3 Possibilities for Series VI

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by marknetprod, Sep 18, 2008.

1. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

Know what I would love to see?

A modern 2-D animated (well animated) Star Trek series, any era. I'd even take it during TOS -- it's a lot easier to match voice actors than it is live-actors to original characters. A well-written, well-drawn show with a broad appeal to families, tackling the issues sci-fi does so well, while remaining true to the spirit of Trek and having a bit of fun...

...ah, well. A girl can dream.

2. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    Agreed. Move forward, already! We've had Cochrane in Trek 8, four years of ENT, now a TOS sorta-prequel. Enough with the history lessons! What's wrong with a new ship and a new crew? TOS told great stories about great characters and was very much a product of its (very troubled) time---let's tell our stories now, inspired by the times that we are living in!

3. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feel like there are still stories to be told in the 24th century - maybe show the Federation rebuilding after the war and starting to explore again.

I've had an about turn recently, so I wouldn't actually mind a Pike-era series depending on how the film turns out.

On the other hand, the franchise needs to bring new fans in, like TNG did 20 years ago, so maybe another leap into the future (i.e. the 25th century) is the way to go. A large enough gap between that and the TNG era could mean that there's some room to 'start again', rediscover old races, meet some whole new ones - the Federation has branched out further into the galaxy, maybe not even in the Milky Way at all. And there's still room to fill in the gaps between Nemesis and the new series if they wanted.

I think I'm not alone in needing to open my mind in accepting a new version of the Trekverse, so it doesn't suffer the same fate as Enterprise and the last couple of seasons of Voyager.

4. Ravager

Ravager Ensign Newbie

I was thinking of a series myself for a while.

Andromeda Galaxy a somewhat similar spiral galaxy to our milky way would a nice unexplored target.

Maybe have a new crew post Nemesis. (Enterprise E/Refit or a New Ship)

I've been trying to figure out ways to explain how they get there...

1. Worm Hole (Only Opens every 7yrs ;))
    2. A "Q" throws a ship over there to learn a Lesson.

A Empire of sorts as the main villain ebe.

5. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Disagree. I'd rather they just establish an entirely new canon-line rather than messing with time travel.

Not a bad idea. Make it CGI.

DS9 largely explored the whole "station" concept.

Although, a series set on Earth Spacedock might be interesting, since presumably it's the size of a large city. It might also be a good chance to examine Earth in the 24th century, which hasn't really been done yet.

6. Penta

Penta Commander Red Shirt

Earth in the 24th Century is supposed to be a utopia. Somehow I...don't see the dramatic potential in a utopian setting.

7. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. If you want to make a planet-based show, put it on a remote colony on the very very fringes of the Federation.

8. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

less dark and dreary scifi/trek please

9. Herkimer Jitty

Please point out where I said dark and dreary?

That would not be the intent, however doing things TNG-style where everyone gets along eerily well would not work.

Were I to pitch a Series VI, character interactions would be more along the lines of TOS. The future isn't dark, but the characters disagree with each other and god forbid... argue.

Star Trek doesn't need to be darker to be better. BUT, it does need to be less sterile.

10. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe a good approach would be to explore that utopia, to see if indeed it actually is one, or if it's simply the illusion of being a paradise.

11. Ravager

Ravager Ensign Newbie

Does anyone like my Idea!?:(

12. Herkimer Jitty

It's alright. I don't see why a new galaxy would be needed though. An optimistic projection puts 3 percent of the Milky Way as being visited by the Federation over 200 years, with 1 percent being fully explored. Reality would probably be far far less than an optimistic projection.

13. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

a single starship trapped in an unexplored region of space with no means of communicating with Starfleet?

sounds familiar....

14. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Im betting it will be a STXI setting...mayb on a Kelvin type starship or something similar, after all they went to the trouble of building unique sets for that ship. They could be used for a series even if they were given a makeover to upgrade them to a similar level of technology as the new Enterprise.

Hopefully not as bright though and no barcode readers (unless they do something important)

15. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I'd hope against that to be honest, purely for the reason that I don't want to see the entirety of TOS rebooted/re-imagined/re-told/retconned, whatever you want to call it.

An origins story is all the Kirk era needs to complete that particular saga.

There's so much more of the Trek universe to explore without having to step on anything that's come before. There's pre-Enterprise, post-Enterprise pre-TOS, post-TUC pre-TNG and post-TNG... with all that scope for whole new stories and adventures (especially in the last instance), I'd hope there's be a bit more imagination with the future of the franchise.

16. johnsonalmighty

johnsonalmighty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well if Trek need to move forwards they should create a series in the either mid or late 25th century, and the series shoul take place in another Galaxy. If they are sticking to Canon, Andromedia's out since the "radiation" caused the galaxy uninhabitable as refernce to TOS. So it sould be in the Triangular Galaxy, aka M33 the one Enterprise D visited in episode with the traveler in it. The new ship, the Enterprise G ( the "F" went the way of the dodo IMO) is equiped with a fully functional trans warp drive so the new crew wont be dead by the time they get there.
    To made the old school fans happy the Enterpise G would have a retro look, and resemble the contiution class starship, in simpler terms if the enterpise A and the Enterprise E were to be combined that is what the new ship would look like.

On a side note this show should be animated.

What do you think?:techman:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  17. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

A galaxy overrun by a zombie virus, and a ship sent to find a cure recruits heroes from various eras in history.

Star Trek: Dead Time

18. warp 9

warp 9 Ensign Newbie

i think someone should explore the other species of trek. maybe the klingons or the romulans. take a look at the klingon political stucture, we already have a complete klingon language. possibly how the vucans and the romulans separated into two different sects. there are so many possibilities......

19. Cap'n Caveman

Cap'n Caveman Captain Captain

Wow, when I read that I immediately thought of the USS Bozeman commanded by Captain Bateson. I think she was assigned border patrol duty in one of the novels ("Ship of the Line"?).

20. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're new here, aren't you?