Star Trek Uncharted...

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Overgeeked, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

And what's the process of them taking it from him. I'm fairly certain there's... lawyers involved.

So not only are you an intellectual property rights lawyer, specializing in domain name seizures, but now you're claiming to speak for all fans everywhere. That escalated quickly.

But let's be clear for a second, so you're honestly saying that if CBS/Paramount decided tomorrow to have every fan site on the net taken down that there would be zero backlash for that?

I think you fail to understand basic human reactions, to say nothing of the hardcore types who take the time, effort, energy, and money required to do a fan site. Suddenly CBS/Paramount slaps them all with cease and desist orders (which somehow magically doesn't involve lawyers apparently) and there's absolutely zero negative reaction to that move? You don't understand people or fans at all then.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You know what? I'm done talking to you, since you can't seem to have a conversation without getting all bitchy and constantly feeling the need to make personal insults whenever someone has the gall to call you out on stuff. The only reason I'm not reporting your elitist attitude to the mods is that you're not worth my time.

3. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm skeptical as well. Of course, I'm a former journalist and I don't trust a one-source story. It's just bad reporting, no other way to slice it.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

5. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

No, Karzak is probably right. Even though they own the trademark, they still have to go through a legal process to appropriate a domain which uses it. They can't just take it, there's still lawyers and paperwork to go along with it. Usually, to avoid legal fees, companies will throw out something cheaper to try and avoid it. Mostly though, that would be cheap merchandise and not a pitch for a TV show. I can see how that is probably one of the cheapest ways for them to acquire it, but for a variety of reasons it is still pretty suspect.

6. Overgeeked

I think Inigo Montoya has something to say to you...

Exactly.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

They would just contact there legal department to send notice to his Domain Registrar. It really would not take to much. I have been a part of domain seizures before based on trademarks so I know what happens. Problem here is that many fans are aware of his site so it is negative press to seize the name.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

^So let's see...someone who has actual knowledge about how the process works vs. someone who just thinks they know what they're talking about and gets all argumentative when called out on it. Hmm...

And I'm pretty sure that the only reason why fans are aware of his site was because it just happened to have the same name as the movie and got tons of traffic for the last month. I'd bet that if his site disappeared tomorrow no one would care, because that wasn't what they were looking for when they went there. That's not a crack on his work, though, that's just reality.

9. Overgeeked

So they'd call their lawyers and have them do the paperwork. And there would likely be a backlash because fans.

It's funny how he contradicted you, yet you're trying to do a victory dance.

There's this odd thing that I've noticed. People often think others are guilty of the thing they're actually doing themselves. The pirate thinks everyone else is a pirate. The know-nothing argumentative type thinks everyone else is a know-nothing argumentative type. Puts a new light on your sentence:

Indeed.

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually wanted to advertise on his site back in April , knowing it would eventually attract a bunch of attention :)

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Lol :lol:

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=270793

To bad I did not push harder! LOL

13. Ryan8bit

But what good is that awareness? I mean, would anyone really be upset if Paramount/whoever reclaimed their trademark on a website? It's not like all of a sudden they're going to take down startrekaxanar.com or other various sites. And they're not going to take down his new alternate site.

And further, if it's not an attempt at avoiding expense, and if it's not about PR, then what would be the point of hearing out a pitch by a near amateur? How does that benefit the owners? At that point, it seems more like a lie or wishful thinking.

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Just took a look at that thread. It seems that Mr. Gummelt already wrote up his "pitch" or whatever on his website months before he's claiming Paramount contacted him. That's not the way it works. Paramount (or whoever is producing a new show) wouldn't have searched out some guy who already had his idea posted on the internet for all to read. They would have hired someone to come up with a new idea, just like Paramount did with Abrams.

Exactly.

15. Ryan8bit

I don't know that it couldn't work that way, but you raise an interesting point in that a pitch should probably be a bit more secretive for a variety of reasons. Why would they need him to come in when it's all pretty much written down? A few things here aren't adding up.

16. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have an audience with the Pope. He asked me after some of that awesome praying I did that one time.

17. Autistoid

Autistoid Captain

I can think of 4 reasons.

To build up hype with the community of fan fiction. Create a grass roots type interest.

They have already decided behind close doors to do a plot extremely similar and want to create a public narrative, I mean come on it's not like anything with the concept is that unexpected. It'd make sense for the grass roots angle to say that they are listening to the fan base.

To hype a project without actually having to get your hands dirty. Tonnes of hype with absolutely no commitment necessary.

If St 13 is a total bomb it'll make it seem like the pab finally listened to the true fans, and got one of them to work the next series.

Regardless of the situation, it's still a small small part of any potential new series.

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. This is what people think when they want something to be true. I'm sorry, there is no reason for CBS to go to him after seeing his super awesome fan fiction on his website, and tap him to create a new Star Trek series. Keep in mind that the source is Gummelt himself, and not CBS. I mean, hell, if you want unsubstantiated rumors, I just wrote a draft for a great new series I'm producing. It's a mix between Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars. Disney has already contacted me to pitch the idea to them, and in the next six months we should be starting principal photography.

19. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

The other possibility is that Grummelt has a connection at the studio. Someone he knows there who helped to set this up. Maybe. No one important there, mind, but someone who could at least get him in the door.

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Then that connection should have probably told him to keep his mouth shut instead of blabbing to Trekmovie before any official statement was made by Paramount. If this is all true, that is.