7x09 Hide - rating and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Lonemagpie, Apr 20, 2013.

?

Rate episode 7x09 Hide

1. Ghost hunts are cool!

46.8%
  2. Somewhat spirited

38.7%
  3. A night like any other

8.1%
  4. Best left hidden

3.6%
  5. If not for those meddling kids...

2.7%
  1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Which didn't make much sense to me, of course the Doctor could have taken her home. Now whether he chooses to do that, or leave her in whatever time period of her choosing is another thing, but there is no reason he couldn't have taken her home. We've seen him change history before.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Some things have too far-reaching of consequences to alter. If The Doctor can somehow see the possible outcomes of such changes and know that there is a 90% chance of them having a very negative effect or somehow effecting his previous self (or cause previous experiences to no longer have happened), he might just sum it up as "can't."

3. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

He said it in this very episode though, paradoxes work themselves out.

4. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

the 2nd half is getting better slowly

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Mostly.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I liked this one--very good supporting characters, great atmosphere and a nice resolution that wasn't too soppy. Lots of great banter with the Doctor and Clara.

7. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

"By and large."

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Great episode. Finally feel they're getting back into it. Phew.
    Liked all the little references to other stuff from DW lore. Some funny moments, Doctor What, 11's final encounter with that monster. The expression on Smith's face. Classic.

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I adored this episode.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ditto...

I really liked it...or at least, I think I did. Watched it twice now and it's definitely a bit of a slow burner, and I think the kind of episode that will become more well regarded the longer it goes on (and way better than Cross' first episode.)

So Neil Cross, loves Blade Runner and now we know he loved The Haunting (good taste that man). I'm impressed at how much stuff there in in here, and the fact it goes from ghost story to sci-fi to love story in the space of 45 minutes is quite incredible because it never feels that rushed.

That said this is one of those NuWho episodes where you could really see it working in the classic 4 episode serial format.

The Tardis really doesn't like Clara does it! The age of Dougray Scott's character did bother me a bit, but I think it does just about make sense, a lot of very young men went off to war (and for all we know he didn't sign up till 1941/42).

The vortex effects were terrible, sorry has to be said.

Anyway, an odd and interesting episode. Not one it's easy to love on first viewing but impressive all the same and I think I'm going to like it more and more as time passes.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes we have.

"The Laws of time are mine to command and they will obey me"

That turned out well didn't it.

It seems likely that her disaparrence became a fixed point in time and she couldn't be taken back to her own time.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

For someone so adorably attractive I'm finding Clara a hard sell.

I'm so happy steampunk seems to have bit the dust as far as far as the Tardis goes.

I'm having a strongly emotional response to the change in the theme music.. it's thrilling.

Better than last week, prettier than last week, and did the english really dress like that in 1974?

13. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Best I've seen in a long time, and felt like it packed a lot in. We started a genuinely creepy haunted house, that was pushing the scaryness about as much as you can get away with for family viewing. Then it throws in a scifi twist. I thought the idea of a woman trapped in a grey crumbling pocket unvierse was quite ominious in its own right.

Also a good moment where Clara ponders what she means to the Doctor - are humans like her inconsequential to someone who can happily flick from the formation of the earth to its destruction as easily as we drive to the shops?

Having the monsters turn out to be not evil or dangerous just trying to reach each other again, was a nice final twist.

Also I'm slowly but surely liking Clara more. Already very happy to leave Amy and Rory in the past.

14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Everyone dressed like that in 1974.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Gene Hunt didn't!

16. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Technically he wasn't around in 1974.

17. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Count me all in for this episode... I love ghost-ish type stories.. This had elements of Doctors 4 & 5 as far as I'm concerned... Love the setting and the "hi-tech" of the 70s.

The love story angle at the end, given the empathic connection didn't really bother me in the least...

And Clara? Well, she's just simply adorable.. I even loved the "Ghostbusters" line... Jenna is a fantastic actress..

Only nitpick is that I wished the trapped time-traveler had been given more to say/do as far background goes... Not a big deal, but I wanted to know more about her.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Spoilsport :p

Actually ditto, and I wish I could put my finger on why...

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

For me the problem is still that the other versions of Clara were just a lot more interesting. The modern Clara is certainly likeable enough, but compared to the incredibly vibrant personalities we saw before, she just can't help but come across as a bit... boring.

She could just be any girl from the mall now.

According to Coleman, the original plan was that the governess would have been the full-time Companion, but Moffat nixed that idea at the last minute for some reason. Which is a shame.

20. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

(post deleted)