Captain America: The Winter Soldier Discussion Thread - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by trekkiebaggio, Mar 26, 2014.

?

What did you think?

1. Excellent

138 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. Good

27 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Poor

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's a disappointment, but it doesn't mean there won't be more of them later. And considering they were cool extras rather than the "main" content, I'm thankful for the ones we got so far.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a BluRay player yet and I'm probably waiting until the Phase 2 combined release anyway, but it's still a great appeal for me. It's the reason to choose BluRay over DVD.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mea culpa, I totally missed that phrase being in there. :alienblush:

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    All good, you just read it too fast.

I only got the BR because of the One Shot.
    I'm not overly concerened with cut footage, gag reels and commentaries so I'll just get the standard DVD for Winter Soldier.

I was hoping for a Lady Sif One Shot since all the One Shots have featured already existing characters as the leads with exception to Item 47 I suppose. The Thor world is the one that hadn't been explored in the One Shot format.

SHIELD. (Coulson centric ones)
    Cap's world was (Agent Carter)
    IM as well (All Hail the King)
    Avengers (Item 47)

Just seems Thor's realm was due a One Shot and with Dark World being the prior film AND Sif/Loreli in an AoS episode all seemed primed for an Asgardian One Shot, Warriors Three even.

5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I still say it was going to be an Ant-Man tie-in in some way and the director juggling futzed it up.

6. Alidar Jarok

That's unlikely. It's almost always about the previous movie, not the subsequent movie.

7. Captain Craig

^^^
    Exactly. It was NOT going to be Ant-Man related.

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Say, what kind of technology is the Winter Soldier's metal arm based on?

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Robotics, obviously. ;)

10. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would likely be a foundation of mid to late 40's technology that's had minor tweaks and improvements over the decades. The sounds it made in the movie gave me the impression it was more gear / clockwork based than say a Terminator style robotic arm.

11. Captain Craig

If the actual figures hold based on estimates then CA:TWS will have surpassed the LEGO film to now be the highest grossing film at the US Domestic Box Office.

CA:TWS tally at US Dom BO=$255,886

As an aside 3 of the Top 5 to date are Comic Book based films.
    CA #1
    Spidey#3
    X-Men#4

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

For the year?

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Can someone please tell me what the end game was in this film? I started losing my interest around the time it went from being a merely competent political thriller/ chase film to becoming a rather charmless "Avengers 1.5" film.

Okay, here:

So they were going to fly these ridiculous flying aircraft carriers 3000 feet (my model bottle rocket goes higher than that) and lock a bunch of machine guns on ordinary citizens and shoot them all at once in broad daylight? What did they think was going to happen when they pulled this off?

And why did these stupid aircraft carriers have giant see-through bubbles on the bottom with bridges to make it seem more like Cap was playing a video game?

And how does someone jump into a flying helicopter without being shredded?

Marvel needs to grow up!

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Or you could accept that these are comicbook movies and it's a rare superhero story that stands up to real world logic or realism.

Rule of Cool is the mantra.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Maybe so.. and I'll go with that.

But no one has answered what the heck was supposed to happen with that last act.

What was the end game? Killing citizens in broad daylight?

What??

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah mate, relax. It's just a film!

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yes, I know. But it's also one of the most critically acclaimed blockbusters of the year, and, unless someone can clear these things up for me, I will go on saying that this film falls completely apart in the last act.

18. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

It's difficult to say what exactly Hydra's plans ultimately were considering the heroes' actions forced them to take counter-action almost from the opening scene, but I'd say Project Insight was basically PRISM combined with a super-drone programme.

In one fell-swoop, Hydra could eliminate all its potential enemies under the guise of anti-terrorism operations.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Than go on saying that. Why should I go out of my way to explain to you why I enjoy a film?

20. Alidar Jarok

I think the guise was just to get the program developed. I think it's implausible to believe they planned to keep their plans a secret after assassinating the President and everyone else. I think it's more likely that the coup would establish the new paradigm so quickly that the government could not stop it. And once you have carriers that can kill thousands instantaneously and can fly permanently in the sky, it's hard to challenge them after that.

Agents of SHIELD seems to corroborate my theory:
    Based on my take on the timeline, HYDRA began taking out SHIELD bases right around the same time Nick Fury discovered that the program was corrupt and they tried to take him out. Given this, it suggests there was no plan to keep HYDRA a secret forever.