Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I quite liked the artwork up till now, it seemed a bit different to me this issue.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The artwork is different in this issue.

Gordon Purcell, veteran Star Trek comics artist, is providing the pencil foundation for Woodward to paint over from here on out.

3. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks I was going to check but my wife gave me chores to do instead.

4. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personaly, I'd enjoy a primeval and dr who cross over (on TV, not in a comic). I could just imagine Lester shooting a dalek with a big gun.

5. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

tonights episode may help with that.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Something which bothered me in Part 4, the Borg and the interior of their ships are drawn to resemble the look from the TNG TV series, even though the previous issues went with the First Contact look. And then to really mix things up, TV series Borg are using tubules to assimilate, which was intorduced in First Contact.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Man, even with photo references, the artist couldn't draw Amy/Karen to save his life.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. That was the worst rendering of Karen/Amy in the book yet.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I did notice a change in the artwork with this issue. It was a tad distracting, considering it took me a bit to get used to the art in the first place.

All in all I thought this was a strong issue, the characterizations are still spot on. And the new twist of the Cybermen turning on the Borg has me intrigued, and I can't wait to see where they go with that. This miniseries has been turning out to be really fun and I can't wait to ultimately find out how this crossover is even possible.

10. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, IDW has always been abosolutly awful when it comes to art. I remember one Star Trek comic they did with Next Gen where they had Geordi talking and he was intentionally out of focus, and I realized this wasn't stylistic so much as it was time and effort saving.

When I heard IDW was doing the Doctor Who/TNG crossover, i got really sad. Same thing when I heard they were doing the Magic: The Gathering comics. le sigh.

Story is alright, but I'm probably not going to keep buying these. Heck of a lot of padding.

11. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

I liked the last issue a lot. So I guess the El-Aurians are the Trek version of Time Lords maybe?

12. Allyn Gibson

Not really. They are very long-lived (Guinan at least five hundred years old in the late-24th-century), their homeworld was destroyed by the Borg, but by and large they're normal humanoids.

Guinan is somewhat unique, as we learn later in Star Trek Generations because of her encounter with the Nexus in 2293. There's a part of her that's always outside of time. That's how she was able to sense that the timeline was wrong in "Yesterday's Enterprise," for instance. The other El-Aurian we saw that had the same encounter with the Nexus, Tolian Soran, was driven pretty much mad by it.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

This series is terrible, there are so many problems with it - it's hard to know where to start, the art ranges from "passable copy of a screen capture" to "I drew this with my dick", the story itself is just boring - yak,yak, yak. Seriously, how can you write a story where you have no budget concerns that feature the Borg, Doctor Who, the Cyberman and the TNG and make it so static and dull?

14. Allyn Gibson

The fifth issue reminded me of how static and dull Star Trek: The Next Generation could be at its worst. We're in a comic book, there's no budget, and yet the story felt like one of the dull, talky bottle episodes they did because they needed to save on the budget.

I've been posting reviews on the series on my blog. The review of the fourth issue covers some of the larger problems with the series. The review of the fifth issue is more positive (I felt like the series was finally fulfilling its promise), but it's still a disappointment because the series took far too long to reach that point.

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I was really enjoying this series up until the latest issue. 5 just took a dive in all respects. The art which I thought was really well done previously looked horrible this month, and the story which I always thought was a good balance between Good TNG and Doctor Who went full Who - and I really dont like full who.

Hopefully it will bounce back?

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Right - in many respects it is a faithful recreation of that era of Trek (although I'd argue their Picard isn't right) but this isn't a TV show being made in 1991 on a limited budget, it's a comic book made in 2012!

You have effectively an unlimited budget so you don't have to worry about blowing it - so why you have 24 pages of talking heads and a three page recap of an old episode is beyond me.

I mean one of the characters you have to play with is Doctor Who - if you are writing a modern Doctor Who comic and it's page after page of people standing around talking, you've gone wrong.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  17. Allyn Gibson

I agree that the characterization of Picard isn't right. He feels like movie-era Picard, not mid-TNG Picard.

For that matter, I think that the characterization of Troi and Crusher in the fifth issue was off, as well.

I scoured the flashback to "Best of Both Worlds" for something timey-wimey, something that shouldn't have been there, because that would have been about the only thing that would have justified three pages on that. Otherwise, they shouldn't have spent more than a single page on the flashback. It was necessary -- the Doctor had to understand Picard's relationship with the Borg -- but not at that length.

Yep. Over in the Treklit forum Christopher pointed out recently that the two series have a mismatch in tone. I think the differences in tone could work, but they've haven't thus far.

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This has been pretty disappointing compared to Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes so far, and the art issues are simply distracting as hell to me.

19. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I love this series so far. Yes it´s not perfect...but balancing two fandoms is not easy I guess. For some reason I´m suspecting we are steering towards a reset button solution though. Something the doctor did "let" the cyberman into trek universe in the first place...yadda,yadda,yadda....on the other hand...the doctor seems to generally avoid going back in time in his own time line (there was a comment to that effect in end of time part 1)...so...hmm...maybe...

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^Reset buttons are pretty rare in Doctor Who. Really, the only prominent one was Last of the Time Lords, and even that was arranged so that the main characters were still aware of everything that went on.