Is a Hollywood liberal conspiracy keeping 'Red Dawn' from release?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dusty Ayres, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's a furriner. Probably taking the news bites about psycho teabaggers way too seriously. Funny how the media can just distort the hell out of everything, huh? Just goes to show, if you haven't experienced it directly, you can't trust what you think you know about anything.

2. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just want another James Bond movie... :(

3. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

You'll have to hope that it can be released by 20th Century Fox, or that News Corporation buys MGM (20th Century Fox already owns the video distribution rights to MGM/UA movies & TV shows as it is.)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So can we at least hope that the rest of the existing Bond films make it to Blu-Ray?

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

310 million people mister. :-p

Plus why would China invade us? We buy all their shit, if they invaded us they would destroy their market.

6. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Yes, if such a buyout happens.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

If ever there was an advertisment for the male pill. :cool:

They'd invade you because, apparently, they like the idea of millions of their troops seeing what the bottom of the ocean looks like.

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Soviet forces use military transports flagged as commercial birds to come in undetected, just like tehy did in Afghanistan. Mexico had undergone a revolution, while Cuba and Nicaragua had a million troops each. Cuban and Nicaraguan troops, came up through Texas from Mexico. They used tactical nukes on NORAD, SAC and other command posts, but it was mostly conventional.

9. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well if Red Dawn is never released you can just watch the upcoming Australian movie Tomorrow, When the War Began... based on a series of books written in the 90s which the author pretty much just copies Red Dawn, but moves it to Australia.

10. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

I remember reading those books in school as they were released, great stuff. I wound up reading volumes #2-6 (of 7) which is kinda messed up. The Third Day, the Frost and Darkness be my Friend are still some of my favourite titles for books, period.

I've been thinking about picking the series up again; as I understand it the author has since done a trilogy about Ellie's life 'back in the world'. Didn't know about the film, but if it's an Australian production I'm sure it'll fail horribly. And in any case a miniseries would be more appropriate. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Why look for a sinister conspiracy theory when there's a much simpler explanation at hand?

12. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I'm just going to say yes because I don't really care.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Because that's nearly not as fun!

14. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be funny. If that was really what happened.

15. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

Blame the New World Order and the Build-A-Burger Chain of fast food resturaunts.

16. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Between MGM's financial difficulties and the fear that an anti-Soviet fantasy would flop because there haven't been any Soviets around in the lifetime of the largest moviegoing age cohort, there's no mystery for a conspiracy theory to explain. Cpmmies as enemies doesn't work anymore even for Iron Man. In fact, it didn't even do too well in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in a period setting.

The terms "liberal" and "left-wing" are not synonyms. Using them as if they were is merely rightwing propaganda.

The rule of thumb definition of "rich" is supposed to be, one million dollars a year income. Only a relative handful of movie and television celebrities are rich by any sane standard. Anyone who puts, say, Matt Damon in the same category as Carlos Slim needs his head examined.

Further, celebrities do not necessarily have a platform to be influential from. Even someone as well known as Kevin Costner couldn't automatically command an audience. The handful of celebrities who are geniunely rich and also command ready access to the media at large (the tabloids are not enough, not yet,) are a mere handful. The likes of Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck and such versus the likes of Oprah, Ellen and Howard Stern. Anyone who turns that into "right" versus "left" is misusing the words.

Last and least, if Christopher Nolan claims Batman Begins and Dark Knight are liberal films, or even just not "conservative," he must be using a definition of "conservative" which means that all conservatives must enthusiastically approve of a vigilante murdering criminals, and any reservations at all makes you a commie sympathizer. This lack of sophistication would explain a lot about why the movies are so bad.

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

They wouldn't. At least, not with a conventional army. They'd just poison us with lead toys and toothpaste.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aren't those shielded against nukes? AFAIK, NORAD is so far underground that a nuke couldn't get to it.

19. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

I will say the lastest Bond film seems to imply that global warming's a hoax.

It's never stated in so many words, but notice how the villain--Mr. Greene of Greene Planet, allegedly an environmental activist dedicated to creating ecological reserves--is damming up the water supply of Bolivia, to create a famine.

In various points in the film, before this big reveal, we hear the famine attributed to "the glaciers melting" or "the rainforests being destroyed".

In the film, GW isn't only a hoax, but all part of an evil plot to control the world's natural resources....

20. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's hilarious is that article quotes an admitted conservative blogger who provides no evidence to support his claim. Why it got the title is a mystery to me.

And yes, MGM is completely screwed. The fact that they have a film basically ready to release, but can't even fund DISTRIBUTION of it tells you everything you need to know. It's hard for me to believe they can still pay the bills if things are that bad.