolrd Championships)
    Kyla Ross (All Around Silver Medalist - 2013 World Championships)

So she really doesn't need to get that much bigger if she wants to be able to fit in with these kinds of athletes.

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Been checking this thread on and off and by this point it's clearly personal bias and the worst cliché non-genre people have about SF fans.

She will never look like a female Wrestler, she will never have huge comicbook female superhero boobs without tricks and she will never satisfy people who have other preferences or wanted another actress to get the job because they already have made up their mind to hate her no matter what.

She will of course bulk up for the role, the production team will provide everything needed for that and she has enough time to do so but the goal is apparently not to have a kind of She Hulk for the movie. It depends on the story and her role in it and we have not seen a single frame of her her final body image ready to be filmed.

But it's nice to see so much nerd rage and intolerance when it comes to such trivial things :lol:

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Agreed. I can understand casting not matching a preconception (see: Ben Affleck). But I also had reservations about Heath Ledger as The Joker - and damn were those reservations wrong. So it's best to reserve judgment until the film (for both Affleck and Gadot).

Still, I'm concerned with the use of terms like, "very wimpy looking" and "little twig". I get that she may not match a preconceived image of WW. But why be so negatively judgmental of a woman's physical appearance? That doesn't seem very constructive to me.

14. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It's pretty obnoxious really. Granted it's not the usual "SHARP KNEES!" stuff, or "Well she doesn't look like Wonder Woman but I'd fuck her!" but there's no call for it.

Okay then, I can see there's no reasoning here. :lol:

Thanks.

15. kirk55555

I don't want to argue anymore. Like I've said several times, it wouldn't even really matter if she looked like a suitable choice for WW. She's still in a Goyer movie, and even in the few good Goyer movies I've seen (Blade 1 & 2 were pretty good, and Trinity is ok) there was maybe one good female character (Biel's character in Trinity, was ok). There were none in the Batman Trilogy or MoS (some people would argue Lois was good, I'd say that I think Amy Adams may be a decent actress but she had nothing to work with, at least in trying to be Lois Lane). WW also doesn't seem to be a character they care about, she seems just randomly stuck in to try to kickstart a JL movie.

Gadot's biggest role (from F&F, obviously) seemed to be a glorified extra that was about as blatant eye candy as you can get, so I'm doubtful of her having acting ability even if Goyer wrote a good WW. We're obviously going to disagree. She has everything from physical build to acting ability against her in my opinion, plus playing the role in a movie written by a guy who couldn't write a good DC superhero if you put a gun to his head. Outside of Michael Bay directing the movie, she couldn't have more against her odds of being anywhere close to a decent WW. Not that she'd have any chance of being more than mediocre even with the best writer and director ever working on the movie, but she's in a position where good choices for the role would almost certainly fail. If she's not a standout bad part of the upcoming movie, it will either be because she's either only getting a small cameo, or Goyer out did himself with writing a horrible movie.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Muscles are created by exerting yourself. Exercise. But what if you can't exercise?

Wonder Woman as a 5 year old could have probably juggled elephants effortlessly.

Her body type despite being as strong as Superman, should be pudgy and squat.

(This explains 16 year old Debra Winger as Wonder Girl. Oh don't get me wrong, she was adorable, desirable even, but Debbie was totally the petty girl's fat friend as far as 70s values go, who would have wound up with Ralph Mouth after Fonzie ####ed the prom queen.)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4745903794_bc7e121743.jpg

If however her strength comes form Zeus, then Diana's strength should rise and fall in direct proportion to her immediate levels of faith in and/or worship of Zeus.

(This sounds dirty.)

The more she gets on her knees, the stronger she is.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right, because an attractive actress can't possibly be talented too.
    I'm still curious exactly how big you expect her to get? Did you watch any of the videos I posted? None of those women are very big.

18. kirk55555

I didnt notice any videos. But, since they can't be clips of WW (unless they're the Lynda carter version, and I've already said she was defiantly not the right size) its not relevant. I've seen clips of gadot, if thats what you mean. The clip from F&F where she basically uses her body to get something, and another where she's basically throwing herself at Vin Diseal, really showed how she played a character that is basically everything WW is not. While that wasn't the big negative against her it showed the role she's most well known for playing (and probably fits her acting talents the best) is really the anti-wonder woman (generally speaking).

As for WW's size, she should be defined enough that she'd look at least a bit out of place as a model. Not body builder level, or even close to it, but obviously an athlete over someone whose main goal is to look attractive. Something closer to how Gina Carano looks in most pictures I've seen, although there is room to be a bit less.She should look like she could kick the average guy's ass, even without super strength. Gadot isn't anywhere close to that, and she's not going to magically become that.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You really don't understand how exercise works, do you?
    :guffaw:

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Says the person who goes on to write four more paragraphs of arguments :p