Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Even the 2008 theatrical feature that kicked off the TV series has gotten better with age. Critics skewered and roasted it five years ago and I'll admit: I didn't think too much of it at the time. But as I got into the series itself over the past few years I grew to like the original movie more and more.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the film a lot when it first came out...I think it might have aged better, because of Ahsoka's character has evolved so much since we were first introduced to her. We have a better appreciation where things were going now than we obviously did back then.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The only complaint I had about the movie was the baby Hutt and Capote the Hutt. If you took those two elements out it was perfectly fine.

4. cooleddie74

Rotta the Hutt (Jabba's child) was annoying, but if nothing else he demonstrated how Hutts look and behave as newborns and infants.

I wish they'd left the "Punky Muffin" and "Stinky" nicknames on the cutting room floor, but we won't go there....

5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked The Clone Wars film. If I had any problem with it, it was that it did feel like three episodes put together and I think the mission needed to be something bigger than kidnapping Jabba's kid. LFL should have done a more limited release for that movie. The reception for it didn't set the best tone for The Clone Wars but the best was literally still to come.

Someone pointed out something I didn't realize about Yoda...the only episode in which he starred was indeed the first one.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah that always stuck in my craw. Yoda and Palpatine are my two favorite characters. This was the perfect opportunity to give us Yoda-centric stories and after the very first episode they never did it again!!! Grr!

7. cooleddie74

As fun and great as the series is, there have definitely been a lot of lost opportunities to showcase particular characters. Yoda....Palpatine....I'm sure we could each compile a small list of heroes and villains we wish got more exposure and/or character development over the course of the past five seasons.

8. Admiral_Young

A small list? :)

I always wanted a Palpatine centric story. He's been one of my favourite characters since I first saw him, and then later learned his name. Yoda I guess is getting a solo film if those reports are still true, so that should be interesting. James Luceno's Darth Plagueis novel...I've still not got around to but I always wanted more Palps!

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that the 3 episodes that formed the introduction movie should have been the Grevious arc that followed it... I thought that was a much better introduction to the series than the abducted Hutt one. However they would have had to introduce Ahsoka in that one and maybe it wouldn't have worked as well. But I liked all of them the first time I saw them. The Manevolence was just more intriguing to me than rescuing Jabba's son or nephew, whatever he was.

I think overall the entire series they managed to get just the right amount of General Grevious, not too much and not too little.
    Maybe a bit more Aalya... the right amount of Boba/Arrua.
    Gregor and Qualon Vos were under-represented.
    There wasn't too much Jar-Jar but I'm surprised there was as much as there was. The female Jar-Jar was even worse, though. Was her name Bippy?

10. cooleddie74

At least a small list! I'm sure some of the ones you guys could type would look like a little kid telling Santa what he wants for Christmas. ;)

11. Admiral_Young

I have said this I think elsewhere but I would have personally have bookmarked the end of the "Clone Wars" with another feature film. I doubt that is how Filoni and Lucas planned...although I think I did come across an interview where Filoni stated another film intrigued him. This thing started as a film, and I always have thought it should end as one as well.

12. cooleddie74

Yes. A film to end the series and tie everything into the beginning of Episode III. I'd have enjoyed that.

The Tartakovsky microseries from ten years ago depicted Anakin and Obi-Wan and the moments leading up to the Battle of Coruscant and the beginning of Episode III, but that show has been effectively decanonized by now, at least partially. They could have rewritten the Jedis' adventures in the Outer Rim Sieges just before and as Palpatine is kidnapped and they receive the orders to return home to Coruscant for the battle and rescue mission.

It could have been a lot of fun, but oh well. Disney has other plans.

13. Admiral_Young

I'm wondering...should we get Neroon to close this thread? Or since it's still active...keep it open? Almost seems no point to keep it open in a way to me...but if you guys still want it then by all means. I'll miss this discussions, even though I always didn't participate in them. "The Clone Wars" kind of became a "Summer catch up" show for me.

14. cooleddie74

I think we should keep it open, unless Neroon thinks it's for the best to clang this one shut and let us start a new thread about the future of the unreleased Clone Wars story material and discuss what happens to the characters now that the show has been cancelled.

I guess we'll know soon enough, but I'm not averse to letting this one last a little longer. We seem to be having some good conversations and some fun.

15. Admiral_Young

Fair enough. I'm tempted to do a fan fic script lol. At the very least that is what Disney has been motivating me to do :)

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The Darth Plagueis novel is extremely good and answers a LOT of questions about Palpatine, Plagueis, the Sith, Anakin, TPM, Dooku, Maul, Sifo-Dyas, etc, etc, etc. It's very well written too; it's a good STORY in addition to being a good fact hunt. The relationship between Plagueis and Sidious is actually quite fascinating.

17. cooleddie74

I wouldn't mind seeing a CGI animated feature based on Plagueis. At this point everybody with a functioning central nervous system and is old enough to watch Star Wars without filling a diaper knows that Palpatine is the Sith Master and goes on to become the Emperor of the classic OT era. Let's adapt Luceno's novel and tell the story to a much wider audience. Make it a direct-to-DVD and BluRay release if you want, but I'd be interested in seeing it.

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Smaller characters I would have liked to have seen appear...Owen and Beru. I'm surprised we never saw them. Would have liked to have gotten one with Anakin back on Tatooine (not counting the movie), along with Padme and Obi-Wan and delved more into that "should have stayed here and not gotten involved."

I thought we would get an Obi-Wan and Bail story at some point. Also thought it might be interesting to see Bail's wife as she was the woman who raised Leia.

What I would have loved to have seen for Rex is a post-Order 66 storyline where he stays loyal to the Republic. This leads to him being hunted down by Cody and setting up a confrontation between the two. It would have been an interesting switch to see Anakin's clone remain loyal to the Republic while Obi-Wan's (like the other clones) was loyal to the Empire.

I think SW can have a great future in animation, like what WB does with DC and like how Marvel used to do animated straight-to-DVD films.

19. cooleddie74

Owen and Beru have always been underused during the course of the Prequel era. They got a few minutes to shine in AOTC and had the honor of being in the very emotional final shot of Episode III a few years later, but I always wanted the producers of the franchise to go back and expand on their characters a little bit, even if it was just a single animated TV episode.

Lots of blown potential with those two, and with Cliegg Lars. It's implied that he's gone by the time Obi-Wan delivers baby Luke to the couple on Tatooine but we never saw nor heard anything else about him after Anakin leaves the planet in Episode II.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was kind of surprising to me too that we never got more Tattoine in TCW. I wouldn't have minded seeing something with Obi-Wan spending more time there as a set up for him picking there to hide out after Order 66.
    And maybe see him spending some time with the Lars, so that he would know he could definitely trust them not to turn Luke over to the Empire.
    EDIT: I've been meaning to mention that a few months ago my local CW station started airing syndicated repeats of Clone Wars.