Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RAMA, Jul 6, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not too impressed by the voice work, especially Cyborg. I liked Michael B. Jordan in Chronicle, but his voice isn't interesting or strong enough by itself to be good for animation.

3. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    It's a weird mix of monotone and emotive. There's a hint of emotion, enough to save it from being too monotone, but it's not that expressive either. If it's a conscious choice, it might be a sign that this Cyborg is fighting the robotic parts. However, based on non evidence from the source material and a feeling that it's more of a poor job doing the voice than a creative choice, I just think it's a poor choice for Cyborg.

Batman sounds too...Batman-like. Not a horrible thing, but
    it's not Bruce Wayne under the cowl, it's his father. An older, slightly different take than we've gotten would have made it better.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

The problem with these movies having so many different actors play the "real characters", its hard for these alternate ones to seem different.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is gonna be better than the comic. Kevin McKidd is Thomas Wayne/Batman in this as mentioned above. Don't mind Cyborg.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the animation, and I didn't think the voice work was that bad. I kind of wish they had tones down the Batman voice, but if I could put up with Bale's Bat-growl (that was my one and only issue with the Nolan movies), then shouldn't bother me too much.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let's be clear.

This is a holocaust movie.

This is the mechanism with which DC murdered a lot of fictional characters I care about.

Good?

Now, on with the show.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Looks like the same art style from Young Justice. I like it.

9. Christopher

^Good catch. Phil Bourassa, the lead character designer for YJ, also did the character designs for this movie. He also did the previous two Justice League DVD movies, Crisis on Two Earths and Doom.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems they're keen on the style. Not really anything distinctive about Andy Kubert's art for "Flashpoint" that they need to adapt other than of course the alternate reality character designs. I'm actually very hopeful for this, and as mentioned previously and in the other thread we had...this actually seems like it will be better than the actual event it's based on.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that design style, so I don't mind if they stick with it.

12. Guy Gardener

(I'm watching it right now.)

The serenity prayer?

The AA Anthem?

Yes, yes, a sickness, diagnosed mental disorder... She's a drunky.

But Barry's mum successfully passed the serenity prayer off as sage home spun wisdom.

Fricking hilarious.

oh.

Keep watching the end credits, there's a cookie after they finish rolling.

PS.

Counting Robot Chicken, this is the FOURTH time Nathan Fillion has played Hal Jordan.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  13. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Sam Daly sounds just like his father. I didn't realize that Superman wasn't voiced by Tim Daly until I looked up the movie on Wikipedia.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Comic Book Resources has a write-up of what some of the filmmakers and cast had to say about The Flashpoint Paradox at Comic-Con. Some of them spoke about how a lot of the movies going forward are going to be more connected in a new continuity than the previous DC animated movies. You can read the story here.

15. Guy Gardener

From NOW... The Barry Allen at the end of the story is a different human being living in a subtly different Earth from the Barry Allen at the... Well, before the beginning of the movie.

So all the new movies are going to be post new 52?

I'm don't trust that what they say is true is at all close to what will become the truth.

16. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the movie. It makes me want another Flash movie. I will say that, while its leading to a New 52 thing, I liked that

Barry and Iris are still together in the end. It fixed one of Flashpoint's big screw ups, because in the comic the universe is supposedly shaped based off a mix of his old and new memories. They took that to mean he forgot he was married to his wife (and that he's forgotten his nephew exists, but that has nothing to do with this movie). The movie apparently didn't make him forget that, so I consider that a win for good writing. Maybe Justice League: War will benefit from other people getting to modify Johns mediocre storyline. I'm betting they won't start making every movie New 52. They kept movies like new Frontier in its right style, and even drew TDKR movies to look like Miller's book. I think (hope) that they'll keep going with designs on a movie by movie basis. If nothing else, dC comics doesn't control the animated films, so I don't see every movie using the New 52 style. Plus, lets be honest, New 52 DC isn't doing nearly well enough for the apparently well selling DC direct movie line to have to start copying them. I don't think we'll be seeing to many New 52 adaptation. JL is a try out, but even if its successful I don't think it will take over the film line. There isn't much they can adapt, I don't think anyone would watch adaptations of their New 52 superman or Batman solo stories.

Also, this movie was really violent. It fit the story perfectly, and I liked how they didn't shy away from it (I never expected them to actually show WW with Mera's decapitated head). It helped the story. The Cyborg/Superman moment was done very well, and was pretty sad. I liked seeing the Young Justice Aqualad in the Flashpoint universe alongside the Flashpoint Garth and Aquagirl. It reminded me of how much I miss YJ :weep: The art was pretty good, although normal Universe Superman was a little weird and Wonder Woman's eyes were a bit to anime like compared to the other guys. I liked the voice acting. The only outright bad choice was Steve Blum as Lex. I really like Steve Blum's work, but his Lex sucked.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Not all of them, no. They're saying many of them will connect together in at least a loose continuity, but Andrea Romano specifically said it wouldn't be all of them. Batman: Assault on Arkham, for example, will take place in a separate continuity set in the world of the Arkham video games.

18. Christopher

If they're going to do movies sharing continuity, what I'd really like to see, as I mentioned before, is a Young Justice movie trilogy or something completing that show's story arc in a compressed form.

19. Guy Gardener

I use logic to figure everything out, which is why crazy people and stupid people stuff up my world view.

You're never going to get a finish to that story.

It failed.

What they're going to give you instead is a remagination again.

Of course I never would have believed Titans Go would dig it's way out of it's grave, but truly if there ever was a cartoon that was saying "brrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaains, Braaaaaaaaiiiins, Braaaaaaaaains." it might just be that piece of fluff.

They're going to go back to the source and give you a new Titans closer to the "modern" New 52 product, because that's what they're selling as T-shirts, hard covers, toys and busts.

"Modern" is on a sliding scale, and it's sliding down hill.

20. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Well having just watched this I must say it was truely terrific. Loved the classic rogues in the beginning and the whole story had me interested all the way til the teaser at the end. A few minor qibbles with the way they had the Flash use his powers but they were only minor. All in all five stars.