DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. Fair would be Jackson Bostwick. ;)

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Pulls today:

Action
    Detective

From the long box:

Batman #233 (Giant Issue: "Batman and Robin Face Danger Around the World!)

Action Comics: #441 (Cover has Superman sucker-punching The Flash.)

Action Comics: #457 (Cover with Superman tearing off the Clark Kent disguise behind a boy crying into his pillow, possibly popularized by 'Superdickery" for it's rapey-looking cover.)

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. Trekker4747

I picture Christian Bale in his "gargling gravel" voice saying "Alas poor Yorick..."

5. Trekker4747

Action Comics: This one I really liked and feels like maybe Action Comics is reaching a good groove for me. I don't much like how Morrison uses Jimmy as a complete dim-witt, but whatever. I really liked the action, look and tone as well as the art in this book.

Detective: It was mostly okay, I was half-asleep when I read this so I didn't give it a strong read and need to go over it again. What I did read of it was pretty good so, for the most part, I'm still hanging in there with Detective. (Though I'm still not a big fan of the new villains introduced.)

6. Admiral_Young

I think Morrison would disagree with you about the characterization of Jimmy. He's supposed to be "nerdy" and smart. I'd hardly call him a dim wit.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Animal Man #7 - the start of a new arc but it picks right up from issue #5(recall #6 was movie night with about 2 pages of our real story) so it didn't really feel like a new arc. Felt more like a filler issue...again. Some potential foreshadowing with his daughter. After the last issue Buddy gets some father and son time as they hunt for food and supplies. Manages to make his son look cool in front of some local girls. Overall another mediocore issue. I'm hanging in for the Swamp Thing crossover coming but may drop the book at issue #12

Swamp Thing #7 - Alec finally becomes Swamp Thing. The art is really good and has that surreal vibe to it that is often done with mixed results by some artists. This issue was really all about Alec making the choice to be Swamp Thing vs how it was an accident before. The sub-plot of the story is about Abigail Arcane and how she will not be the woman he met and had feelings for before. I imagine her metamorphosis will be touched on next issue.

8. Trekker4747

Well, I mean "dim wit" more in how he behaves. I dunno, something about the way Morrison writes him here and did in All-Star just sort of turns me off. Maybe "nit-wit" is more accurate?

"We're the A-Team! Ghostbusters!"

Just... ugh.

But, anyway, overall I really liked the book.

9. Admiral_Young

Nit wit maybe a bit more accurate. I get what you're saying. I don't really have a problem since this is supposed to be a younger Jimmy as well. This book is really going to be interesting once it jumps to the present after next issue.

DC Execs talk New 52 sales and are excited for AVX...as I expected, because it will generate sales competition.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-talks-february-2012-comics-sales.html

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  10. Admiral_Young

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I don't particularly care for Tony Daniel OR Ed Benes art... I think I'll drop that book. Story has not been good anyway.

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow did GREEN ARROW fill my bag of comics with a manure-like smell. It could not possibly have been this bad before. This one one of the worst comics I've read in a while.

13. Admiral_Young

Yeah Green Arrow is one of the disappointing books that I had expectations for.

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i quit reading after issue #1. it got worse i take it?

15. Admiral_Young

I quit after issue two lol. It felt like it was going for the "Smallville" version of Green Arrow to me. Even hooked up Ollie with a Chole like side kick.

16. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't read any of the early issues. I jumped on with issue #7 and the new creative team. And boy, was it terrible. Bad writing. Bad art. One of the worse New 52 books I've read.

17. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

My biggest problem with the Bruce Batman comics are that they don't justify their reason to exist through variation. Prior to the DCnU, there was a lot of variation in the Bat-Books. Batman & Robin was relatively lighthearted and a throwback to yesteryear. Batman was the big superhero book, the one that portrayed him as someone you could definitely see on the Justice League. Detective Comics was exactly what it sounds like. And The Dark Knight was dark, supernatural stuff.

Now none of them are different in tone. Detective could easily Batman, Batman could easily be Detective (and visa versa), The Dark Knight could be any of them. Batman and Robin has a bit of variation, but that's just because Robin is in it. It kind of has the same tone when you get down to it.

It doesn't help that half those books are downright awful though...

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well, they needed to hit 52 books, and Batman sells dammit :lol:

Yeah they could easily just have Batman and B&R. Dark Knight is just there to sell David Finch artwork, and Detective... I guess people like Tony Daniel's art? Enough to give him the ultimate vanity bad writer project? I don't see it myself.

19. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Just looked at some scans from JLI 7. Is it the "Despero-aftermath" issue warmed up, like everything else in that series is a stale reheat of the original Giffen/Dematteis run?

20. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

QFT. I wouldn't mind if they all had the same tone, IF, there was a quality of story going on. But... it's all kinda MEH.