Is DC going to be relegated as a comicbook company?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheMasterOfOrion, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not. Red Sonja barely cracks the 10K mark . The numbers it pulls would be numbers for cancellation if it was a Big 2 book (outside of the oddballs like All Star Western/Jonah Hex). To call it a success would be very premature imo. The same for most indie titles. Outside of the Walking Dead, they can't compete with DC/Marvel titles.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

DC is in no danger.

The worst thing Time-Warner can do is slap together films to compete with Marvel.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

WB already did that when they made Green Lantern.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Warner Bros. and their production partners are the making the movies and footing the bill. DC Comic ( as opposed to DC Entertainment) doesn't really have to worry about taking a hit.

Dynamite is using licensed properties and public domain properties for the most part. let me know when they create something original. A lot Image's best books are creator owned. I'm willing to bet they'd jump at a movie or TV deal.

I don't know,I didn't see the proposal. I'd rather a bad WW film or TV show not get made.

5. Nerys Myk

Lesson learned.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A quick glance at sales numbers (for February the first month the google popped up) shows Red Sonja at just over 5,500. They would have to triple their sales just to get cancelled at DC or Marvel.

7. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still believe the comic industry is dying, especially from the big two and especially from DC this industry is dying. Comics used to sell in numbers like 320,500 easily breaking 300 K. If a book does this today its major, major news. Some the 40s, 50s and 60s DC comics would sell number in the 7 million each month. In the 80s sales drop and 1990s drop but the books still sell high, like Byrne's, McFarlane's, Busieks, the Jim Lee's the Waids they were all very big books,Xmen, Spider-Man, Superman they would selling in the millions. You would see figures of 2 MILLION and 8 MILLION etc. DC and Marvel might hold onto the top 5 and top10s thanks to cashcows like Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Xmen....these things are big brands and fanboys and kids will be this stuff no matter how crap the writing gets.
    However a lot of DC books today are being kept alive only because of sales from their big brands. The Independent comics come in and books like Walking Dead, East of West, Saga...they come sometimes in beating the big two and trash sales of Flash, Fantastic Four, some Deadpool title, some Hawkman title, Green Lantern....a lot of DC's B-list stars are being beat down by Independent companies. They are beat by Independent companies and defeated easily. Hellblazer was no where near the top ten, in the past years it ranked in at 195, the Spirit was around 284 or something, Smallville the comic does very bad and Green Lantern the animated comic can't even reach the top 300, can't even stay in the top three hundred!!
    Some of you guys can complain that Image, Dynamite, IDW and other independent titles sell low but clearly there are a lot of DC comics go to those shops dead on arrival and are being kept on life support.
    I see a future day when titles like Mars Attacks, Star Wars, Star Trek, Godzilla, Buffy, TombRaider or video game characters and possibly Japanese manga comic in and regularly start to challenge Marvel and DC for the top40. The DC company is spread too thin today and possibly a little over exposed. Is Marvel making DC's mistakes? sure it is but it doesn't seem to suffer from the same in-fighting and office politics. DC is bleeding writers, bleeding off writers like no tomorrow and some Nu-52 sales have been falling like a rock.
    Marvel is at least keeping writers or buying in new writers and artists. If you look at their movie investments, its crazy. With a big company like Disney behind them their movie studio is now buying in the top producers, writers, actors and directors of Hollywood. You look at their movies in production and its like the who is who of top Hollywood movies and directors, and each year they have new visions and new phase planned.

[​IMG]

The whole Batman-Superman seems rushed, Cavil was blindsided by the news and Bale is finished with the franchise. Warner Bros and DC need to stop snoozing, without Nolan and Batman they wouldn't have a comic book movie business

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

From 2009 to 2012 revenue from graphic novel sales went from $370 million to $335 million. Revenue from comic books went from $310 million to $345 million. Revenue from digital sales went from $1 million to $70 million. The industry is doing a lot better than most other sectors of publishing. Marvel and DC are in no danger of losing their position as market leaders, especially to manga, sales of which have gone down dramatically over the last few years.

9. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The proliferation of tablets, etc. is potentially going to revolutionize the industry in the next ten years, offering a way out of the distribution problems that have plagued the industry since the comic shop bust in the mid 1990s.

10. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

So you look at two comics, Smallville and Green Lantern the Animated version and use those as examples that DC comics is crumbling to the ground. Bwahahahahahaha!!!
    Comics in the 40's 50's and 60's sold in the millions??? Really?? In 1960 the top selling book according to publishers paid circulation was Uncle Scrooge with just over 1 million books. Superman was number 3 at 800,000. Your claim of millions is just so much hot air.
    Many of DC's nu52 didnt fair very well but they at least attempted to find new audiences with titles off the beaten path instead of throwing out multiple X, Avenger, and Wolverine titles.
    The comic industry is down as whole as is the entire print industry. People are finding other ways to get their information and entertainment.

11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I had abandoned collecting comics about 10 years ago as I moved away from a convenient shop. I've picked TPB collections on and off in the interim but that remained sporadic. In the past year, though, I've gotten back into collecting digitally. My spending on comics is a lot more than it used to be and I very much like the digital format (no ads), even on my iPhone. When I get an iPad, they will truly come into their own. And 90% of my titles are DC. I'm not worried they'll disappear anytime soon.

12. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

The entire premise of this thread is so narrowly focused as to be silly. It's totally ignored the fact that DC has trounced Marvel on television. From animation to live action, DC has continuously been on TV while marvel has struggled. How about video games...DC has had more success there as well.

13. Nerys Myk

You don't think guys like Snyder and Nolan are top talent? You don't think getting actors like Bale, Oldman, Caine, Costner and Adams ( or even Reynolds) means something?

14. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Top Selling Graphic Novels, DC places 7 behind Image, Darkhorse and Marvel
    Marvel Comics Hawkeye
    DarkHorse Avatar last Airbender
    Image Comics Studios Saga Vol II
    Image Comics Studios Saga Vol I
    Marvel Comics Blackbolt
    Icon and Marvel Comics Kickass
    DC Fairest Kingdom
    DC Before Watchmen Comedian
    Image Comics Studios Invincible
    DC Before Watchmen Nite OwL

As for Watchmen's creator?
    “When DC Comics did the recent Watchmen prequel comics I said all of sorts of deeply offensive things about the modern entertainment industry clearly having no ideas of its own and having to go through dust bins and spittoons in the dead of night to recycle things. … The announcement that there is a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen television series hasn’t caused me to drastically alter my opinions. Now it seems they are recycling things that have already proven not to work.”

The biggest comic book thing on tv is not DC its Walking Dead, Image comics

I think Nolan is wonderful, amazing Nolan is exactly what Batman needed, he brought new life to the brand and built a fantastic trilogy of box office movies
    but Snyder is just a humanist photographer, hes' too focused on the visual, the Roman, the Schoolgirl, he's a guy who made it big by bringing Miller's work to screen directing very averagely, doing it paint by numbers style. It could be argued Snyder has little talent compared to other top directors and might be called something of a hack.

savagecritic hates their retail shipping policy
    http://www.savagecritic.com/retailing/the-staggeringly-epic-incompetence-of-dc-entertainment/
    comics beat dot com says creatively DC is a mess but financially its doing just well

Looks like DC won't be relegated afterall

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  15. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DC took the overall market share in July and had 6 of the top ten books.

link

16. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Japanese manga is having problems; it suffered a blow because of Borders closing, and because of factors mentioned in the article I've posted.

: Why Manga Publishing Is Dying (And How It Could Get Better)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013