PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 30, 2012.

?

Prometheus - Poll

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. A +

6.9%
  2. A

11.6%
  3. A -

13.8%
  4. B +

18.5%
  5. B

14.2%
  6. B -

9.1%
  7. C +

8.2%
  8. C

3.4%
  9. C -

6.5%
  10. D

5.2%
  11. F

2.6%
  1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Best trailer ever :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaKqOMGPWc[/yt]

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The cast list ended up being hilarious after they succumbed to the juvenile temptation to make fun of "furrin" names.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just watch this for the first time today and I enjoyed it. It wasn't amazing, but it was still a good sci-fi movie.
    I loved the cast, with Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba, Micheal Fassbender and Charlize Theron being my favorites. It had a great look to it, both the Prometheus itself, and the Engineer facility and ship. I thought the story was pretty interesting, it had some nice nods towards Alien, but still managed to be a good movie on it's own.
    When it came I know some people were making comments about some of the scientists doing stupid stuff, but I really didn't think any of the behavior was that bad.
    The only things that bothered me was that I wasn't real clear on why David exposed Holloway to the black goo. I'm assuming it was just to see what it did to him?
    It did seem a little hard to believe that Shaw would really be able to be up and running around and jumping like she did here, after having had her abdomen opened up and then stappled back together. I know she did act like she was in pain, but I would think if someone actually did all of that they would have their guts spilling into their suit.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I was kind of fond of it myself, too. It had its problems and some very nonsensical scenes that I wouldn't have expected from the likes of Ridley Scott, but it most certainly wasn't the worst movie ever made. It still amazes me to this day that this film invokes similar visceral reactions from some who have seen it on par with anything made by Uwe Boll. I'm very much looking forward to the sequel.

5. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I'm interested in how they're going to weave the Alien and Prometheus verses together. Since Alien 5 was reportedly changed to accommodate Prometheus 2.

Also now that Alien 3 and Resurrection are no longer canon, catching up with Ripley, Newt and Hicks will be nice.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just remembered one thing I was wondering about. Have they ever explained anywhere why the company went from Weyland Corporation to Weyland-Yutani? Did somebody or some group named Yutain take over after Peter Weyland and Meredith Vickers died?
    How much later is Aliens? Is there any chance of getting a crossover movie with Shaw, David's head (and body?) and Ripley, Newt and Hicks all together?

7. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

I believe Alien takes place roughly 30 years after Prometheus.

Aliens was set in 2179.
    Alien, being 57 years earlier, was 2122.
    Prometheus was set in 2093-2094.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I don't know if you want to count the terrible AvP movies, but in the second movie Requiem, set in 2004, a female CEO named Ms. Yutani of the Yutani Corporation came into possession of the shoulder plasma weapon from the Predator in the film.

According to the Prometheus movie website timeline, the Yutani Corporation sued Weyland Corporation in 2029 over the patent for the first of the David series androids. They lost the suit several years later.

Sometime after the events of the movie Prometheus, Weyland Corp merged with or acquired Yutani Corp.

As far as the timeline goes:

Prometheus starts in 2091, the ship takes two years to arrive at its destination of LV-223 in 2093, and ends a few days later on New Year's Day, 2094.

Alien takes place in 2122. Ripley goes into hypersleep and drifts through space for 57 years.

Aliens takes place in 2179.

[ETA] Ninja'd

9. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

It went out of it's way to distance itself from Alien (LV-426), cheated Scott's whole premise question about the Space Jockey, and ... no it didn't.

You must have seen the five-minute version of the movie. Running in a straight line, anyone? Etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, high praise. There's no such thing as the worst movie ever made because everyone's list is different. I'll call it one of the most disappointing movies ever made because of the high contrast between the expectations of a renowned director and cast and what the audience actually got due to the writing and the needless distancing from direct ties to LV-426.

Where the heck did you get this information? If you say from Neil Blomkamp - dead wrong. I was hoping he would wave his Jedi hand across Alien 3 and 4 but he specifically said Alien 5 won’t undo Alien 3 and 4. Just another example of directors not giving the audience what they look forward to. I'm desperate for your claim to be true. Sadly, not. Newt, Hicks, Bishop, and Ripley are still dead, dead, dead, dead! - wantonly murdered by the writer in a character snuff film.

What he actually said:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

He says he doesn't want to undo A3/4, but he's making a movie with Ripley and Hicks thirty years older than they were in Aliens. So...we'll see.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Prometheus compatible with the AvP films as far as backstory goes?

For example, how is Peter Weyland and his Weyland Corp, reconcilable with Charles Bishop Weyland and his? They don't seem to be related...

12. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Speaking from a personal perspective:

Although I enjoyed the AvP movies despite their flaws, they seem to be "alternate universes" as they monkey with the timeline established in the five "Alien Universe" films (Prometheus and the four Alien movies.)

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the characters knew they were in a horror movie, then yeah, it was stupid.
    Thing is, they didn't. In any real life situation, where we would have gizmos that would tell us the enviroment is completely save to breath in, we would take our helmets off. We would, because we trust our equipment. Because in real life, we know stuff from horror movies wouldn't happen.

In you knew you were in a horrormovie, then yeah, you would't approach the snake-like lifeform because f**k this s**t, stuff happens in the movies when something like appears.

In real life, a scientist visiting a new world, encountering what appears to be an alien snake, would approach it, because that's why he's effing there.

People commenting on the scientists making stupid decisions like that in this movie, need to learn the difference between a Hollywood production filled with tropes, and real life.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, honestly if I saw something like the snake thing in real life, my first reaction would be to try to get a better look. Sure, trying to touch it might not have been the best idea, but people do stuff like that all the time in real life.

15. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Lieutenant Commander

I thought it was a great movie and I own it along with all of the other Alien movies. I'm looking forward to the sequel and getting some of those questions answered.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

My collection is Alien, Aliens and Prometheus. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

17. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

ALIEN: 1979-1986, 2012-?

18. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Is that the royal "we" or the stupid "we?" Because as a scientist, I'd take a dim view of breaking isolation protocols in an alien environment. "We" could barely handle ebola protocols. What are your scientific or xenobiological credentials to make such a sweeping inclusive "we" statement?

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You are a scientist. Good. If you were going into an enviroment, which might be contaminated, and you have a fancy tricorder-like gizmo that you've worked with for ages, you know it works and can trust it, and that gizmo tells you that the enviroment is perfectly save, you know it's ok to take your protective gear off. Simple as that.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Alien (1979)
    Aliens (1986)
    Prometheus (2012)

None of the other films exist for me.