Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Beyerstein, Aug 14, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Because you and general audiences already know the fate of Kirk and Company in the Prime Timeline. You would have essentially been tying your own hands from a drama standpoint by just shoe-horning another adventure into the Prime timeline.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Because you can play with them in different ways--and aren't locked into forty-seven years of predetermined "canon." ("But Amanda can't die yet! We saw her in the fourth movie!")

You can make Khan a rogue agent of Section 31, for instance, or blow up Vulcan, or have Spock hook up with Uhura, or erase the Organian Peace Treaty from the continuity, or whatever. Nothing is set in stone.

Look at the new, modern-day versions of SHERLOCK and ELEMENTARY. They're doing fun twists on the classic elements--but aren't beholden to the original Conan Doyle "timeline."

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

To pick and choose what bits they wanted?

4. Greg Cox

Coming soon: Crisis on Infinite Treks :)

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. When DC does their next reboot of Superman should they dump the whole alien thing and Luthor being his arch foe?

6. Greg Cox

There's a new Dracula series coming on NBC this fall. I'm going to go out on limb and guess that he's still a vampire--although they seem to be taking a plenty of liberties with the original story. As you do.

And I seriously doubt that they'll be returning to the old Hammer Films "timeline." Or that anybody really expects them to to! :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I'll take that as an admission that your list contained zero rehashed stories.

"Don't act like it has none". Wow. I already said that it's one, and challenged anyone to provide more. No one has. This trick of yours to come back and re-mention that one scene, as though it counts as "more", is desperate and pathetic.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

And a 2014 film, the first major one since the 1992 film, which is already set to be more of a period drama based largely on Tepes and his past, which is rather rare for any of them.

But you know, still Tepes, still an aristocratic vampire in a castle.

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

That's the second time that you had to reply to me with a snarky response. You state opinion and when someone responds, it either "doesn't count" or "isn't relevant" to you. You'll say "nobody has been able to explain how STID rehashed anything" after stating one. If my examples don't count at least you should take yours.

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Don't play games. We've already stated that your list did NOT include any examples of reused stories. I've already allowed the reversed warp core scene, so there's that. I'm asking, and this is EXACTLY what happened in the first post I wrote on that, if there's anything more than that ONE scene. The list you provided doesn't include anything that could be considered a reused story. It's as simple as that, and your attempt to distract us won't change anything.

11. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I can see it now. ;)

Seriously, as has been said. Star Trek, and sci-fi itself, has been around so long that basically anything you come up with is pretty much a variant of something that has been done before. The magic of good writers is they can add their own unique twists to those done before concepts.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The more I think about it, the more I want a proper prequel film of how Kirk really became Captain of the Enterprise. In the style of films like Love Actually, Crash or Traffic, with all the character's ways to end up on the ship told in parallel, interweaved stories.

No contrived bullshit of him meeting McCoy and Uhura in Iowa, no Spock is the programmer of Kobayashi Maru crap, no instant cadet to Captain promotion fuck.

The massacre on Tarsus IV, Kirk's adventures on the Farragut, Spock's adventures with Pike, and other stuff are interesting stories. And there would be still A SHITLOAD of room to tell new exciting stories the characters had before getting on the Enterprise.

And just for fun I want that 300 style epic Klingon tale about Klingons slaying their gods, and Kahless' adventures. R-rated, heavily stylized, science fiction fantasy epic.

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would agree with that post up until you came out with the Klingon 300 movie. ;)

14. Greg Cox

Actually, I thought part that sounded pretty good! :)

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Same, I'd watch it.

"THIS IS QO'NOS!"
    [​IMG]

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

A Klingon 300 would rock!

17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

PLEASE write that!

If you don't, I will.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't that what "Parallels" essentially was? They almost had one big universe full of billions of Enterprises.

Also, another vote for Klingon 300!

19. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

Hi, this is my first post here on this forum. Been a long, LONG time lurker though.

I grew up watching TNG. For me TNG, DS9 and VOY will always be Star Trek. Do I want that Universe back? OF COURSE I do!
    Do I think it will be brought back? No. Too much time has passed since ENT. Hollywood expects a franchise reboot every 7 years or so it seems.

ST2009 and ITD are entertaining action movies that look like Star Trek, but to me they still feel like fanfic films that pay homage to OldTrek. After the third film, there be the inevitable trilogy boxset, but after that.... I don't think a new TV-series is very likely. It seems to me the age of space-opera on TV is over, for now.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

250,000, but still, a lot.