Paramount forcing scanned FASA Trek material off Net (Pen&Paper)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Ian Keldon, Sep 10, 2012.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Since I am clearly so lacking in the necessary cognitive skills, why don't you explain it then, that I may bow down and genuflect before your gifted illumination. :rolleyes:

2. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Just the dry facts:

Basically scanning whole books/character sheets and uploading them online and redistributing wouldn't count as fair use. However scanning a handful of pages and then commenting and criticizing the content would (likely) count as fair use.

More on Fair Use

COlumbia University Fair Use Check List

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I was reviewing some of the old material online this weekend. So, it's still there (at least on the sites that I looked at).

If you want legal copies, look on eBay. I bought some stuff for the ST Tactical Combat Simulator for a good price.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

General rule of thumb: If this was how you made a living, how you were putting bread on your table each day, what would you consider "fair"?

Therefore:

Someone scanning a single page to illustrate a review: "Fair Use".

Someone scanning every page of someone's work and putting it up on the web for everyone to download for free, or you making your own bound copies and selling them or giving them away: not "fair use".

Whether the original work is earning the copyright owner additional money at the moment or not, does not suddenly change the rules of "fair use".

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Too many assumptions are being made.

Are they only shutting down sites that scan every single pixel of every single printed page of a copyrighted work? If so, then that would be understandable for the property owners to take action. What you describe is piracy, flat out, and that's obviously wrong and shouldn't be condoned.

If they're targeting sites that have any kind of FASA material (not complete works), either in text or graphic form, that maybe limited down to a couple of reference snippets, when all such materials' copyrights have been appropriately cited, then that's a different story entirely.

This is not a black and white issue - there are shades of gray in this situation which seem to be getting ignored by a lot of people. Do we know for a fact that Paramount is going after anyone who has ever used FASA-based materials, no matter how miniscule? Is this a series of isolated incidents or more scorch-and-burn? Can we be fact-based, or is that too much to ask? There is simply not enough information to really tell what's going on.

6. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

You can also try Noble Knight Games. I just stumbled on them the other night, but they have a ton of OOP material for a lot of RPGs, and most of the prices are reasonable. I already ordered some of the FASA Trek books. :D